Hops In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TD, try it yourself. Put some hops in some hot water and try it.

i rather add hops at flame out instead of dry hopping

Jazman,

That's what I have been doing up until now. So many times I have planned to dry hop - had it in the recipe for ages as such, and then literally on the brew day every time I have chickened out and just thrown them all in at flameout! I have not been disappointed with the results by any means - plenty of aroma - but it just doesn't feel right for an IPA! Of course, a hop tea doesn't exactly feel right either, but its closer to the mark I guess.

No doubt I will, once again, end up throwing all the aroma hops in at flameout. Better safe than sorry I guess. I have only ever done one genuine IPA before and it didn't exactly turn out how I planned, so I don't want to screw another one up!

Darren, do you mean "try it" as in "do a brew with it" or just whip up a hop tea and see how it smells/tastes without actually using it in a brew?

Thanks guys. :beer:

Gave this keg a taste and it is quite different (in a good way)

I added 1 halleratu hop plug to 1/2 a keg.

Would 2 be even better or would I be pushing it?

Or will the flavour continue to develop in the next few weeks?

Thanks

T.D. said:
Jazman,

That's what I have been doing up until now. So many times I have planned to dry hop - had it in the recipe for ages as such, and then literally on the brew day every time I have chickened out and just thrown them all in at flameout! I have not been disappointed with the results by any means - plenty of aroma - but it just doesn't feel right for an IPA! Of course, a hop tea doesn't exactly feel right either, but its closer to the mark I guess.

No doubt I will, once again, end up throwing all the aroma hops in at flameout. Better safe than sorry I guess. I have only ever done one genuine IPA before and it didn't exactly turn out how I planned, so I don't want to screw another one up!

Darren, do you mean "try it" as in "do a brew with it" or just whip up a hop tea and see how it smells/tastes without actually using it in a brew?

Thanks guys. :beer:
[post="90282"][/post]​

TD, try proper dry hopping in secondary - a lot of the aroma is lost in the primary - I know you love your hops, so go for it. I just dry hopped my latest APA today into the secondary with 4 x 10gms each of Amarillo, Simcoe, horizon & Palisade...

Cheers Ross

Yep, Dry hopping is the go. Make sure you contain the hops in a bag or similar or they could block a transfer.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Yep, Dry hopping is the go. Make sure you contain the hops in a bag or similar or they could block a transfer.
cheers
Darren
[post="90415"][/post]​

I prefer mine loose (but each to their own) - once you CC all the hops settle at the bottom & very easy to transfer without blockage...

Ross said:
Darren said:
Hands up all the experienced brewers who have used this method successfully!
[post="90263"][/post]​

Try the search feature Darren - happy reading :)
[post="90270"][/post]​

Hi Ross,
Not too many people put their hands up. I am sure there are some though who swear by this method. I say these people either have never tasted hop flavour or have no taste at all!
I recommend that everyone try it for themselves. If it works for you go for it. My experience was it extracted everything from the hops that you don't want in a beer.

Darren said:
Ross said:
Darren said:
[post="90263"][/post]​

[post="90270"][/post]​

Hi Ross,
Not too many people put their hands up. I am sure there are some though who swear by this method. I say these people either have never tasted hop flavour or have no taste at all!
I recommend that everyone try it for themselves. If it works for you go for it. My experience was it extracted everything from the hops that you don't want in a beer.
[post="90419"][/post]​

Mate - probably because they couldn't be arsed getting into an argument with you - Just accept that it works for many. I for one have tasted hop flavour (probably far more experienced than you on this one) & I certainly have taste...
Time you put some energy into positive posts, hey? - Like a stuck record, you're beginning to grind :)

Edit: Sorry Sluggerdog, not trying to detract from your questions - rant over :)

Ross said:
Darren said:
Ross said:
Darren said:
[post="90263"][/post]​

[post="90270"][/post]​

Hi Ross,
[post="90419"][/post]​

Mate - probably because they couldn't be arsed getting into an argument with you - Just accept that it works for many. I for one have tasted hop flavour (probably far more experienced than you on this one) & I certainly have taste...
Time you put some energy into positive posts, hey? - Like a stuck record, you're beginning to grind :)

Edit: Sorry Sluggerdog, not trying to detract from your questions - rant over :)
[post="90421"][/post]​

Maaaate,
Only reason it is beginning to grind is because you realise that 90% of your posts are regurgited diatribe and I am picking it up. You seem to have a "larger than life" internet persona which is supplying alot of misinformation to newbies. I read most of the posts on this board and usually post constructive criticism. Sure there is a negative aspect to some of the posts but like i have said before, brewing is not all positive. I find a lot of the stuff you post is just plain crap. Not sure where your "far more experienced" came from either. In ten years time you might be able to use that "claim to fame"

