• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hops Bulk Buy: Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you hold some sort of Black Belt in Shitfighting, provoking people on here isn`t a real good idea really :lol:

stagga.

I am a shit fighting grand master from the far east! :lol:

Steve,

Why? I Like to buy my hops in the original pack with certifable date and AA%. I hate it when I pay full price (fuller) for the dregs of some retailers old stock.

Additionally, once time, effort (including failures) are added together with exhorbidant retailer prices are added to the equation, buying good beer becomes more attractive (similar price, product guaranteed, less effort).

I reckon this marketeering of base ingredients by retailers is only going to DECREASE interest in making all-grain beer.

cheers

Darren

I dont know Darren. I saw 2 5kg blocks of 2008 Nothern Brewer land at Marks shop a couple of weeks ago, and within 2 hours they were bagged up into 100g foil bags with labels and a/a % on them for sale for $8 a pop. I know my local has fresh stuff.

Steve

Steve,

Why? I Like to buy my hops in the original pack with certifable date and AA%. I hate it when I pay full price (fuller) for the dregs of some retailers old stock.

Additionally, once time, effort (including failures) are added together with exhorbidant retailer prices are added to the equation, buying good beer becomes more attractive (similar price, product guaranteed, less effort).

I reckon this marketeering of base ingredients by retailers is only going to DECREASE interest in making all-grain beer.

cheers

Darren

Looking at the amount of guys that have been getting into AG in the past two years, I'd say you are way off the mark there Darren. It is easier to get virtually any grain you can think of now, delivered to your door, just by getting on the net. You can even have it already cracked and mixed, how much easier does that make it for the novice.

cheers

Browndog

I don't think you'll get anyone to say it, even AHB members don't want to get sued for libel.
it isnt liable if its true.

spending 20 or 30c more per kg to support your local.
SJW - as I said, I wasnt aware of the price differances. I had assumed it was more than 20-30c differance. If thats all the savings then I probably wouldnt participate in a bb either. if it was $$ then yes i would

I must be different to you in as much as I dont feel comfortable in doing a bulk buy or being in one then turning up at Marks to get him to fit an element into a keg for me or weld a socket in or even spend an hour or so talking about brewing and not even spending any money.
I never said i did that. and If i used my local like that (even though it noot really local) then yes of course i'd be buying stuff them.

And grain is not a few cents...so dont bang on about grain prices.
I said i didnt know what diff there wqas in bb grain prices. again if its a few cents then its not worth the hassle. settle.

Just dont go crying on this web site if your local HBS goes down the shitter.
Trust me i wont cry if brewcraft goes down the shitter. oh hang on!!

Are we really talking about 5kg of hops? Im sorry I wouldnt call that a bb. I did a stocktake of my yeast and hops on the weekend and ive got 1.25kg of hops myself. I recon 20kg is a bb for hops. but what would i know.
I didnt realise Hopco was a wholesaler. Im supriosed they even contemplated the idea of dealing with the 'public'. I only say that as most wholesalers doint deal with the public for a number of reasons. I was more making comment in relation to a bb of hops off a retailer. and no retailer should be pressured into undertaking any bb or sale that they will money on. thats just silly.

ok enough from me on this.

All of this chatter still doesn't explain why the wholesaler will sell hops to anyone except AHB members.

Whether they do or don't sell direct to the public is totally their call, but to single out a group like that would seem to indicate collusion between the wholesaler and some other interested party involved in this site.
That's what is disturbing.

Andrew

Rather than a grand consistory theory, if you combine what the OP said:
The man said, "I saw you had a posting on Aussiehomebrewer so I decided not to supply you"
with what Ross said:
"NO retailer had leaned on them or complained"

I'd suggest that Hopco thought they were supplying a (small) business who would use the hops themselves, quite possibly they assumed that that new customer would be placing repeat orders in the future and that 5kg was just an initial sample. However, when they noticed the potential-buyer on-selling them here on the forums, they realised that the hops were not for their own use and most likely there would be no repeat buisness, so they decided it was simply not worth their effort or within their business plan to sell to individuals who then on-sell to others via forums.

The man said, "I saw you had a posting on Aussiehomebrewer so I decided not to supply you"
with what Ross said:

I'd suggest that Hopco thought they were supplying a (small) business who would use the hops themselves, quite possibly they assumed that that new customer would be placing repeat orders in the future and that 5kg was just an initial sample. However, when they noticed the potential-buyer on-selling them here on the forums, they realised that the hops were not for their own use and most likely there would be no repeat buisness, so they decided it was simply not worth their effort or within their business plan to sell to individuals who then on-sell to others via forums.

now that makes a lot of sense

with what Ross said:

I would have to agree with you IF that was all the Hopco employee said .. however the OP also commented
"that he gets grief from his retailers if he supplies people in bulk thru this website."

Sounds all too fishy to me.

