Inception Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
I'm trying a Galaxy/Galaxy brew - BB Galaxy with Galaxy Hops. Something ready for around NYE, nice and easy to drink in the hot weather.

I've never used Galaxy malt before, so after some suggestions/feedback on the below...

Inception Ale

4kg Galaxy
500gm Carapils
500gm Torrified

10gm Galaxy @ 60
60gm Galaxy @ 10

No Chill

Mash in at 55c for 10 mins, ramp to 65 and hold for 60 mins. Mashout at 78c.

US05 @ 18c
21L @ 70% yields 5.01% at 40.5 IBU

I wouldn't think so. I picked it up at the last FullPint BB. Labelled on their spreadsheet as BB Galaxy Pale.

slcmorro said:
I wouldn't think so. I picked it up at the last FullPint BB. Labelled on their spreadsheet as BB Galaxy Pale.
And it was special ordered in from the supplier, as we don't usually range BB malt.

slcmorro said:
I'm trying a Galaxy/Galaxy brew - BB Galaxy with Galaxy Hops. Something ready for around NYE, nice and easy to drink in the hot weather.

I've never used Galaxy malt before, so after some suggestions/feedback on the below...

Inception Ale

4kg Galaxy
500gm Carapils
500gm Torrified

10gm Galaxy @ 60
60gm Galaxy @ 10

No Chill

Mash in at 55c for 10 mins, ramp to 65 and hold for 60 mins. Mashout at 78c.

US05 @ 18c
21L @ 70% yields 5.01% at 40.5 IBU
Galaxy @ 60mins....... :huh: no chill....... :excl:

I have tried Galaxy @ 60m , then a brew @ 30m and another brew @ 20m.....all got astringencys/grassy/not good.

Took ages, like well over a month for that to mellow out and really wasnt pleasant. Best results without the astringency I have found is sub 10mins.

Feel free to try it but If it were me, Id be loading the kettle @ 10m with 35g and another 35g @ 5mins to get ~ 32ibu plus what the no chill adds.

Galaxy hops can be great in a SMASH when used in the right quantities.
Here's something I made a few brews ago, was awesome to drink on a hot day not too hoppy just right.
Theres no reason why you couldn't sub the Ale malt for the Galaxy pils malt:

[SIZE=small]
BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3K RECIPE REPORT
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]
BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.​
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]
(Please visit www.biabrewer.info for the latest version.)​
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]
SMASH Ale
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Recipe Overview[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Brewer: Chris[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Style: Single Malt, Single Hop Ale[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Source Recipe Link: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]ABV: 4.6% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Original Gravity (OG): 1.048[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]IBU's (Tinseth): 27[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.56[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Colour: 3.8 EBC = 1.9 SRM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 84.4 %[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 72.3 %[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Times and Temperatures[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Mash: 90 mins at 66 C = 150.8 F[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Boil: 90 min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Ferment: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Volumes & Gravities[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small](Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Total Water Needed (TWN): 36.25 L = 9.58 G[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Volume into Boil (VIB): 34.34 L = 9.07 G @ 1.039[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 26.83 L = 7.09 G @ 1.048[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 23 L = 6.08 G @ 1.048[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Volume into Packaging (VIP): 21.3 L = 5.63 G @ 1.012 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to www.biabrewer.info (needs link)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]100% MEU AU Ale Malt (1.77 EBC = 0.9 SRM) 5154 grams = 11.36 pounds[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]9.4 IBU Magnum Pellets (13.5%AA) 7.2 grams = 0.254 ounces at 60 mins[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]17.6 IBU Galaxy Pellets (14%AA) 21.6 grams = 0.762 ounces at 20 mins[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Mash Steps[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 66 C = 150.8 F[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Mashout for for 1 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Miscellaneous Ingredients[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]1 Tab Whirfloc (Boil) 10 Mins - Wort Clarity[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Chilling & Hop Management Methods[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Hopsock Used: N[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Fermentation & Conditioning[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer[/SIZE]

Please note 20 Min addition is direct to cube, no late kettle addition.

Expand? A miniboil? I'm planning on doing a full 60 min boil but only doing a 10min single addition of hops.

Make sure you dry hop at the end of ferment with the same amount used at 10mins. Only for 4-5days then cold crash it for a couple of days before packaging. Should be tasty.

so you want to drink a scooner whilst already in the middle of drinking a scooner? love the name

slcmorro said:
Expand? A miniboil? I'm planning on doing a full 60 min boil but only doing a 10min single addition of hops.
I would say Markbeer is referring to a method of getting late boil hop/flavour aroma into a no-chilled beer. Either reserve some wort from brewday, make a small batch with extract or draw some wort off from the cube as described here. Boil for as long as your earliest late kettle hop addition would have been, adding hops as appropriate, and pitch the freshly boiled mini-batch directly into the fermenter along with the wort from the cube. Chill the cube to a lower temperature than normal to compensate.

I love galaxy and use it often, experience (some of it bad) has taught me not to use it any earlier than the last 15 minutes of the boil. If you are no-chilling then I'd use at the 5 minute mark or even better - cube hop.

I reckon the grass/biting bitterness comes from boiling it too long. To me it's a flavor/aroma hop and you can get a lot of flavor out of it with something like 1.5 g/l in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Latest posts

Back