Hops In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
Wow and only 32.95 US (little more than a whole keg) :(
[post="90473"][/post]​

Sorry to offend you Darren, but I was suggesting that it could be done...not purchased...

Anyone with a TIG should be able to plug a tab like that on in under two seconds...make it yourself and they'd almost do the welding job for free! :chug:

PZ.

Peace,
Dude, chill. Thought you were suggesting to buy one! If one was to go down the path of making such a lid then you would be STUPID not to seal the welds around the tab. A small hook with fully sealed weld would be more sanitary. Would be a ******* to sanitise as pictured.
peace again
d

Darren,

I'm thinking of making one myself.

I too have considered possible sanitation woes and figured an easily disassembled style of fitting would be better...something along the lines of a tab bolted to the lid via means of a drilled hole through the lid itself using a staino bolt/nut and o-rings to keep it all together...easy to take completely apart and clean too :D

PZ.

Darren said:
Hands up all the experienced brewers who have used this method successfully!
[post="90263"][/post]​

OK - i dont add hops into the keg - as i feel that they will Clog.
U could make a hop back and pour the beer thru it on the way to the tap.
Jayse did this at his place using flowers - makes a hell of a difference.

I add hops into the secondary.
I do Wet & Dry Hopping.
I use pellets and put the hops into a SS Mug and fill with boiling water.
Initially you get grassy smell - then u get the aroma.
Stir and leave for 3 mins - then add to secondary.

I use pellets and run thru the GMK In-line Filter into the keg/bottling bucket.

Hope this helps.

A hopback is definitely on my wish list. I haven't done anything about it as yet because I figured you must have a CFWC and pump to get one to work properly. But I guess as long as it was planned thoroughly, you could probably get something to work in a gravity based setup - transfer the hot wort from kettle into another bucket, through some kind of hopback arrangement, and then chill the wort in that bucket with the immersion chiller as per normal. Sounds like a lot of effort, but from what I gather from the reports, a hopback makes enough difference to make it worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back