Hop Tannins - Post Chill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded and Bitter

Reaction score
Been wondering bout this for a while.

I usually chill on the hops - 2 BigW 19L Pots in Laundry tub full of water.

I was just tipping the whole lot hops n all into the fermenter, then started screening through a hop bag.

The chilled wort may sit on the hops a couple of days before I get around to pitching. This time I did an IPA and squeezed the extra wort outa the hops in the hop bag. It was greenish and smelled really hoppy.

Anything wrong with what I'm doing??

Is wort sitting on hops a bad thing??

Ideally once your wort is at pitching temp you actually add the yeast.

Having chilled wort sit on hops for a couple of days, regardless of how good you believe your sanitation technique to be strikes me as an unnecessary risk to say the least.

Throw into that if you're manually squeezing a hop bag, after a couple of days sitting in the wort you are asking for trouble.

At the core of it you want your 'desired' yeast to out compete all competitors, the best way to do this is pitching a healthy amount as soon as your wort is at pitching temp.

The exception to this is if you no chill, and your wort has gone from ~85c to pitching temp in a sealed vessel, ergo eliminating the possibility of other yeast strains (airborne or whatnot) beginning to ferment your wort before your preferred yeast.

Thanks guys,

Yep sanitation, yeast pitching rates and all the very basics are fine - without going into detail.

My questions about leaving chilled wort on hops for up to 48hrs and the possibility of unwanted hop taninns.

I dont think its as issue but get an inkling I may have read something somewhere many, many years ago

EDIT:
Update - did a search on hop astringency, is a problem in IPA, mainly from wort pH apparently. Dont think its a problem this time though.

Will think about changing procedure

Think hard on it mate, many things can survive a boil and start to build up to nasty levels in a few days, if you chill, pitch. Perhaps no chill would suit your process better, no chill and Aargon method if you want.

By way of answer to the hops question, I regularly cube hop and no chill, can sit on those hops for months, without issue.

Yob said:
Think hard on it mate, many things can survive a boil and start to build up to nasty levels in a few days, if you chill, pitch. Perhaps no chill would suit your process better, no chill and Aargon method if you want.

By way of answer to the hops question, I regularly cube hop and no chill, can sit on those hops for months, without issue.
No Chill? kinda, I do hygeinically seal the pots before chillin. Any anaerobic bacteria surviving in the wort after a 90 minute boil with a maximum of 48 hours (stuff happens) before pitching would destroy no chill left for months, and plastic cubes are extremely porous, roll on potential for acetobactor and oxidation.

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate your response and willingness to give quite sound advice, and BIAB and No Chill are great methods allowing people to get into AG more easily and cheaper and produce beers much better than K&K, extract, partials etc, but there are better practices.

Im Jaded by posts where too many corners have been cut resulting in a ruined batch of beer (I take the lid of my fermenter twice a day to take photos and now theres something weird growing on top... See my photos...), but I dont get Bitter (well maybe a little).

Latest posts

Back