Ideas for closed transfer from basic HDPE fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2917.jpg
IMG_2916.jpg

Found a good way to do closed transfer from non pressurised. I used a silicon tube nozzle as a reducer to get down to beer line size.
Found a bit of teflon tape was needed to get a good seal.
Plan on straightening the taper on the tap nozzle as this should help it seal better.

View attachment 114437View attachment 114438
Found a good way to do closed transfer from non pressurised. I used a silicon tube nozzle as a reducer to get down to beer line size.
Found a bit of teflon tape was needed to get a good seal.
Plan on straightening the taper on the tap nozzle as this should help it seal better.
Is that a caulking nozzle?

Last edited:
IMG_9250.JPG

I tried this today but it failed. Seeking feedback on how to fix it. Cheers!

Looks right to me, as long as the fermenter isn't sealed preventing air going in to replace the liquid. Only other thought is that hop debris can get stuck in the line or the disconnect or post springs.

Thanks mate there was a bit of hop debris in the hose. I’ll try again next week.

Thanks mate there was a bit of hop debris in the hose. I’ll try again next week.

This happened to me when I did it yesterday.

I had cold crashed with the fermenter leaning away from the tap, so it was all sweet for the first 10L. I was in a bit of a rush so tried to move the fermenter and it must have rustled up some of the dry hop that had crashed to the bottom, and that plugged the disconnect up. I had to take it off and clean it twice...
At that point I unscrewed it from the MFL side of the push in fitting and ran off about 100ml until it was nice and clear, then it was smooth sailing from there.

Lesson learned - don't touch the fermenter once it's draining, and only rack to the keg when I have at least half of an hour spare, as the 4mm ID line that I have doesn't flow quickly!!

Secondary will go on the floor. Already has dry hops in ready for transfer ...
Makes much more sense. Originally saw beer in the lower tube (looks like brown liquid) and thought it was ready to go. Good luck with it.

The bottom hose has wort in it to get the air out of it. The tap on the left is open & the tap on the right is closed, (so it wont blow off the hose under fermentation pressure...)
The dry hops have been sitting the the secondary since day 1. Sitting in the cool, dark & under CO2, I hope they'll be ok when I transfer. I'll let it sit for another week or so before bottling.

What does this mean mate ?
Ferment in the primary, capture the gas in the secondary, transfer to the secondary equalising the gas (so it will transfer) with the gas ending up in the primary and using the gas in the primary to prevent a vacuum and keeping the beer carbed when serving from the secondary.
002.JPG Most of the gas now in the primary
034.JPG If you want to dry hop into the secondary.
005.JPG This was an English bitter about 3 days after transfer.

Ferment in the primary, capture the gas in the secondary, transfer to the secondary equalising the gas (so it will transfer) with the gas ending up in the primary and using the gas in the primary to prevent a vacuum and keeping the beer carbed when serving from the secondary.
View attachment 114461 Most of the gas now in the primary
View attachment 114460 If you want to dry hop into the secondary.
View attachment 114462 This was an English bitter about 3 days after transfer.
WEAL, please start a YouTube channel. This looks amazing and I need more details.
Have you posted anywhere else on the forum this setup?

Back