Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoohaaman

Reaction score
If there was a beer made with a particular yeast and only Southern Cross,I would prefer to give up drinking.

Sorry,I just can't stand SC.

i have to know,wich particular yeast?

Never tried it and endless others no doubt. Must say gone off Amarillo and have cravings for beer with Simcoe.

no such thing as a bad hop, only bad brewers - GLS 2009

lol

Cant say ive ever tried a beer hopped with Southern Cross. Any commercial examples? If not, then I guess you've only got yourself to blame for brewing disgusting beer.....

lol

Agreed, had a stout at a mates place tonight it had amarillo in it, thought i was going off it but his beer has given me some ideas!!

I dont like chinook yet I havnt really used it since so Id prob blame me more then the hop I will give it ago again, well will have to as I planted one :p should of tried it first but id say i have used it wrong I didnt get nothing of what is explained the hop gives.

I used it in an IPA as a bittering hop last year and everyone liked it don't know what flavor and aroma of this hop is like

lol

Yep,I'm a bad brewer,but still hate southern cross and while I'm on a roll ,I hate nottingham as a yeast also.

I know GLS is such a superb brewer he could turn sow's ears into silk purses.

I dont like chinook yet I havnt really used it since so Id prob blame me more then the hop I will give it ago again, well will have to as I planted one :p should of tried it first but id say i have used it wrong I didnt get nothing of what is explained the hop gives.

I dry hopped a NorthWest pale fresh wort kit with chinook, as thats what I used in Boonies LCPA and it was good. The result in the NorthWest was :icon_vomit: , should have grabbed a handful of grass from the mower catcher.

Oh well, at least it grows fast :lol:

I brewed 4 beers with 96% bb ale & 4% med crystal, the southern cross was my favourite. The others were columbus, galaxy & citra.

I'll use southern cross again.

If there was a beer made with a particular yeast and only Southern Cross,I would prefer to give up drinking.

Sorry,I just can't stand SC.
second this one will never use it again except for bittering.
on the upside the boys at work liked it as it was like a corrona with lemon

i'm a southern cross hater too... bought it as a generic high alpha bittering hop, it carries waaaaaay too much lemon flavour through even on a 60 min boil - would be great in those light summer lagers i guess, but not my bag at all.

I've never had success with Ahtanum. Even tried a commercial single hop Ahtanum beer (yay Second Street Brewery in Santa Fe), nope, no likey.

Yep,I'm a bad brewer,but still hate southern cross and while I'm on a roll ,I hate nottingham as a yeast also.

I know GLS is such a superb brewer he could turn sow's ears into silk purses.

Funny thing is he is finalising another import from China. :rolleyes:

QldKev

Never tried it and endless others no doubt. Must say gone off Amarillo and have cravings for beer with Simcoe.

I reckon Amarillo is the best of the lot. Haven't tried Simcoe yet but Centennial and Cascade are certainly up there as well. :beerbang:

Southern Cross is one of my favorites. I like the piney-citrus flavour in PAs and as a 60 minute only addition in a megaswill type lager.

On saying that - I think all hops have their place, and you can please all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time but never all the people all of the time.

Latest posts

Back