Hop suggestion with this PA/IPA recipe + cube hoping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
Thinking of doing my third BIAB brew this weekend and using up some of the ingredients/left overs.
Hoping to make a string APA or IPA style.

Was thinking of just using all the grain, aiming for a ~1.060 and doing an IPA style
Some quick calcs in biabacus shows a 21L into fermenter recipe of
Grain
- 5.3kg Marris Otter
- 0.25kg Carapils
- 0.25kg Light Crystal
=> 1.060 OG, EBC 14.2
Yeast
US05 (1 or 2 packs)

Can some suggest a hop schedule/weights for me.. Have read that matching the IBU to the OG is a good aim, so an IBU of 60 would be the aim. Also thinking of cube hoping and have seen numbers of ~100g for an APA and ~150g for an IPA as rough hop weights used...

The hops I have available are:
Hops
Centennial (14%) - 450g
Citra (10%) - 250g
Galaxy (14.5%) - 200g
Amarillo - ~100g

If i went with a Citra IPA, 'biabacus' shows the following calcs add up to a ~ 60IBU beer which seems to match the rough gram numbers above..
40min - 30g
10 min - 100g (added as a cube hop)

So, any suggestions on hop selection and schedule for a simple IPA would be great

Aim for about 1/3 total IBU from the boil, calc the rest as a 20 min for the other 40 IBU, (cube) I fond this ratio is divine, hey hop if bottling, keg hop if legging as desired

Citra and Amarillo.

Use the cube hopped hops as a 20 minute chilled addition for approx readings, but don't forget, that 20 minutes or cube hopped 60IBU isn't the same as a 60 min 60 IBU addition - bitterness perception is different as the hop additions get later.

And BTW I hate you for having that collection of hops :p

And what Yob said - 1/3 from bittering and the rest late is what I used for AIPA if they're no chilled and cube hopped, 50/50 if I chill and the 50% late is from a 10 minute addition.

bottling, so i assume that was 'dry hop' instead of 'hey hop' ;)

A centennial boil hop at 60min and a citra cube hop, to do the 1/3 & 2/3 breakdown of
14g Cent @60min = ~20IBU
68g Citra @20min(cube) = ~40IBU

Those numbers look roughly right?

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
And BTW I hate you for having that collection of hops :p
Blame Yob... they came from him in my first order a while ago... :)

Latest posts

Back