Pilsner Recipe Critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Hit me with it, but include reasons and/or alternate suggestions:

This is the plan -

4kg JW Pils
0.3kg Carapils (body, mouthfeel)
0.2kg Vienna (hoping for a hint more 'maltiness')

20gm Magnum @ 60
10gm Saaz @ 10

Mash @ 64c for 60 mins.

WYeast 2001 @ 12c for 4 weeks flat, no d-rest.

Providing I hit 75% eff, I should end up with a 1049 OG, 1015 FG, 40 IBU and 4.5% Czech Pils ripoff around 21L which I'll lager throughout the entire winter.

Thoughts?

If you're just using ingredients you have, it looks fine but I'd be getting the vienna up to at least 25% or drop it altogether. If you're buying ingredients, I would go for weyermann or best rather than jw. From memory 2001 has a bit of an apple character I'm not fond of.
I like either all pils or pils plus a bit of caramunich (decocted 2-3 times) but I think what you have will make a nice beer depending on how fermentation goes.

In regards to diacetyl - some yeasts throw more than others, all things being equal. That recipe uses a different yeast so check if 2001 is prone. The munich lager (2308 from memory) certainly is.

Guess it can't hurt to do a 16c D-rest for 48 hrs at the end of 2 weeks. Cheers for the suggestions.

Are you saying you'd omit the Carapils, or just adjust the JW Pils and Vienna accordingly?

Latest posts

Back