Slugger, put some hops in water and see if you like it. No alpha acid, lots of vegetal flavour and aroma is what I get.
Didn't put in my beer five or more years ago.
I say Ross is a nice guy, knows his metals but take his brewing tips with a pinch of salt.
cheers :eek:

this is getting old,how about posting answers without the little digs
schools out

Ross said:
TD, try proper dry hopping in secondary - a lot of the aroma is lost in the primary - I know you love your hops, so go for it. I just dry hopped my latest APA today into the secondary with 4 x 10gms each of Amarillo, Simcoe, horizon & Palisade...

Cheers Ross
[post="90413"][/post]​

Yeah, I would only ever dry hop in secondary. So obviously (unless somehow you have sourced hop flowers for all of these varieties) you are not all that concerned about grassy flavours when dry hopping with pellets. I am starting to wonder if this is a bit of a myth! I have never dry hopped with pellets before (paranoid) but the general concensus is that most varieties seem to be ok. Mate, I know you are a bit of a Challenger fan - have you ever tried dry hopping with Challenger pellets?

Are there any hop varieties that are particularly prone to grassy flavours?

Darren said:
cheers
Darren
[post="90415"][/post]​

The jury is still out for me on the whole bag versus no bag issue. I used to strain my wort with a nylon grain bag when transfering from the kettle into the fermenter and probably got slightly clearer beer as a result, but it was such a pain as the bag would get clogged up and I would end up risking infection by squeezing the wort through with my bare hands. I have since decided to simply run the wort through a fine sieve (which gets the big bits out and not much else) and just rack as usual. There would be quite a lot of hop material in primary (which is clear - excuse the pun - from the first sample I take from the tap!) but funnily enough, when I rack to secondary I get none of the hops - they have all settles into the trub. Works great from my point of view. Having said that though, I would definitely give a hop bag a decent amount of thought if dry hopping with pellets. I also rarely CC my beer...

T.D. said:
Ross said:

Cheers Ross
[post="90413"][/post]​

Yeah, I would only ever dry hop in secondary. So obviously (unless somehow you have sourced hop flowers for all of these varieties) you are not all that concerned about grassy flavours when dry hopping with pellets. I am starting to wonder if this is a bit of a myth! I have never dry hopped with pellets before (paranoid) but the general concensus is that most varieties seem to be ok. Mate, I know you are a bit of a Challenger fan - have you ever tried dry hopping with Challenger pellets?

[post="90455"][/post]​

TD,

I have no problem dry hopping with pellets - do it all the time, as long as they're fresh - stale hops are a killer... The exception is Saaz, somehow pellets seem to give a real grassy taste - not right at all in a lager...
but ales - especially APA's go for it.
Haven't dry hopped with Challenger, as I'm normally going for the spicey flavour it gives, rather than an aroma profile...

sluggerdog said:
T.D. said:
[post="90455"][/post]​

SAAZ
[post="90458"][/post]​

Beaudy - thanks Slugger - I'll remember that. :)

And sorry about sort of hyjacking your post mate :ph34r: ! Its good to hear that hallertau plug has had some benefit. I can only imagine the flavours you are currently seeing will become more intense as you leave it longer (to a point obviously). For half a keg I reckon one plug would be fine. If it was a full keg I would be pretty happy to throw in 2.

OK, I probably should have been more clear. NEVER put whole hops, plugs, pellet in a keg.
It WILL clog and there is no way to get the beer out apart from pouring. Then you will need to pull it apart and clean it.
cheers
Darren

Ross said:
T.D. said:
Ross said:

Cheers Ross
[post="90413"][/post]​

[post="90455"][/post]​

TD,

I have no problem dry hopping with pellets - do it all the time, as long as they're fresh - stale hops are a killer... The exception is Saaz, somehow pellets seem to give a real grassy taste - not right at all in a lager...
but ales - especially APA's go for it.
Haven't dry hopped with Challenger, as I'm normally going for the spicey flavour it gives, rather than an aroma profile...
[post="90462"][/post]​

Thanks Ross. You may have seen from my other post that I have all my aroma hops (all challenger at this point) as flameout additions. I may try dry hopping half of these maybe...

Darren said:
OK, I probably should have been more clear. NEVER put whole hops, plugs, pellet in a keg.
It WILL clog and there is no way to get the beer out apart from pouring. Then you will need to pull it apart and clean it.
cheers
Darren
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18214

2552.jpg

;)

PZ.

Back