Im New To Aussiehomebrewer And Home Brewing In General

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asuly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im new to AussieHomeBrewer and home brewing in general, I have done many Spirit distillations, and also pot distillation of Absinthe and many other herbal drinks, anyway they all turned out great.

I love good mead, Sweet sack mead is my fav, Oh and what is called Ale mead or beer mead.I hate dry stuff in general esp mead thats dry. :angry:

So i wanted to try and do a home brew of sweet or sack mead using 10LT of water! thats my starting point,

Can anyone offer any help in thi matter, such as how much hoeny will i need for sweet or sack mead kg and what type of yeast will i nead? in the USA the generaly use LAVIN D47 whats good in Australia which i can get from home brew shops etc etc? :D

Hi Guys,

Im new to AussieHomeBrewer and home brewing in general, I have done many Spirit distillations, and also pot distillation of Absinthe and many other herbal drinks, anyway they all turned out great.

I love good mead, Sweet sack mead is my fav, Oh and what is called Ale mead or beer mead.I hate dry stuff in general esp mead thats dry. :angry:

So i wanted to try and do a home brew of sweet or sack mead using 10LT of water! thats my starting point,

Can anyone offer any help in thi matter, such as how much hoeny will i need for sweet or sack mead kg and what type of yeast will i nead? in the USA the generaly use LAVIN D47 whats good in Australia which i can get from home brew shops etc etc? :D

Asuly

You might want to check out the JAO thread thats going on. That seems to be a fairly popular sack style mead for mead beginners.

If you don't want to go the JAO route you will want to pick a yeast with moderate attenuation. Most brew shops will carry some basic white wine yeasts. You should be able to get the data sheets on the web. You then need to make your must with enough honey to max out the yeast with some sweetness left over. Or for a sack a lot of sweetness left over. Honeys vary but in general 1kg in a 4l batch will give you around 12% so 1.5kg/4l is probably the ballpark you are after. You'll want to add nutrients as per the directions and oxygenate well to get things started. Add acid once fermentation is complete.

You might also want to keep the distillation thing a bit quiet... we don't talk about that here. The mods will close a thread down real quick if you mention it.

Cheers
Dave

Asuly

You might want to check out the JAO thread thats going on. That seems to be a fairly popular sack style mead for mead beginners.

If you don't want to go the JAO route you will want to pick a yeast with moderate attenuation. Most brew shops will carry some basic white wine yeasts. You should be able to get the data sheets on the web. You then need to make your must with enough honey to max out the yeast with some sweetness left over. Or for a sack a lot of sweetness left over. Honeys vary but in general 1kg in a 4l batch will give you around 12% so 1.5kg/4l is probably the ballpark you are after. You'll want to add nutrients as per the directions and oxygenate well to get things started. Add acid once fermentation is complete.

You might also want to keep the distillation thing a bit quiet... we don't talk about that here. The mods will close a thread down real quick if you mention it.

Cheers
Dave

THANKYOU no probs just new to it all

Latest posts

Back