How To Gelatinise Wheat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstacey

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to gelatinise raw wheat grains? What temperature and rest time should I use and do I gelatinise prior to crushing or after?

I assume I add it to the rest of the mash AFTER it has been gelatinised, rather than rest the whole mash at the gelatinisation temp?

You should be fine to just add your wheat straight into the mash with your malt. Crushed.

The gelatinisation temps for wheat starch are between 52 and 64C so its going to do its thing at the same temperatures as your normal mash.

You might consider using a 55C protein rest in your mash schedule if you are using a significant portion of wheat. Raw wheat is much higher in protein than barley malt.

Here's a link to an excerpt from the brewers handbook that has some good basic info on cereal adjuncts.

Cheers

Thirsty

Thank you Thirsty.
I had planned to step the mash so that should all work out fine.

on a whim the other day i added 250gms of wheat flour to 6 kgs of pils malt on top of a single temp mash. haha anyone for pasta!

You should be fine to just add your wheat straight into the mash with your malt. Crushed.

The gelatinisation temps for wheat starch are between 52 and 64C so its going to do its thing at the same temperatures as your normal mash.
In the spirit of providing excessive information.

This means you should mash at or above 64C.

The actual gelatinisation temperature (it's a discreet value, not a wide range) varies from season to season and presumably from variety to variety. Most of the time any wheat you have in your hands will be gealtinised at below 60C, but it's not something you can depend on. To ensure that the wheat is gelatinised you need to mash at or above the maximum value.

Happy brewing,

Keith
ps Thanks for the link TB.

Latest posts

Back