Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the one with a really foul smell. The infection on the RIS doesn't have much aroma.. Wort smells ok.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
That is the one with a really foul smell. The infection on the RIS doesn't have much aroma.. Wort smells ok.
I get those fluffy lumps often when using notto. Never had a bad smelling brew when they happen though and the beer has always tasted fine. Maybe have a taste before you dump it.

Killer Brew said:
Did you drop popcorn in the first one??
haha, nope. I think that developed on the side and came loose when I move the bucket. It is a soft goo texture. Wort tasted fine, but tipped it. Heaps of trub, almost yeast cake like at the bottom.

Absolutely nothing on the bottom of the bucket with the bread infection. My first ever brew no-chill to those buckets. Failure. Once cleaned they'll be promoted to grain.

I've bought a few more cubes now.

Hi guys need some experience eye to give me some advice about a a current beer I have on the go, ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470129987.260689.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470130116.744054.jpg

Just getting curious of the stuff on the outskirts is it just yeast or krausen that hasn't yet flocculated or is it the start of an infection? Haven't had an infection yet but haven't brewed in over a year and this on is my first getting back into it. I hope I haven't been to careless up until this stage because I want to cold crash and keg it for this weekend lol.

Gravity has been stable over 3 days, was fermented at a fairly stable 20 degrees and taste and smell is just how I remember each time I have brewed this particular beer in the past, any thoughts? Thanks guys.

sluggerdog said:
Howdy,

Not sure what this white ring is. It tasted fine out of the fermenter so I have kegged the beer. Everything else seemed normal.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks

mPD978h.jpg
I had this once before in a starter. Stocks were low and wort was ready, caution was thrown into the wind and beer was brewed. Very slight ring around the fermenter but I kegged and bottled it anyway. No noticeable issues, decent beer by my standards. I'm guessing it was a bit of white mould.

Think I'm being a bit paranoid about this one? It's an IPA with 2 packets of US05. Just a bit more of the brown stuff on top than Im used to? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470302275.883867.jpg

None that would crap in my fermenter if that's what you mean[emoji3]. I've seen us05 krausen with little bits of brown but this seems a bit crazy?

It does look darker than normal but I wouldn't be stressed.

Cant remember where I read it but the dark brown stuff on top of the krausen is hop matter, which makes sense if this is an ipa, ive had similar many times it'll be fine

After nearly 3 years brewing, my first infection [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20] tastes ok so I'll see if I can drink quickly ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471085896.913448.jpg

Bit of a query here. Not sure if it belongs in this thread or not.

I've put down a Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale (First time with this kit)
It was a recipe I got from another forum,
Coopers Bootmaker Kit
Coopers Wheat Malt
500g DME
50g Galaxy

While fermenting the Krausan didnt look like normal. It was Darker and Very Thick and Creamy. Some quick google searching said it was fine.
However, I'm on day 10, I've checked the gravity 3 times and it hasn't changed.
I had a swig from the Hyrometer like normal (Can't let it go to waste ;p) but theres always been a slight sour note to the end of it.
Would this be indictation of Infection?
To be fair, its the first time i've used Star San, I usually just use Coopers Sanitser on teh FV and Equipment and leave to soak for 24 hours, then rinse with boiling water.

I tried to take some photos of the Krausan after removing the collar but I couldn't get a decent picture and I wasn't keen to remove the lid.

Should I just stick it out? Its currently Cold Crashing.

Edit: I've never had an infection before so I'm new to this.

What yeast? Just kit yeast? (New kit yeast may be slightly different ferment)

Stick it out, more than likely you'll be fine.

Have another taste in a couple of days and see how it has developed.

Back