Black IPA / hop combo check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ80

Reaction score
I don't brew all that many overly hopped beers, but am keen to punch out a black IPA to use up some of my home grown flowers. Keen for an idiot check on the hop schedule to make sure I'm on the right path!

Warrior at 60 mins for 30 IBUs
Amarillo pellets at 10 mins for 15 IBUs
50g each of Amarillo pellets, cascade flowers and Chinook flowers in the cube
50g each of Amarillo, cascade and Chinook (all pellets) dry hopped for 5 days at the end of ferment.

OG will be high 1.050s and the yeast will be US05 at 19C. 22L batch size.

Looks pretty much right, AJ.
Personally I'd ditch the warrior and use some chinook flowers at FWH (droid is familiar with this advice [emoji1]), maybe to less IBUs (say ~15-20).
The 10min addition is worth a shot, or you could just cube the lot. I'd go either way. Generally I'd cube the lot (-> laziness & optimizing hops), but there may well be additional/different oomph from a late boil or whirlpool addition if you've got the hops to spare.
I'd increase the dry hop to 200g+, but that's again just me. (Moar!!!)

That's all my 2c opinion on simply what I'd do for myself. I think what you've got is totes fine, as is.

Do flowers go ok in the cube? The standard cubes probably have a big enough opening but I'd imaging them to a bit of a bugger getting them out or blocking when decanting? Especially if they work their way into the handle.

technobabble66 said:
Looks pretty much right, AJ.
Personally I'd ditch the warrior and use some chinook flowers at FWH (droid is familiar with this advice [emoji1]), maybe to less IBUs (say ~15-20).
The 10min addition is worth a shot, or you could just cube the lot. I'd go either way. Generally I'd cube the lot (-> laziness & optimizing hops), but there may well be additional/different oomph from a late boil or whirlpool addition if you've got the hops to spare.
I'd increase the dry hop to 200g+, but that's again just me. (Moar!!!)

That's all my 2c opinion on simply what I'd do for myself. I think what you've got is totes fine, as is.
Cheers techno - the warrior at 60 was more about dialing in specific IBUs as opposed to the guesswork with flowers. 50g dried is all I got from my Chinook plant so keen to use them all in the cube!

Danscraftbeer said:
Do flowers go ok in the cube? The standard cubes probably have a big enough opening but I'd imaging them to a bit of a bugger getting them out or blocking when decanting? Especially if they work their way into the handle.
I use those wider gauge opening cubes and don't have a problem with them. I have a stainless pasta strainer which fits nicely into the top of a fermenter. Decanting the cube through it keeps the flowers out of the fermenter quite well. I also use a sanitised spoon to give the flowers a squeeze to get more goodness out of them!

I usually pitch a cube with flowers pretty quick as I worry about extracting too much vegetative character from the hops. I've not left one longer than about 48 hours so don't have any experience to suggest this is the case or not...

Brewed this the other evening and pitched the cube yesterday. Smelled like hop juice - fantastic.

Back