How To Transfer Hot Wort From Kettle To Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Na, no problems, mate. I just would have thought you would get better gas usage having a 5 -10cm gap. I use a 3 ring with a medium pressure adjustable reg biult into a stand and was advised to have a decent gap for better heat direction.
Sorry for the OT. :beer:

Cool, that's a relief.....

Actually had given this some thought before regarding better heat distribution. May take it further and actually build a support that leaves some space.

cheers,

Nath

It will cause infections and stop your airlock bubbling. Seriously.

i've heard it an be a gateway to the really hardcore issues like chill haze and head retention... ;)

It will cause infections and stop your airlock bubbling. Seriously.

:icon_offtopic: Good to know there is no health issue. It may become a RSPCA issue regarding the potential danger to kittens. I will change my ways before the four corners investigation and the government banning of all gas burners burning to close to pots .... Thanks for the heads up Jyo.
Cheers
BBB

:icon_offtopic: Good to know there is no health issue. It may become a RSPCA issue regarding the potential danger to kittens. I will change my ways before the four corners investigation and the government banning of all gas burners burning to close to pots .... Thanks for the heads up Jyo.
Cheers
BBB

:p

to get a syphon going you can lower the hose all the way into the wort, jame your pinky in the end, pull the hose out and under the pot and whip your finger out presto! easy ...untill you get a tap for your boiler :D

sim

Luckily my boiler stand just happened to be the right height to just run straight into the cube via silicon hose. It was right around this time that I got rid of my cfwc ha ha. And don't worry, botulism is ok once you get used to it :)

I purchased silicone tube and an auto syphon and today used it for the first time. These things are fantastic! Also did first no chill cube - another fantastic idea to save time on brew day. It is really good to be able to ask a question here and get some great advice. Thanks.

You can transfer hot wort to a no chill container with just a piece of silicon hose.

I clean my metre of silicon hose then,

fill it up with water and fold up each end to seal hose. Put one end over no chill container and other over kettle. Try to simultaneously release folding on kettle end (release folding so it goes into wort) and no chill end (important kettle end unfolding occurs sightly first - gloves might help if you don't like 90 degree wort contact with skin). The water within and gravity (oh yeah, the no chill container is lower than the kettle) creates a flow and will pull the wort into the container. Try to get the silicon hose to submerse into the liquid filling the container quickly to reduce oxidation. Have some towels about (and a second person might help but i do it myself) to relieve the burning sensation of holding the hose with hot wort in it in the kettle whilst draining (always fun) and to squeeze the air out of the no chill container when sealing it after.

Live on the edge.

Silicon handles hot wort, no issues with siphon and hot wort (though ss siphon would be cool). A tap would be best . . .

this is pretty much how i do it. one of those easy syphon things looks good though, i think i might just have to get one myself.

Does anyone know of an alternate place to buy the stainless steel siphon tips while Gryphon are closed? It seems like a great solution, especially as I have some silicone hose already.

For those using the water filled hose method, do you just let that extra water go into the cube? I did my first AG yesterday and setup a bucket next to the cube thinking I'd let it drain into the bucket until beer started coming out then quickly switch it. I lost a bit more beer than I hoped so will probably just settle for an extra 200mL of water in the cube next time.

If it's water, I can't see a problem doing that. But probably not a good idea if it's sanitiser instead. :p

If th wort is eighty degrees plus, a little bit of water to start the siphon will be fine. Fifteen odd no chills, no infections. I would be more concerned using a sinister in the hose, dont let that get into the beer.

Latest posts

Back