Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave doran said:
Bad day. Been a couple of bad days really. last 2 brews gone bad. To me they taste like oxidation has occurs.
Correct me if I am wrong here (and its likely) but prior to fermentation isn't it advisable to have an oxygenated wort to help the yeast get started?

After chilling (to approx 50 deg C) we always let the wort flow from the kettle through the air (no hose) and into the fermenter. In the hopes that the rough landing will oxygenate the wort. It goes into the fermentation fridge and when it hits pitching temps 12 hours or so in goes the yeast.

Sure we do run the risk of infection I accept that but again isn't oxygenation at this point a desired thing??

Excuse the cheesy wordplay but the word "WORTerfall" just popped into my head to describe our method of transfer. The photo below has no hose and is just the worterfall in full stream.
fermenterpour.jpg

Oxygenation with cold wort (close to fermentation temp) = good
Oxygenation with hot wort = bad
Oxygenation after/during fermentation = bad

Blitzer said:
Oxygenation with cold wort (close to fermentation temp) = good
Oxygenation with hot wort = bad
Oxygenation after/during fermentation = bad
Good to know... which brings me to my next question how hot is hot?

In over 50 brews we pretty have never had an issue as far as we know.

What are the effects of hot oxygenation?

have a listen to the podcast I just linked.

basically it can lead to long term flavour instability.

Im thinking it must have picked up infection either in the cube or in the starter. Never tasted the wort before adding the yeast.

Dave, I can't see anything wrong. Pics look good, hops on an element not an issue (many do it) and oxidation prior to pitching is a good thing (granted I haven't heard the podcast yet re: hot vs. cold). Surely a strong cardboard taste would develop over time if oxidation was at fault?
You're not going to get an infection from a boil, I'd be looking at your fermenter first if you even have an infection.

Thanks wiggman.
Tasted a bit funky when I added the yeast but after 2 weeks it was plain nasty. Couldn't drink it.
Have bought one of the cheapo Bunnings fermenters to get the next brew happening but will be giving this fermentor a thorough clean and sanitise before anything goes back in there.

i second the wiggman. Pictures look completely normal with no sign of infection. The cardboard flavour comes from oxygenation post fermentation. In case i missed it what was the recipe?

Was a weissen.

62% Wheat
16% Pilsner
16% Vienna
6% Munich

Bit hard too describe. Dry cardboardy taste. Got my missus to taste it and although she doesn't drink much beer she thought it was undrinkable as well.

Dave,

have you cleaned your tap lately?

And by clean i mean, taken it apart and cleaned it?

Yeah mate. The plastic one on the fermentor gets cleaned after every batch. The tap on the kettle I think missed a clean this time round now that I think back.
Replacing that with a ball valve now so I can attack a nylon hose for transfer from urn to cube.

No mate. Yeast was 6 months old but gone through 2 steps on a stir plate.

Starters always taste like cardboard to me because they sit on a stir plate. This is why I like to chill and decant them before adding to my wort.

Edit: I am less fussy if it's a beer with a lot of flavour like a porter.

Did the yeast flocc properly after fermentation? I mean relatively speaking. Was there a defined yeast cake at bottom of fermenter?

Yes I noticed a fairly large yeast cake at the end.
Thinking I might try brew it again this weekend.

Sorry I also meant to ask did you smell it before hand?

What cleaning products do you use? How did it smell and taste during fermenting? I made a beer once that smelt beautiful then I cleaned the bottle bucket with detergent that was minty, the beer didn't taste month but you could taste the detergent and I haven't drunk any of the beer.

Smelt a bit nothing. Not bad not good. Tasted v bad though.
Cleaned with aldi version of napisan and flushed with water then with no rinse sanitiser. Keg king one.

Latest posts

Back