Immersion Chiller, Pickup Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
hi there fellas,

putting together my new and improved keggle and a thought struck me with regards to my chiller. is there any problem with making it a permanent part of the kettle? i.e. it enters through the top, drains down in a spiral and then exits out a similar hole the one i have for my tap. it there any forseeable problem with this arrangement?

on another note alltogether, i got one of those stock standard steel braid hoses to use as a pickup tube. how is the usual method of using one of these? i thought i read somewhere that you remove the rubber bit on the inside? this is being used to drain a KETTLE, not a MASH TUN, (i'm not a full brewing jedi yet)

Lobby

No problems with having an in place IC and if you seach for Tony's kettle you will see how he has done it. The only problem I see would be cleaning.

Should be plent pics around on how to use the braid but I would recommend against using it in the kettle unless ou are using whole hops or plugs. Pellets will just clog it super fast... dont ask how I know <_< You may want to try a FB in the kettle as a few brewers have had success with using them as a hop screen.

hmm, so what IS the recommendation for a drain tube in a kettle for using pellets if i didnt wanna shell out for a fb?

Lobby

hmm, so what IS the recommendation for a drain tube in a kettle for using pellets if i didnt wanna shell out for a fb?

Lobby

Go the FB lobby, you should have plenty of shell!!!

Regards

Graeme

Regards

Graeme

I've had good success using the ghetto hop screen. You will need to use some plugs to filter hop pellets. Works well for me.

Do a quick search for it, thread by ReVox

That was so bad I laughed :blink:

Lobby whirlpooling to the accepted method for removing pellets.

Latest posts

Back