I am new to home brewing please help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourtesy Cus

Reaction score
I am quite new to brewing and loving it after I drank my first 30 tallies In one week lol.. Much disgust to the swmbo... Anyway I have put down two brews tomorrow..One drama. I have bottled my last brews in pets which are $14 for 15 in my case I need 60 = $56 I think. I have 12 glass Tallies here and I can obtain 12 tallies at $2... My question is can I use pet caps on tallies or do I have to fork out the $49 to buy a bottle capper to save my brews. If that makes sense to anyone please help I'm on the Sunshine Coast qld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are cheaper cappers available, though probably not as good, you and, only you can answer the question of "am I in thins for the long hall". Myself I keg most of my beer. but the couple of litres I have over from each batch goes into bottles and I love my bench capper almost as much as my young assistant who thinks it's a great toy ( 3year olds what can you do). Welcome to the family of brewers. Yes brewing your own is cheaper, but only if you take a longer term view. For myself I can say I did what I did to make beer for me, and my beer has made vast improvements as I have made my journey of improvements to knowledge, method and equipment. Believe me when I say: if at the start of this journey I'd had the coin and foresight to blow $3500 I'd be streets of where I am now. Quality equipment is the key

You can get a cheaper capper, the type you hit with a hammer. This is how I started out and it does the job. A bit slower than a capper and you need some kind of firm rubber to sit the bottles on so they don't break but it does the job.

Then keep an eye out on gumtree or eBay, people often sell whole setups including bottles and cappers for not much.

My wife is very reasonable so when I explain the efficiency of brewing to her logically she gets it. For example after spending the best part of the day cleaning, sterilizing, priming, filling and capping bottles and explaining that kegs would take much less time I ended up with a keg setup.

Say homebrew costs $10-15 a carton to make and you drink a carton a week on average. That's a saving of about $1500 a year and that's a conservative estimate! Then you just need to explain how a bit of equipment will reduce the cost or time in the long term and invest it back into brewing! Although I have found the line 'the more I drink the cheaper it is!' Has never been particularly effective!

Kingy said:
Buying a solid bench capper that bolts to the bench is a valuable asset. I've seen lots of them on eBay 2nd hand around 20bux. Don't buy a hand capper you'll regret it.
Yeh, what kingy said.. the hand/hammer cappers work but they're a pain in the ass and if you're using non-coopers tallies which are a lot thinner then it's almost certain you'll break a couple while working out your technique. Get a bench capper, it's worth the investment.. or even better, get a keg set up and only brew enough to fill the keg :)

The poor man pays twice.

Al

contrarian said:
You can get a cheaper capper, the type you hit with a hammer. This is how I started out and it does the job. A bit slower than a capper and you need some kind of firm rubber to sit the bottles on so they don't break but it does the job.

Then keep an eye out on gumtree or eBay, people often sell whole setups including bottles and cappers for not much.

My wife is very reasonable so when I explain the efficiency of brewing to her logically she gets it. For example after spending the best part of the day cleaning, sterilizing, priming, filling and capping bottles and explaining that kegs would take much less time I ended up with a keg setup.

Say homebrew costs $10-15 a carton to make and you drink a carton a week on average. That's a saving of about $1500 a year and that's a conservative estimate! Then you just need to explain how a bit of equipment will reduce the cost or time in the long term and invest it back into brewing! Although I have found the line 'the more I drink the cheaper it is!' Has never been particularly effective!
till she actually starts taking note of the amount of trips youre making for that one little bit of equipment... trust me, she'll catch on eventually :lol:

No good brew shop down here so most of my stuff comes by post so she has a pretty good idea! I'm pretty happy with my BIAB set up at the moment and in a few years time I'll have 'saved' enough for a turn key 3V if that's the way I decide to go!

You're probably right though!

Until you get your bottle collection built up, a good system is just to use 1.25L soft drink bottles, tip em out and rinse them. 18 will do a brew and if you get the 80cent soda water variety it'll cost you half of the brown bottles. Add a couple of sugar cubes to each (cheaper than the carb drops) and you are set.
Keep in a dark place as light can skunk beer.

That's basically all I used until I started kegging. I'll trot out this good old photo as the older members here are probably missing seeing it :p
(they were 2L bottles, Aldi don't do that size any more)

Peak beer.jpg

Thanks all for the advice. I went to woollies and bought 18 2.25l bottles at $1 each so it was a cheap exercise to save these two brews. Next time I won't have a brew day unless I have all equipment lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit your local recycling centre for crown seal bottles, should be plenty and if your lucky cost nothing or close to.

Back