• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hops Bulk Buy: Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not responded so far to this thread, as I really haven't had that much to add, but reckon it's time to add my 2c...

CraftBrewer started due to the exact reason above, when i was blocked from doing a bulk buy of hops due to not being a retailer. Since then I have invested a huge amount of time & money into bringing fresh hops, grains etc to homebrewers, but I have never lost site of the reason I started & would NEVER block a bulk buy of hops, despite the inuendo of some.
I spoke to Hopco late this afternoon after seeing this thread to find out what had happened & they confirmed that NO retailer had leaned on them or complained, & the decision was purely theirs based on past history & where their business is now focused, wholesale. 5kg of hops as not a wholesale amount, far from it.
As for Ellerslie hops, I'm not aware of any Retailers (or wholesalers for that matter) that buy off them, so couldn't tell you if their price hike was supply or retailer influenced.

Guys like Batz often bring in direrct from overseas & good luck to him & others - My business certainly isn't threatened by a few bulk buys. I like the opportunity to quote on a supply when offered, but if I can't compete, I don't get the business, simple.

On a personal note - I still can't get goods from the 2 main distributors in the Country of HB supplies - They wouldn't supply me when I was just an online store & still won't even though I now have a shop front & employ 4 staff. This is a serious threat to the future success of my business & is one of the reasons that restrictive practises is something close to my heart & I continue to battle.

cheers Ross

Did he say what being on AHB had to do with it?

On a personal note - I still can't get goods from the 2 main distributors in the Country of HB supplies - They wouldn't supply me when I was just an online store & still won't even though I now have a shop front & employ 4 staff. This is a serious threat to the future success of my business & is one of the reasons that restrictive practises is something close to my heart & I continue to battle.

cheers Ross
Sorry to hear that Ross. In short time Ive had dealings with you I have been greatly impressed with your service and your willingness to offer free advice (I think about 3 times this week already!).

What can we do?

Cheers,
Jake

Sorry to hear that Ross. In short time Ive had dealings with you I have been greatly impressed with your service and your willingness to offer free advice (I think about 3 times this week already!).

What can we do?

Cheers,
Jake

nothing mate, for the moment, but thanks for the offer - i was just tring to put a bit of perspective on the matter....

cheers ross

So is it wrong to buy something and go home and cook it?

No, that's the Aussie way of doing things.. No culture :blink:

Save a few bucks?

Sure, use those few bucks and go out to Dinner ;) ..

Not everyone here can go to Restaurants for a meal

Thats a shame, people just need to work a bit harder and get their finances sorted, or is it a time thing??

Bugger you started me again !!!

I hate getting started when it comes to my profession/business.. <_<

I have to say that I am surprised that any hop farm would entertain the idea selling in such small quantities that we consider "bulk buy"
Have a look at the bails they sell to the breweries in this vid =>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I am surprised that any hop farm would entertain the idea selling in such small quantities that we consider "bulk buy"

Yes, it surprised me over on the Ellerslie thread with guys claiming there is a big market for POR flowers off AHB, if Ellerslie were to change their production process for them. What do you reckon - 15 maybe 20kg max & that's assuming they don't continue to buy the fresh flowers off their regular suppliers once the new season crop arrives.

cheers Ross

Very interesting video, no wonder they cost a bit, dried to about 9% moisture, alot of loss... And 200 pound bails? BULK BUY.. :lol:

the funny thing about hopco not selling to anyone on ahb is that i have personly brought hops off rt charger (aka sandy ross director of hopco) on ebay as recently as december

and as for Ellerslie hops there just a bottom feeder seller off ebay who change there prices as regualy as unleaded petrol

cheers Ross
That's crazy, keep fighting the good fight mate, you seem to be well stocked on quality produce anyway so im not sure whats missing? cans of goo?

cheers Ross
Really? that's farked, any particular reason? i wouldn't have thought you'd be the sort of business a supplier would turn down...

Man that is my wet dream right there. makes you feel kinda small and insignificant, doesn't it?

well - if it is because the 5kg purchase of hops is from AHB that is the problem...blind freddy can see who the culprit is...

Well I must be blind. Then again I usually am and still cant think of who you are talking about....could you enlighten us?

Good on Hopco I say. Evertime theres a bulk buy, thats another kick in the balls for some retailer. Why not just pay the couple of cent's extra per kg and support your local HBS.

Steve

Steve,

Why? I Like to buy my hops in the original pack with certifable date and AA%. I hate it when I pay full price (fuller) for the dregs of some retailers old stock.

Additionally, once time, effort (including failures) are added together with exhorbidant retailer prices are added to the equation, buying good beer becomes more attractive (similar price, product guaranteed, less effort).

I reckon this marketeering of base ingredients by retailers is only going to DECREASE interest in making all-grain beer.

cheers

Darren

I reckon this marketeering of base ingredients by retailers is only going to DECREASE interest in making all-grain beer.

cheers

Darren

For me its a hobby. Ordinary beer per carton = $4 - $5 per litre and over the bar around $12ltr. Imported beer maybe double that. For me to make, around a $ a litre.

The upside, I enjoy my hobby. If it cost me $2ltr I would still make it. Mind you if it got to that price I am sure one would find the cost of megaswill would have also increased.

Another hobby is to try and sneak around behind retailers for the best deals. Like I said in a previous post, if you find somewhere to do a bulk buy don't splurt it out on the forum. Tip toe quietly.

Retailing is a livlelihood and a bussiness for which I can understand. But what I have found the variations in price / mark up. Managed to score a bit of 08 Galaxy for $10 per 100gms (thought it was exspensive) another retailer wanted $15 per 100gms.

When Ross was hocking off his Wyeast for nix were you complaining then? Oh shit thats right you don't buy off retailers ;)

BYB

What can we do?

Cheers,
Jake

I reckon Craftbrewer is unmatched when you look at the combination of convenience, quality and variety of product and excellent customer service.

What can we do? Continue to support your favourite HBS (whatever it is). Especially if he is willing to quote on a bulk buy.

Well I must be blind. Then again I usually am and still cant think of who you are talking about....could you enlighten us?

wouldn't have a clue - was just trying to provoke someone else into saying...

havent' been here long enough to know

QUOTE (Phillip @ Feb 20 2009, 06:19 PM)
well - if it is because the 5kg purchase of hops is from AHB that is the problem...blind freddy can see who the culprit is...

If it is so obvious, please go ahead and say it

I don't think you'll get anyone to say it, even AHB members don't want to get sued for libel.

Then again, I have no idea why some on here seem to have a set against retailers.
The two I use, MHB and CraftBrewer, I've had nothing but the best of service and advice, best quality goods, and all at prices I consider reasonable.

... and all at prices I consider reasonable.

You should be aiming for just less than reasonable to keep them hungry and more inclined to try that little bit harder, but not so much that they feel it is no longer worth it... ;) :D

wouldn't have a clue - was just trying to provoke someone else into saying...

havent' been here long enough to know

Unless you hold some sort of Black Belt in Shitfighting, provoking people on here isn`t a real good idea really :lol:

stagga.

Back