Im Back...and I Think I Stuffed My Brew Again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernography

Reaction score
Holla,

WELL - I recently started working full time... and all I have to say is F**K THIS!! I have hardly had a chance to think about brewing, let alone actually do any BOTTLING or brewing, but thank christ for the long weekend! (Literally, according to the fairy tales haha)

SO I went to inspect my dry enzyme cooper's lager before I trundled off to get the ingredients, and it has some filmy looking white scum floating on top, with some bubbles which have appeared to have dried out into solid bubbles.

Apart from the scum and bubbles, the brew smells and tastes fine. Do yas reckon it's worth bottling? It's been sitting in the fermenter about 4 weeks after the fermentation is complete. I have NFI what the whitey scum is, but it doesn't look silky or fluffy (indicating mould)

Thanks

Lots of us work long hours and still brew AG beer that takes longer that a 15 minuite coopers can...... try 8 hours work brewing with cleaning ect.

I recently had beer get a white film on it and it ended up tasting crap. Definatly infected, but if you can drink it, dont let fear...... or work :eek: hold you back.

does the film look like this?

cheers

edit: spelling and added pic

infected_wheat.jpg

It doesn't have the spots or the excessive thickness of that one... my film is translucent and covers about 2/3 of the top surface area.

And while I *know* most of you also work full time and manage to brew... I am finding it difficult to feed all my hobbies at once...not to mention obligations :icon_vomit:

Sounds/looks like Acetobacter to me.

You should be OK if you rack/ drain the brew from under the scum.
Be prepared to leave a litre or two for the bathtub/ drain to ensure that you do not transfer the bugs.
Do not re-use the yeast (unless you acid-wash first).

Keep the beer cool (bottles or kegs) and you shouldn't get progress of the acetic flavour. Kegging is recommended to avoid acetification of the beer. Can you say "Vinegar ale"?

Les out :p

Hmmm... I have had a vinegar ale before. MAybe it's something I need to watch out for. I'll bottle it and hope it comes out OK, and stow it up in the shed in case I get a crate full of nukes.

Better to risk a decent brew than to write it off completely. Thanks everyone!

Back