Is My Brew Stuffed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirhobbit

Reaction score
So...
3 weeks ago I brewed up a JSGA style extract recipe, had it in the fermenter which was in the fridge cooling down the last couple of degrees before I pitched the yeast (US-05 which had been re-hydrated and was sitting in a closed container on top of the fridge). While I was waiting I had a seizure while sitting in an office chair on a tile floor, dislocated my shoulder, fractured my arm, bruised my groin, bit my tongue nearly in two and hit my head on a desk on the way down. Needless to say I ended up in hospital for the week.

After 3 days I remembered the state of the brew and managed to give my wife instructions on how to pitch the yeast. When I got back home after a week I could see karusen on the brew but no bubbles in the airlock. After I tightened the airlock I started to get bubbles through the airlock and 12 days after the yeast was pitched I racked to a bottling bucket, bulk primed and bottled the brew.

With the exception of the delay in pitching this is my standard process and I've never had an infection before but this brew is very cloudy - I put a whirlfloc in with 10 min to go on the boil and normally I get pretty clear beer. I couldn't taste any off flavours in the beer but it was quite bitter for this recipe so could the delay in pitching the yeast stuffed this brew? Over the three days that the rehydrated yeast sat on top of the fridge its possible that it got up to 30 degrees and I don't know what temp it would have been when it was pitched (gotta love Darwin weather). Is it stuffed or is there anything I can do to rescue it?

Cheers!

First - glad you're ok. Beer is beer and can be made again. You can't.

There is every chance that some unwanted microbe has affected the brew and heat would not have helped. Drinkable is probably the best you can hope for. Drink when needed, monitor if it changes/worsens and get onto the next, seizure free beer.

Just to check - brew was at stable final gravity after that 12 day period before bottling wasn't it?

Yep, FG was 1012 for two days before I bottled it.

Everything is ready for the next brew to go on tomorrow!

Hope you're better mate, or at least on the mend. All the best

Your beer may have picked up an infection of some type as the wort is sugar heaven for some many nasties. Then again, it could be fine and the yeast just hasn't dropped out yet.

If you bottled in glass, store it somewhere safe like a cupboard or even boxes. If it is infected the buggers may chew through the sugars the yeast can't get to creating bottle bombs. Flying glass isnt pretty

Wow, glad you are ok too.
If it is good call it Seizure Pale. May be difficult to recreate though.

indica86 said:
Wow, glad you are ok too.
If it is good call it Seizure Pale. May be difficult to recreate though.
If it's ok I'll put the recipe up!

Robert Vine said:
If it's ok I'll put the recipe up!
It would have to be pretty damn good before I'd follow any recipe that includes the direction. "Bite tongue near in half"!

headfreak said:
It would have to be pretty damn good before I'd follow any recipe that includes the direction. "Bite tongue near in half"!
Well the brew is stuffed, horrible sickly sweet taste and smell to go with it. Whole lot went down the drain yesterday. At least that means you don't need to self-mutilate to get a good brew!

Back