Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, Yeast is BRY-97

Yeh, I'm going to stick it out.
Hopefully keg it over the weekend.

I'll see how it goes after carbonation I guess.

Thanks.

Don't cold crash it or keg it if the gravity hasn't changed yet mate

Sorry, I should have explained that better. The Gravity has dropped from 1.055 to 1.013 and hasn't changed from that in 3 days.

Ben1 said:
After nearly 3 years brewing, my first infection [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20] tastes ok so I'll see if I can drink quickly
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471085896.913448.jpg
Looks much like my first infected lagers found last month. Had two batches lagering at the same time and found this growth on top a few months later. Cold crashed it and it cleared up nice so I bottled it anyway. Should be ready to try in a week so fingers crossed. Any thoughts as to what went wrong?

Garfield said:
Looks much like my first infected lagers found last month. Had two batches lagering at the same time and found this growth on top a few months later. Cold crashed it and it cleared up nice so I bottled it anyway. Should be ready to try in a week so fingers crossed. Any thoughts as to what went wrong?
Really not sure. I'm usually pretty good with sanitation but must have let it slip. My fermenter has a few scratches in it so I'm going to replace it and all other cold side items. Hopefully it'll get better!

Tonight I opened up my fermenter to add gelatin, and found this. Is this an infection? Krausen remains? Yeast raft?

I started dropping the temperature on this batch this morning. Last time I looked at it was on Monday, when I last checked the gravity. It looked like a standard post krausen batch, then, just a little hop oil on top. Alcohol is currently at 4.99%. Smells a little appley, but otherwise fine. I didn't taste it today.

For this batch, I pitched WLP090 slurry from the previous batch (which had probably been sitting in the fridge too long), then Wyeast 1272 after 24h when the WLP090 hadn't started. So maybe the different yeast/combination has something to do with it.

In maybe 20 batches, this is the first one I've had that has looked like this. It seems like it might be yeast rafts caused by the recent temperature drop, but I'd love a second opinion.

possible_infection-s.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475747608.078636.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475747628.550307.jpg

WTF is this ??

Is it as bad as I assume ??

14 days @ 18' us05

Wasnt like this 3 days ago when I took gravity reading...

looks funky, I'm sure another guru could identify the type of infection
what does it taste like?

How did you go about taking the gravity reading? what's the fermenting environment like?

I ferment in a fridge, 2 FVs in a fridge and the other FV is fine.

Tastes good. Taste the same as the other FV.

Took reading the same way as always.

I agree. Looks funky. The green looks like hop matter. What yeast did you use? Is the white stuff like pieces of a fragile membrane?

Similar stuff I saw on my beers stripped all the flavour and left the bottles as hardcore gushers.

No hops went into the fermenter.

I used US05

The white shit just looks bad....

Guess its my first garden brew.....

I would not tip that shit into the garden or compost. If it is some kind of mould, you are just contaminating your site with the spores.

peteru said:
I would not tip that shit into the garden or compost. If it is some kind of mould, you are just contaminating your site with the spores.
agree, anything suspicious I find gets carried to the street

Cheers boys...

First infection in 4 years..

It really hurts, oh well chalk it up to experience.

Its now the Gutter Ale

Latest posts

Back