Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing partner poured out a no chill cube that has been sitting around for a while after getting stuffed around with fermentation fridges.

A couple of days ago the lid had popped off and so we were obviously concerned about what was going on inside.

Poured into a fermenter today and found this.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393582032.665149.jpg

Buh bow :(

This is the same brew that I blocked the pick up tube with hop flowers. It was cursed from the start!

Luckily we have another no chill of the same brew that seems to be fine.

After having no luck with my first lager and not having any activity for the first week I finally got some movement in the airlock in the second week.
I thought great maybe it will be ok, but after another week the gravity still hadn't move and what I though may have been krausen doesn't really look like that any more.
Today I took the lid off and found this. Any thoughts?
med_gallery_33594_1157_284265.jpg

Looks more like a mash then a ferment. Definitely not normal to my eyes and therefore probably destined for the lawn :-(

I tipped out a keg today, I feel for you brother! :beer:

Stimsoni said:
After having no luck with my first lager and not having any activity for the first week I finally got some movement in the airlock in the second week.
I thought great maybe it will be ok, but after another week the gravity still hadn't move and what I though may have been krausen doesn't really look like that any more.
Today I took the lid off and found this. Any thoughts?
med_gallery_33594_1157_284265.jpg
Nothing terribly nasty from my perspective. If you had an infection, it would be eating the delicious sugaz and you would notice a change in gravity. What temp are you fermenting at? Maybe the ferment is just super slow? What does the brew taste like?

I was thinking it looked like a mash too. Is there any grain in there?

It certainly does look like a mash, but definitely no grain in there. It's been poured through some muslin and also had about 1 - 2 litres left in the pot so that no trub got in either.

The first week it was perfectly clear. This has only formed since the air lock started to bubble. The confusing part is if the sugars aren't being consumed where is the co2 coming from. Haven't tasted it yet, might have to do that this arvo.

There's only 8 litres in there so I was tossing up weather to fertilise the garden with it and start over or give it a bit longer and see what happens.

By the sounds of it the beer has only just started fermenting and what you're seeing is krausen. If CO2 is being formed then sugars are being consumed, just not at a significant rate. also be sure to correct hydrometer reading for temperature.
Keep the batch, never ditch a beer unless it's rancid :)

The gravity has finally changed. It's down to 50 (started at 64).

Tasted it last night and it's pretty aweful and very sweet. I don't know how to explain the bad taste, it's definitely not good.
I've never thought to taste the wort when first in the fermenter, so I can't even compare the difference (will have to do that next time). Unless the wort tastes bad to start with i'd say this one has to go.

Wort doesn't taste "bad" at all, it certainly doesn't taste like beer though.

The smell (and to an extent, taste) of wort reminds me of a strong cup of sweet black billy tea (more "gumtree-like" than black tea), so it's sweet, but astringent (someone correct me if that's the wrong descriptor). It should definitely not be unpleasant though.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Wort doesn't taste "bad" at all, it certainly doesn't taste like beer though.

The smell (and to an extent, taste) of wort reminds me of a strong cup of sweet black billy tea (more "gumtree-like" than black tea), so it's sweet, but astringent (someone correct me if that's the wrong descriptor). It should definitely not be unpleasant though.
Good description. I got concerned about tannins the first time I tasted a hydro sample a few brews in - very tea like - but it goes away.

I'd definitely see that one out, even if it tastes bad. When it finishes chill a sample and judge based on that - better yet a carbo cap. To my taste, even finished warm and flat samples don't taste great.

Hello fellow Brewers,

Adding to whats already been discussed, I recently made two brews and decided on try the S-04 yeast. Fermentation was normal, and then I racked them both into secondaries on two different days.

Come bottling time for the first I noticed this (see image). I've had a film like substance before many times and I've never been worried, nor am I worried about this latest incident/s.

I sampled the beers before racking into bulk prime vessels and tasted fine to me on both occasions.

Still waiting for bottles to carb up.

I've never brewed with this yeast, so I'm not sure if this is an after effect of it or not. I`m going to make another this weekend using the same yeast to see if I can produce the same results.

But as mentioned before, it tasted like beer in the fermenters.

Anyone else had anything similar like this with this yeast or secondary fermenting?

Cheers

marksy

fermenter_whitestuff.jpg

Looks like an infection to me mate, but see how the beer goes, it will probably be fine to drink.

Yeah thats what I was thinking but i got it with both beers in secondaries a few days apart. See what happens.

Looks like acetobacter ...
Half the reason why I don't do a secondary any more
Unless ( IMHO ) you fill the secondary with CO2 , and are anal sanitary , you increase your chances of an infection in the secondary...

Beer tasted fine. Put another one down using the same yeast s-04.

Bad day. Been a couple of bad days really. last 2 brews gone bad. To me they taste like oxidation has occurs. Lots of cardboard tastes.

This may have been down to my own laziness. After boil I simply put cube up the tap on the urn (biab in a urn) and opened tap to flow down into cube, drop of maybe 300mm where it would have splashed on the bottom of the cube. This is where I am guessing the oxidation is occurring. Have bought a valve and hose so now will hopefully remedy this.

Other source of infection may be after the 1st of the above brews I experimented with first wort hopping and threw the hops in free balling not thinking of the exposed element. In the boil some of there residue burnt on to the element which I haven't fully been able to remove.

My first brew a hoppy apa so its not as noticeable. This one was a weissen and completely unpalable. Cardboardy and think there may have been some other infection also. Have bottled 330ml of it to bring to a brewclub.

As always any advice greatly appreciated.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Comon Schwaztbeir dont end up in this thread! fingers and toes crossed.

bump

dave doran said:
Bad day. Been a couple of bad days really. last 2 brews gone bad. To me they taste like oxidation has occurs. Lots of cardboard tastes.

This may have been down to my own laziness. After boil I simply put cube up the tap on the urn (biab in a urn) and opened tap to flow down into cube, drop of maybe 300mm where it would have splashed on the bottom of the cube. This is where I am guessing the oxidation is occurring. Have bought a valve and hose so now will hopefully remedy this.

Other source of infection may be after the 1st of the above brews I experimented with first wort hopping and threw the hops in free balling not thinking of the exposed element. In the boil some of there residue burnt on to the element which I haven't fully been able to remove.

My first brew a hoppy apa so its not as noticeable. This one was a weissen and completely unpalable. Cardboardy and think there may have been some other infection also. Have bottled 330ml of it to bring to a brewclub.

As always any advice greatly appreciated.

attachicon.gif
photo 1.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 2.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 3.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 4.JPG

attachicon.gif
photo 5.JPG

dave doran said:
I do this every brew now with no noticeable negative effects, so I doubt its the cause of the cardboard tasting beer. That's assuming the wort was piping hot at the time.

Burnt crud on the element isn't a good sign, but I'm not sure if the flavour would be described as cardboard, it's more of an acrid burnt twang.

Back