IBU calculation from whirlpool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyrebird_Cycles said:
yeahsciencebreakingbadmeme.jpg

Droopy Brew said:
Husky, I think your 40% utilisation at whirlpool may need some revision mate. Im not sure you would get 40% from a 120 minute boil?

Happy to be corrected with some science but. Lyrebird Im looking at you.
Can't see where anybody said the WP utilisation rate was 40%. My calc is about 5%.

husky said:
I have beersmith set to 40% utilisation for whirlpool additions.
I do a 5 min whirlpool @ 95-98ish deg then chill and do a 20 minute stand @ 80ish deg and count this as a 20 min WP. Working well for me and I generally add 90% of my hops in the WP.
Referring to this ^

Pratty also mentioned he sets at WPU @ 25% which is about a 60 minute addition equivilant.

I usually set at 5%.

OK thnks I missed that.

AFAIK Beersmith has the whirlpool utilisation as a percentage of boil utilisation, so if you were getting 30% in a 1 hour boil a factor of 40% would give a net utilisation of 4% for 20 minutes whirlpool (0.3 x 0.4 x 20/60)

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
OK thnks I missed that.

AFAIK Beersmith has the whirlpool utilisation as a percentage of boil utilisation, so if you were getting 30% in a 1 hour boil a factor of 40% would give a net utilisation of 4% for 20 minutes whirlpool (0.3 x 0.4 x 20/60)
Yes, that is my understanding. After sampling my latest batch however I will be reducing this utilisation factor for next time since it has come out less bitter than I was expecting for the 600g of hops I used in my 21L batch.
My 40% is an attempt to capture my whole process as I let it WP(no cooling) for 5 mins before dropping temp to 80 for 2 mins. All trial - error - adjust.
40% is just the value Beersmith allows us to adjust(%of boil), not the actual utilisation.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
OK thnks I missed that.

Ok that makes a lot more sense!

% of boil utilisation rather than % of total aa utilisation- gotcha.

well ive never done this before and could not put any input to what you guys are talking as its over my head LOL

the 2min is my whirlpool. i was thinking at flame out i would these hops , start chilling down to 80 and stand for 20min and then continue chilling.

am i completely wrong?

cheers guys.

oh and yes im just on the free version atm

OK that's interesting; ignore the numbers I posted above. I'm going to have to rebuild the calculator to allow it to figure in hop stands. Shouldn't be too hard.

To help with this: how long does it take between flameout and reaching 80 oC? Once you start chilling again, how long does it take to reach 50 oC?

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
OK that's interesting; ignore the numbers I posted above. I'm going to have to rebuild the calculator to allow it to figure in hop stands. Shouldn't be too hard.

To help with this: how long does it take between flameout and reaching 80 oC? Once you start chilling again, how long does it take to reach 50 oC?
Everyone's system is likely to be different, can time taken be built into the calculator as a variable?
My system will chill to 80degC in approx. 3 mins hold for hop stand and then take 15 mins to chill to 50degC

not sure as i never check temp at this stage, will run with this i think and record

just paid for BF and the recipe designer still the same, no whirlpool??

oh ok i got it, you need to use the online builder. thats bit gay

husky said:
Everyone's system is likely to be different, can time taken be built into the calculator as a variable?
My system will chill to 80degC in approx. 3 mins hold for hop stand and then take 15 mins to chill to 50degC
OK, my calculator now allows all those variables to be input. I assumed you'll lose a couple of degrees during the hop stand so that's in there as well.

Using them, I now get contributions of 8.8, 7.7, 28.8 and 21.3 IBU for a total of 66.7.

I will upload the new calculator (V 4) to the original thread tonight or tomorrow, I have to go tend to my curing oven (time, tide and epoxy wait for no man)

Droopy Brew said:
HI Lucas,

You can in brewers friend. When you enter the hop addition to the recipe use the drop down list to select whirlpool. It will then give you the option to add utilisation and wort temp.
Im surprised to see how high some guys here set it. I usually work with 5-6% and find it is on the money.
hi mate, so what is your whirlpool / hop stand process?

on brewer friend if i change time or starting temp the ibu doesnt change?

cheers

this what i get with BF online builder, roll with it??

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Batch 45. AIPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 22 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.22%
IBU (tinseth): 93.14
SRM (morey): 11.11

FERMENTABLES:
4.658 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (81%)
0.5 kg - German - Red X (8.7%)
0.311 kg - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.4%)
0.22 kg - German - Wheat Malt (3.8%)
0.06 kg - German - Chocolate Wheat (1%)

HOPS:
6 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.1, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 8.83
20 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 10.23
100 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 30.79
150 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 95 °C, IBU: 43.3

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2017-01-12 13:09 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-01-12 13:09 UTC