I Got A Xxxx Tour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougsbrew

Beer Sloth
Reaction score
im off to xxxx today for a tour to check out there co2 recovery, water treatment and biogas facility.
and to sample some of their inhouse brews. :icon_cheers:

im off to xxxx today for a tour to check out there co2 recovery, water treatment and biogas facility.
Regardless of what you think of their beers I think a tour of any brewery is interesting.
Have a good day dougsbrew.
Cheers
Nige

XXXX heavy actually tastes pretty good in the Ale House. Got something to do with freshness and only having to be transported 100m I'd guess. I organised a tour for a bunch of work guys a few years back and they kept the Ale house open until the Broncos game that night for us (and others) a big night with many blank spaces. :icon_cheers:

So was it like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
XXXX heavy actually tastes pretty good in the Ale House. Got something to do with freshness and only having to be transported 100m I'd guess. I organised a tour for a bunch of work guys a few years back and they kept the Ale house open until the Broncos game that night for us (and others) a big night with many blank spaces. :icon_cheers:

its awesome how they can do that for you. ive heard there quite a good employer too, might have to drop off my resume.

Awesome! I was lucky enough to get a behind the scenes tour of Swan brewery last week. The sheer magnitude of these operations is mind blowing.

Enjoy it mate :icon_cheers:

XXXX heavy served at the Ale House and also at the Brekky Creek out of wooden cask is a subtly different beast to XXXX mega as it's unpasteurised. Boring history lesson: back in the 70s and 80s before they rebuilt their kegging plant, all beers out to a certain radius from the brewery (Ipswich, Caboolture etc - not precisely sure) were sent out unpasteurised and they only nuked the beers going to the likes of Gympie, Bundberg etc. etc. as the metro kegs would be back at the brewery within a few days. I used to notice a real difference when I came down from Maryborough to Bris.

Hey Doug, make some enquiries about XXX and Carbine Stout - however I doubt they'll revive the latter as JW no longer make the Choc Chit for them. <_<

XXXX heavy served at the Ale House and also at the Brekky Creek out of wooden cask

They also have this at the Rainbow Beach Hotel, only Fridays I think.

Hey Doug, make some enquiries about XXX and Carbine Stout - however I doubt they'll revive the latter as JW no longer make the Choc Chit for them. <_<
I believe it happened the other way Bribie. JW no longer makes Choc Chit because they cancelled Carbine Stout, thus removing a sufficient customer base for the malt.
Carbine was quite a nice porter in my opinion, although I'd hesitate to really brand it a stout. Nice beer though.

I believe it happened the other way Bribie. JW no longer makes Choc Chit because they cancelled Carbine Stout, thus removing a sufficient customer base for the malt.
Carbine was quite a nice porter in my opinion, although I'd hesitate to really brand it a stout. Nice beer though.

Yup that's what I was getting at, if XXXX decided to reintroduce Carbine then JW would have to crank up a batch specially for them, and maybe they can't do that any more as I guess doing "chit" malt is a speciality all its own.
Probably the only way nowadays to sample choc chit is to....

Judge a certain BABBs entry of mine coming up

keeps well frozen.

;)

XXXX heavy served at the Ale House and also at the Brekky Creek out of wooden cask is a subtly different beast to XXXX mega as it's unpasteurised.

apparantly this isnt true, i was told that the beer that goes into casks is pasturised, its the same as what goes into kegs stub etc.
ale house only does off the wood on fridays. there are a few more pubs now doing off the wood, even one up in townsville.
the carbine has been buried last production 2009, and the xxx has also been axed - replaced by xxxx summer.

they use to use 10 litres of water to make 1 litre of beer. now they have reduced this down to 2.2 litres.
with this reduction their water bill is now $130,000 a month = $1.56 million pa.
they are self sufficent for co2 gas, and there yeast ends up on your toast (if your a vegemite eater).

They also have this at the Rainbow Beach Hotel, only Fridays I think.

Last time I was there it was Saturdays Jeff from 4pm, and Bulmers cider on tap too.

Screwy

Regardless of what you think of their beers I think a tour of any brewery is interesting.
Have a good day dougsbrew.
Cheers
Nige

Well said Nige.
Glad you enjoyed the tour dougsbrew and thanks for sharing your findings with the rest of us, it is always interesting to here what breweries are up to no matter wether there large commercial or boutique.

apparantly this isnt true, i was told that the beer that goes into casks is pasturised, its the same as what goes into kegs stub etc.

Well that is a sad change :(

When I did the tour a few years ago they stated that it was pastuerised as they needed some live yeast in the barrel to aid the beer against spoilage
Havent had one off the wood at the brekky for a while now and probably wont again

Latest posts

Back