Infected wheat beer... I think.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I have finally suffered my first infected batch. It was an all grain (biab) Weizen. If I had to guess, I would say it is an acetobacter infection based on the faint vinegar smell and taste and what I have read. There is also a fair bit of astringency and after a week in a corny the smell is just not right. The only thing that is confusing me is the fact that my extract weizens have often had a bit of a tang to them in the past, but not like this. Is there any chance that it could be due to something else like mash ph or temps? I am an all grain newbie.

I used Doc's Heferweizen recipe from the database, and fermented with wb06 at 22 deg. I was hoping it would improve, but I am just about ready to tip it. I am extra pissed about it though because I also kept 5l of the fermented beer to steep onto some blueberries. I haven't tasted that batch yet but I'm assuming it will be just as bad!

I'd suggest that you let someone else have a taste, see what they think before you tip it out.

Vinegar is never right but as above - have another smell/taste and get a second and even third opinion before ditching.
Also try and work out what may have gone wrong.

Thanks guys, I would be more than happy for anyone nearby Highett (Melbourne) to pop over and give me an opinion. Previously I have always found my wheat beers a bit tart and not particularly nice at first but they have really improved after a few months in the keg. Maybe this is a characteristic of wb06??

I have been trying to figure out where in infection could have taken hold... There was no swelling in the no chill cube, but it only spent a night in there. My sanitization practise for the fermenter is to rinse, wipe down and soak in a napisan solution. The fermenter had been full of the napisan solution for a couple of weeks prior to rinsing it again right before pouring in the wort and pitching yeast. One thing I didn't do this time was remove and pull apart the tap - I just rinsed it thoroughly then ran some napisan solution through it when it was first added, then ran some more through it prior to rinsing for the batch in question.

Fermentation was quick, I took a gravity reading after a week and was happy so I chilled it for a couple of days then kegged. I sprayed the tap down with star San after taking the sample. Keg was clean, it had only been used for soda water previously so all it got was a star San spritz.

I am also hoping that the ten minute IPA which has spent almost a week in the same fermenter has not gon bad as well. I took and tasted a sample last night and I don't know what to think.

Napisan is a good cleaner and has some antibacterial properties but you are better off cleaning, rinsing, allowing to dry and then using some kind of no rinse sanitiser like starsan or iodophor. If you do just stick with the napisan, make sure you use it with boiling water, empty after thoroughly cleaning, dry, then rinse again with boiling water prior to use (1st option preferred).

Your hefeweizens should taste great early. If you need to wait months before they taste 'good' then something is very wrong. 3 month old hefeweizen doesn't usually taste very good at all.

GalBrew said:
Your hefeweizens should taste great early. If you need to wait months before they taste 'good' then something is very wrong. 3 month old hefeweizen doesn't usually taste very good at all.
Agreed. This is my first all grain attempt though, so I was wondering if there could be something in my process that I need to alter other than sanitisation/infection. Maybe dial back on the fine crush? Brewing with Melbourne tap water, I have never messed about with mash PH, but I am open to learning...

Strangely though, as the beer begins to carbonate I am struggling to detect the vinegar notes I thought I was getting when it was flat but I am still detecting some astringency and more bitterness than I anticipated. Sadly, no banana/bubblegum which I was hoping I would get fermenting @ 22 deg. I hate to say it, but I am starting to find this more much more palatable. I will definitely give it some time and seek some more experienced opinions. Hopefully my next hefe will be delicious straight out of primary.

rossbaker said:
Agreed. This is my first all grain attempt though, so I was wondering if there could be something in my process that I need to alter other than sanitisation/infection. Maybe dial back on the fine crush? Brewing with Melbourne tap water, I have never messed about with mash PH, but I am open to learning...

Strangely though, as the beer begins to carbonate I am struggling to detect the vinegar notes I thought I was getting when it was flat but I am still detecting some astringency and more bitterness than I anticipated. Sadly, no banana/bubblegum which I was hoping I would get fermenting @ 22 deg. I hate to say it, but I am starting to find this more much more palatable. I will definitely give it some time and seek some more experienced opinions. Hopefully my next hefe will be delicious straight out of primary.
Wb-06 won't give you very much banana aroma/flavour, it will give you a whole bunch of clove though which is why some people aren't that big a fan of it. When I have used it I have kept the temp a bit cooler around 17-18C to keep the clove flavour a bit more restrained. With your cubes, napisan is fine but I would leave it overnight then thoroughly rinse with hot water and then put some starsan in, seal it up and give it a shake. Your cube will be fine for a very long time. pH most likely won't be your problem, but if you tasted vinegar then most likely it is infected.

Latest posts

Back