Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked my saison onto raspberries and pomegranate a week ago. Didn't pasteurise them. This is as it looks today with a white skin covering the fruit sitting on top of the beer. Any hope or am I tipping it?

image.jpeg

well... theres always hope, rack some out from under it and have a taste.. if it's good, rack it all (except for the last 5L) and drink it like it's your last day on earth

Perhaps I should rack from beneath leaving the 5 litres on top and let sit in the new fermenter a few more days to see if the pellicle reforms? I bottle only so am worried about bombs!

Killer Brew said:
I racked my saison onto raspberries and pomegranate a week ago. Didn't pasteurise them. This is as it looks today with a white skin covering the fruit sitting on top of the beer. Any hope or am I tipping it?

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Don't dump it unless you have a reason to.

Does it taste or smell bad? Is it not completely attenuated and you have glass bottles as your only option?

If so, maybe dump it. Otherwise you're fine.

This hideous thing became a fantastic Cumquat lambic:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462413274.229396.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462447070.703234.jpg
Just had a glass of my stout. Tastes like metal mixed with plastic and almost no roast. Smells like bottle tops. Tasted ok a month ago, so here's a photo of my latest infection.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Don't dump it unless you have a reason to.
Does it taste or smell bad? Is it not completely attenuated and you have glass bottles as your only option?
If so, maybe dump it. Otherwise you're fine.
This hideous thing became a fantastic Cumquat lambic:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462413274.229396.jpg
Racked it and watching for any regrowth. Smells ok. I do have a couple of kegs, just no way to dispense them as yet. If it stays ok I may put it into keg and just leave it until my keezer is done.

just for the education of others

white wine barrel
dried out
re-wetted
filled with star-san and water
put tube in to rack liquid out - thought I'd be clever and use the white wine water for the brew
pulled the tube to see this

note to self - next time buying a barrel, have the brew fermenting don't leave it for so long

droid said:
just for the education of others

white wine barrel
dried out
re-wetted
filled with star-san and water
put tube in to rack liquid out - thought I'd be clever and use the white wine water for the brew
pulled the tube to see this

note to self - next time buying a barrel, have the brew fermenting don't leave it for so long
Its, its.....beautiful

Here I was thinking my sinus infection produced impressive results. Hats off to you sir.

Importantly, what the fk can you do about your barrel of death?

@mofox
I don't know right now, I'm numb....not sure that I could pull much white wine flavour from it

could run something through to kill it then soak then put some high alcohol through it - is it worth it? dunno but worthy of some discussion around a fire come July eh and then there's the IPA that I brewed from the barre, it's nearly at FG - maybe I'll bring that to the case swap :blink:

@grott - you called it mate "X-Files IPA"

mofox1 said:
Here I was thinking my sinus infection produced impressive results. Hats off to you sir.

Importantly, what the fk can you do about your barrel of death?

droid said:
@mofox
I don't know right now, I'm numb....not sure that I could pull much white wine flavour from it

could run something through to kill it then soak then put some high alcohol through it - is it worth it? dunno but worthy of some discussion around a fire come July eh and then there's the IPA that I brewed from the barre, it's nearly at FG - maybe I'll bring that to the case swap :blink:

@grott - you called it mate "X-Files IPA"
Listening to some episodes of the Sour Hour with Jay from Rare Barrel, he has had guests say they clean with steam/boiling water, rinse and then put a brew in. Not sure I would be that game.

Having said that they put a mix of citric acid and star-sany equiv into their barrels to clean/keep them.

Just a thought.

Back