Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 4 infections in the first year.... .... ....

Sad I was..

This tasted somewhat slightly tangy.
Bottled it anyway...
Belgian ale with T58 yeast.

1475931643320.jpg

Pratty1 said:
^ that looks fine to me.
Thanks Pratty, maybe it just tasted different after cold crashing.
It's my first proper partial mash with 2kg grains too. Hope it works out!

I just discovered that the past 2 batches that I bottled are both infected.

I suppose the prime candidate for the infection source is my bottling bucket.

But aside from tracking down the source of infection, can I ask for some advice about this: While I was emptying bottles from 2 full batches of infected beer into my kitchen sink I occasionally got it wrong and managed to have some gush all over my kitchen and some spray up on the walls, windows and ceiling. The kitchen is where I brew and bottle.

I wiped everything down as best I could be bothered, parts with sponge & water, other parts with paper towel, and some easier to reach areas with disinfecting wipes. But should I be more vigorous than that? Should I get at every surface with some sort of disinfectant or is that worrying too much? (if so, any tips on what to use that won't damage paint, glass, tiles, lino, stainless steel etc?)

EDIT: And apologies for the lack of photos of beer on my kitchen ceiling, but I was in no mood for happy snaps ...

If it was mould, I'd be semi-worried. If it was bacterial, just air the place well on a hot day to make sure that everything is as dry as possible. As long as you don't have lumps of this stuff peeling off the ceiling and dropping down into your work area, you should be OK.

You will always have some air-borne contaminants. Do what you can to minimise exposure.

Vinegar or bleach would be a good start!
I brew in the shed and it's always at various stages of filth. Haven't had an infection touch wood!
Always hit everything that touches with the beer with a good amount of cleaner /sanitizer. Seems to do the trick so far.

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster, I'm thinking I may have an infection. Spent 2 and a half weeks in the fermenter. FG is about 1.012 hasnt changed since I tested it about a week and half ago. Hyrdo sample tastes and smells alright. What do you guys think?

*Edit- added photo

Resized_20161023_185900.jpeg

I can't see too much wrong with that either mate. Sometimes I've noticed little groupings of bubbles like that and other times the whole yeast cake has gone to sleep and the surface is cleaner. The yellow looks like healthy yeast from the krausen. Colour of your beer looks nice and clear as well.

I've tended to rouse up the yeast by swishing around the liquid and bringing everything into suspension, and this also cleans up the inside of the fermenter too. Your FG is good, and I'd cold crash it as well.

good4whatAlesU said:
Thanks I hope so. What's up with that orange stuff on top of the krausen
Looks brown to me but it's normal, nothing to worry about

good4whatAlesU said:
Thanks I hope so. What's up with that orange stuff on top of the krausen?
It's the "hop drive" with hop resins and other trub, being lifted to the top of your wort (now beer). Very normal.

Get used to it if you're going to keep opening the ferment vessel and exposing the beer to airborne bugs.

Good to know, thanks.

The photo is through the glass top of my cheap ass Kmart pot fermenter (19 bucks). I try not to open the fermenter until the shows over... Maybe to throw a few dry hops in towards the end.

Latest posts

Back