Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Hop Rescue

Discussion in 'Hops' started by Schikitar, 17/4/19.

1. Schikitar

Posted 17/4/19
    Hi guys,

So I brewed a DIPA (8.4%) a few weeks back, it's a bit unusual as I used about 1.8kg of fresh/wet Hallertau hops from my mates garden, not your typical hop for an IPA I wouldn't think..

So the hop schedule went like this;
    • 25g Citra @ FWH
    • 250g Hallertau @ 20mins
    • 250g Hallertau @ 15mins
    • 250g Hallertau @ 15mins
    • 250g Hallertau @ 5mins
    • 800g Hallertau @ Whirlpool
    • 25g Amarillo @ Cube Hop
    • 20g Centennial @ Cube Hop
    • 50g Idaho 7 @ Dry Hop
    I crash chilled, transferred to keg (with gelatin) and left it to carbonate. So upon tasting it there seems to be a good amount of that initial bitterness balanced against the high ABV. I'm really happy with the body and the bitterness, it has a noble/earthy flavour about it and whilst I want to maintain that it would be nice to get a little more citrus/flower in there. What's disappointing is the aroma, there practically isn't any, I mainly attribute that to the small dry hop I did (for the style).

So, I've pulled the keg out of refrigeration, it's currently sitting at about 15 degrees. I was thinking of adding a second bigger dry hop to this, the reason for raising the temperature is to ensure I dry hop close to fermenting temps to get the fruit/flower aromas and not to pull the grassy/vegetable notes as can happen with dry hopping at serving temps.

I have an idea of what I was planning to do (in terms of hops/amounts) but before I mention that I'm curious to see what others would suggest in order to achieve the outcome I'm looking for.. penny for your thoughts?

Cheers!