I would have to agree with you IF that was all the Hopco employee said .. however the OP also commented
"that he gets grief from his retailers if he supplies people in bulk thru this website."

That could just mean it's happened in the past...

(cue dramatic music) The plot thickens!

Well, I don't think we are ever going to get to the bottom of this...so I have given up - might go and brew and drink some beer now.

I dont know Darren. I saw 2 5kg blocks of 2008 Nothern Brewer land at Marks shop a couple of weeks ago, and within 2 hours they were bagged up into 100g foil bags with labels and a/a % on them for sale for $8 a pop. I know my local has fresh stuff.

Steve

Yep, picked up one of these as well. Can't wait to crack that pack and ingest those tasty aromas. Said they were harvested in Sept I think, can't quite remember, but it was definately late '08. Nice n fresh!

QUOTE (SJW @ Feb 21 2009, 04:58 PM)

Steve

Yep, picked up one of these as well. Can't wait to crack that pack and ingest those tasty aromas. Said they were harvested in Sept I think, can't quite remember, but it was definately late '08. Nice n fresh!

Great stuff. I had heaps of NB at home but could not let this offer go past. NB is a great bittering hop and I have used it many times as the only hop, 60min addition. If there was only a couple of hop I had to choose I would have Norther Brewer, EKG and maybe Amarillo. Thats 3.

Steve

Well, I don't think we are ever going to get to the bottom of this...so I have given up - might go and brew and drink some beer now.

Yeah, not gonna lose sleep over it myself either - just curious what is going on, and why there is a particular sanction against AHB.
I don't think I'd get involved in a hop BB anyway - Craftbrewer and G&G have us pretty spoilt for choice, and I'm certainly not brewing in the quantities to justify kg's of single-variety hops (though I might make an exception for Galaxy hops :beerbang: ).

Why would there be a sanction against AHB? Their company profile (on their website) states they provide trade to microbreweries and homebrew stores. The company representative saw the post on AHB and discovered the prospective buyer was not one of these and retracted the sale.

I'm sure they love AHB; we as a community advocate using different varieties of hops and we have banners advertising retailers who sell their products.

Why would there be a sanction against AHB? Their company profile (on their website) states they provide trade to microbreweries and homebrew stores. The company representative saw the post on AHB and discovered the prospective buyer was not one of these and retracted the sale.

So what was the company doing in the first place taking an order from Peter Speck, who I would guess is neither a microbrewery or a homebrew store?
The company was clearly happy to entertain a sale to "Joe public", but then got light of a post on AHB, and got all shifty. Surely Hopco would know who their brewery and LHB store customers are, or at least ask this up front before proceeding on to a sale to any new customer.

You can believe what you want to believe - to me it's a little sus.

Adam,

That would be true EXCEPT ubtil one of the nice guys on the north coast (who has been previously accredited with selling and bagging hops as soon as they come in :eek: ) has stopped the buys to public.

Browndog,
HB (kandk) has also increased. BTW, grains were half the price before AHB and guess what? All the same malts were available. Only thing that has changed is you now pay more than DOUBLE for them.

cheers

Darren

Adam,

That would be true EXCEPT ubtil one of the nice guys on the north coast (who has been previously accredited with selling and bagging hops as soon as they come in :eek: ) has stopped the buys to public.

Browndog,
HB (kandk) has also increased. BTW, grains were half the price before AHB and guess what? All the same malts were available. Only thing that has changed is you now pay more than DOUBLE for them.

cheers

Darren

McDonalds was also half price, so was smokes and petrol was also cheaper before AHB....whoever has increased all those prices - well, they better hope we don't find out!

BTW, grains were half the price before AHB and guess what? All the same malts were available. Only thing that has changed is you now pay more than DOUBLE for them.

cheers

Darren

LOL Darren - I'm glad you can't delete/edit your old posts - Time to set the record straight once & for all
This was your very 1st post on AHB, flogging bulk grain, what a surprise - $45 a bag for BB base malt. The retail bulk price delivered Adelaide today is approx $50 (gst inc).
Allowing for the price rises over the last 5 years, it would appear you used to do quite well out of your so called "Bulk Buys" :p . No wonder you are now a little bitter.

Posted on: May 11 2004, 11:38 AM

Howdy guys,
Just a quick message to let you I have a bunch of malts. These are fresh malts and are being offered at a price barely enough to cover my freight costs.
The malts available are:

Barrett Burstons
pale malt $45/25kg
pale (galaxy) $45/25kg
pale ale $45/25kg

If anyone is interested just fire me off an EMAIL

BTW I am in Adelaide.

cheers
Darren

Our members have made a total of 417424 posts & most of them ended up as Darren vs Ross
We have 9176 registered members, many have left because of the rantings of just a few.
The newest member is Flock1
Most users ever online was 137 on Sep 24 2007, 11:53 AM

Gerard

Back