How Long Should I Wait?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Girls,

I put a brew down last night in my newly modified fermenting fridge. I used K&K but also used a yeast starter I made from some left over trub a friend gave me (White Labs San Fran Lager Yeast)

The fridge has been set at 15 degrees and the wort was at 20 when I pitched.

After no activity for 14 hours, I took the lid off and pitched about 200ml more of the starter mix. There seems to be some activity now after 17 hours, so fingers crossed.

My question is somewhat retrospective in that I am wondering if there was any need to add the extra yeast. It's just that I read about how starters should get the wort bubbling within a few hours. Also, if the yeast doesn't take hold fast there is increased risk of infection.

This is the first time I have used starters & my new fridge. So I am also curious about what you people think about the impact this may have on the slow start to my brew. The cold conditions would contribute to slow yeast activity? Would it pay to have pitched the yeast at 22-25 degrees and waited for the airlock activity (12 hours) before putting it in the fridge? Or am I getting it all wrong, and there must've been not enough yeasties in the starter?

FYI: The starter was made with Light malt DME (70 grams) and 700ml of water. I waited about 28 hours for the starters to activate then I pitched 200ml initially and bottled the rest evenly into 5 stubbies.

Sorry about the long post - I really will appreciate all help. Many Thanks :party:

Was the wort aerated well ?
If it wa a true lager yeast it might have been slow to take off. I know the dried version's like W34/70 can take quite a while to happen.
I was under the impression that most people are pitching much larger starters as well, more like 500mL or more, but that is only what I've picked out of reading a bunch of posts.

Hi Guys & Girls,

I put a brew down last night in my newly modified fermenting fridge. I used K&K but also used a yeast starter I made from some left over trub a friend gave me (White Labs San Fran Lager Yeast)

The fridge has been set at 15 degrees and the wort was at 20 when I pitched.

After no activity for 14 hours, I took the lid off and pitched about 200ml more of the starter mix. There seems to be some activity now after 17 hours, so fingers crossed.

My question is somewhat retrospective in that I am wondering if there was any need to add the extra yeast. It's just that I read about how starters should get the wort bubbling within a few hours. Also, if the yeast doesn't take hold fast there is increased risk of infection.

This is the first time I have used starters & my new fridge. So I am also curious about what you people think about the impact this may have on the slow start to my brew. The cold conditions would contribute to slow yeast activity? Would it pay to have pitched the yeast at 22-25 degrees and waited for the airlock activity (12 hours) before putting it in the fridge? Or am I getting it all wrong, and there must've been not enough yeasties in the starter?

FYI: The starter was made with Light malt DME (70 grams) and 700ml of water. I waited about 28 hours for the starters to activate then I pitched 200ml initially and bottled the rest evenly into 5 stubbies.

Sorry about the long post - I really will appreciate all help. Many Thanks :party:

Hando

There was probably no reason to pitch a second time. I brew lagers around 10 to 12 degrees and they generally take up to 48 hours before there is much action. Also it might be worth noting that just because it ain't bubbling doesn't mean that there is nothing happening. I've had lagers never blow a bubble but within 3 weeks are fully fermented. Look for the trub around the top of the wert line after a week or so.If its there then everything is rosie.

Cheers

Redgums :super:

Was the wort aerated well ?
If it wa a true lager yeast it might have been slow to take off. I know the dried version's like W34/70 can take quite a while to happen.
I was under the impression that most people are pitching much larger starters as well, more like 500mL or more, but that is only what I've picked out of reading a bunch of posts.

It was well aerated. I am thinking that the starter was on the small side.

Beware - the bubbler lies.......Some plastic fermenter lids, like mine, don't seal perfectly and if I put more than the minimum amout of water in the bubbler than the gas escapes between the lid and the fermenter and not a bubble will burble, not a single "bloble-blup" will be heard, but the fermentation happens just the same.
Look for a scum ring around the top of the fermenter and test the gravity if unsure.

It was well aerated. I am thinking that the starter was on the small side.

Hi hando,

Don't stress about the slow start.
Having aerated well, you're supplying the yeast with plenty of oxygen to assist with its respiration phase. This is basically the yeast consuming sugars, nutrients and oxygen in order to multiply, producing very little CO2 in the process. This is why it's always recommended to aerate your wort well at the start, to help the yeast population build up to a level that will do a good job at fermenting your brew. Definitely a good idea to employ yeast starters with liquid yeasts, particularly for lagers, as they benefit from a large yeast population from the start.

I'd also suggest pitching into wort at the LOW end of the temperature range (ie. 15 deg) and let it rise to the level you want to ferment out at. Yes this does imply a slow start, but it does make for better beer, IMO.

On my last lager I used Wyeast California Lager as well, and pitched a 2 litre starter at about 14 deg.
It took at least 24 hours before there was any air-lock activity, and about 10 days to ferment out completely.

Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back