Session IPA; hop schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermonster

Reaction score
So the oxymoron of beer styles, the session IPA.

I've Googled some people's attempts at this style and the general consensus is to use all Vienna malt. This one I'll be doing a 38L batch using 5kg Vienna 1Kg Munich, and 1kg LDME to boost (maybe adding 500g Rye, undecided, comments sought). Ballpark 4.3%

Using the hops I have on hand (Chinook, Williamette, Citra Noble) I'm hoping for any suggestions on hop schedule.

I got the idea for using Williamette with Chinook from; US Session IPA (Sorachi, Chinook, Willamette) - North Riding Brewery - Untappd (except using Citra Noble instead of Sorachi)

If I were to guess I'd be using maybe 50G Chinook at 60 mins and then a combination of 50g each (Chinook, Willamette, Citra Noble) near flameout (no chill). Ballpark 60 IBU.

Any hints from anyone who's used these hops in this style, particularly in combination with one another would be great.

Last edited:
Yep yep, 38L being 2 kegs. I aim for batch sizes to suit either one or two, works nicely with my 10Gal SS brewing mash tun and 50L kettle. Prolly be a really nice IIPA at 19L with those ingredients, but I can't drink IIPA's all the time.
Sure would be.

But I agree, too much IIPA puts me on my arse too

Back