How to full mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIMO

Reaction score
Well bloody hell,

It's friday night and your'e suppin on the amber nectar thinkin about upping the anti to full mash brewing.
This has happened to me not all that long ago. So i'll share with you all what works for me at the moment.

EQUIPMENT
1 or two x 15l stock pot $15 big w (hot water supply)
1 x 40l stainless stock pot $60 From camping store (mash/boiling pot)
1 x three ring gas burner and bottle $80 also from camping store
12mtrs of 3/8" copper tubing @ $6/mtr (wound into coil for cooling) and short piece for a syphon tube
1 x good thermometer $ 12 from hbs
1 x 20 lt plastic food bucket $o from local kebab shop (this is my lauter tun/strainer)(drill as many 2-3 mm holes in the bottom as you can)
3mtrs food grade reinforced plastic hose and a couple of hose clips $10 from bunnings (fits onto copper tubing).
1 x inline plastic tap $2 from local hbs
2 x coopers style fermenters 30l
1 x long stirring spoon.

So here we go i'll describe a simple batch using this set up.

RECIPE

5 KGS PALE
200G CRYSTAL
20 SAAZ 60 MIN
20 SAAZ 15 MIN
20 SAAZ 5 MIN
YEAST LAGER
1/2 tsp calcium sulphate
1/2 tsp sodium chloride

METHOD

Heat 15 lts of water to 67c add salts
Add grains whilst stirring keep stirring and maintain this temp for 60 mins (you will be able to turn burner off stop stirring and leave it for up to 20 mins at a time).
After 60 mins raise temp to 72c for 20 mins then your done mashing.
Heat up 15-25 lts of water to 80c then pour into a spare fermenter (hot liquor tank)
Place 20 lt bucket (lauter tun) inside coopers style fermenter this should sit above the tap level but not to high (i use childrens lego to hold up my bucket).
Pour some of the 80c water into bucket till it's level with the base of the bucket. (back up water).
Ladle the grain mix into the bucket till you've emtied most of it then tip the rest in.
Let it settle for 5 mins or so.
Then open tap on fermenter and start collecting wort.
I tip this wort back onto grain bed to filter out until it starts to clear up (this can go on for 40 mins or so) (recycling the wort) .
When it's clearish then it's time to sparge.
connect a hose to fermenter with 75-79c water in it and slowly pour in top of the grain bed while matching the flow into the kettle.
It's important to do this very slowly it takes me a good 45mins to sparge the grains.
the water level should not go beneath the top of the grain bed.
Sparge till you've collected enough wort for the boil 27lts in this case.
Bring this wort to the boil then add bittering hops in hopbags or loose at 60 mins.
Second hopping at 15 mins, finishing hops at 5 mins.

After the boil sit pot on a high flat surface and whirlpool to drop suspended protiens .
go and have a beer for 30 mins while the protiens drop to the bottom centre of the kettle.

Then in another bucket/fermenter/sink whatever place your copper coil 3/8 tube and water and as much ice as you can get in there too.

I attach a copper syphon tube to the kettle end and syphon through the tubing/ice bucket into fermenter at the other end controlling the temp with the little tap at the fermenter end.(the slower the flow the lower the temp (i get about 12-14c most of the time in about 15mins of running). (the plastic hoses connect the cooler tubing to the syphon tube and the runoff tube with the tap on it.
make sure to syphon only cleared wort not the hot break/precipitated protiens in the bottom of kettle.
you should have about 24-25lts of wort to ferment if not top up with water to your desired batch size.
Pitch yeast and ferment as per style.

NOTES

I sanitise tubing with 80c water before using then when i'm ready to start syphon of hot liquid i just open the tap and away she flows.
At the end of the run off i put the syphon tube back into hot water to extract the last bit of wort out of the tubing.
As soon as i get water coming through i remove the run off end from fermenter and run hot water through tubing into another container.

Spent grains and hops make excellent compost for your garden as does the yeast sediment after fermentation.

I start out with 24.5 l of wort to give me a final vol of 23lts at bottling after racking etc.

Well i've probably left some small details out but i figure that if your going to try this then you probably have a fair bit of brewing experience so you should be able to figure out the rest (hydrometers etc).

Good brewing (one day i'll have a RIMS or HERMS system).

SiMo

Hi everyone.

Did my first 1/2 & 1/2 Brew on the weekend - extract and aprtial mash.
Tried out the new 5 gallon insulated Rubbermaid mash tun with Phills False Bottom.
Thought i would share my experiences/lessons learned.
Attempting to make An Old Saxon Bock as listed in the Recipee section of the Grumpys Web site.

Used:
2 kg Light LME
1 kg Amber LME
150 gms of Belgian Candi Sugar.
Mash
1 kg Pale 2 row
1 kg of Munich
200 gms Choc
300 gms Cara Wheta lll
200 gms Light Rye
at 66 degrees for 1 hour in 8 litres of water.
Sparged with 4 ltrs of water at approx 80 degrees.

Boiled wort and malt, candi sugar for 70 mins...
Aiming for 25 IBU's...no idea of what hop grams to IBU's is - therefore used following:
Tettnanger 25 gms...full boil.
Hellartau 25 gms last 15 mins of boil.

Made upto 23 ltrs...OG 1066 at 24 degrees.
Pitched 2308 Munich Lager yeast trub (one week old from Munich Heles racked to secondary that morning)

Lessons Learned:
Cant use in-line irrigation filters on mash tun outlet....Clog up within 15 secs.
Run the wort through a sieve.
Bolied only the 12 ltrs wort in my 30 ltr urn...reduced down to approx 8ltrs.
Got some light brown foam/scum mixed with hops on the surface of the boil...didn't know whether to skim or not.
Therefore, mixed it all back in.

Dont cut Phill's sparge arms to fit inside mash tuns with a Radial Arm Saw - can get caught in blade and wrecked.
Now need a new 8.5 inch phills sparge arm (only got to use the first one for testing) or need to make a copper anealed sparge spiral.

I now know why i used to stick to kits.

The wort tasted really nice....it was bubbling this morning and sitting at 9 degrees.
will rack next weekend.

Browaitingforthecommentstostart.

ken
did you make the belgian candy sugar yourself or buy it from somewhere as there has been a bit of correspondence on various sites about it of recent times

big d

I have made my own Belgian Candi sugar.

However, i used yellow rock sugar that is usually avaiable from chineese grocery stores.

I can tell you how to make your own if you want me to...
Let me know.

Post it, it may come in handy one day

Rook

therook said:
Post it, it may come in handy one day

Rook
Belgian Candi Sugar

Method for 100 gms of Begian Candi Sugar

Take 100gms of Castor Sugar
Squeeze in juice of 1/2 lemon - provides citric acid.
Pour in boiling water approx 75 ml. eg 75% of sugar weight.
When boiling might need to add more water.

Dissolve sugar. Place on stove on high and boil stiring occasionally.
As the temp increases and it boils the sugar starts to crystalise...approx 140 - 150 degrees Celcsius.

The sugar will darken.
Light = colour of Pee.
Med = Nice golden yellow brown/caramel colour. (The one I do Most of)
Dark = Blood Red...boil for ages.

Note, take off heat when reaches desired colour.
Pour into big/pot saucepan....add boiling water - will bubble and hiss so be carefull - this stops the sugar from going to hard crack.
This is essentially the same method they use to make the toffees at the school fates.

Latest posts

Back