Hop shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevandjo

Reaction score
I've just been told by my LHBS that he has just returned from the states and now has "hop shots" which (quote) 'This is a syringe of hop oils that can be used for bittering. I haven't tried them yet myself but they are now starting to be used in homebrewing just like the pros are doing.'

Anyone have experience with them?

Still an oil then? Just extracted differently?

The main factor that I've not gone for it, even on a personal level is it would kind of take the fun out of hop additions yeah?

Kind of clinical to add 3ml of a syringe rather than some sticky stinky hops :)

I imagine it'd help with losses on a massive beer too so it does have its place, just not in my brewery... Yet...

Ellerslie also sell extracts, however not as individual doses. Perhaps there needs to be a group buy, or if a retailer is reading this -- they can potentially look at adding this to their range?

Has anyone tried extracting their own oils using co2? I vaguely recall, from my misspent youth, people extracting resins from similar plant matter using a sealed tube with small orifices either end. Hmmm, might have to look into this.

Yob said:
The main factor that I've not gone for it, even on a personal level is it would kind of take the fun out of hop additions yeah?

Kind of clinical to add 3ml of a syringe rather than some sticky stinky hops :)

I imagine it'd help with losses on a massive beer too so it does have its place, just not in my brewery... Yet....
but when you want to brew up Pliny The Younger, you have to use shots. Not that I ever plan on doing that one...

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/pliny-the-younger/

and check out Kal's description of brewing this one up. sounds like an oily mess to clean up!
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26749

Yep used to do 'similar plants' thru poly pipe with holes in the end and pump lpg thru them for resin extract. Might have to try it with hops!!

Camo6 said:
Has anyone tried extracting their own oils using co2? I vaguely recall, from my misspent youth, people extracting resins from similar plant matter using a sealed tube with small orifices either end. Hmmm, might have to look into this.
Hop extracts are made using super critical co2. Not a simple method.

So would these be sub cutaneous, intravenous, or intramuscular?

Spiesy said:
$4.50USD per 10 IBU (based on a 60min addition) seems pretty expensive.

Once freighted into Australia, currency converted and some profit added to the retailer, you'd have to wonder why bother.
It says on the page that "One milliliter yields around 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes."
So you'd be getting 100IBU for USD4.50.

Mind you it also says each syringe holds 3mL, so do you get 3 full syringes and one with one millilitre in it to get your 10mil?

Anyone know if these are able to be sourced here at all? I'm brewing up a Pliny clone and want to minimise my losses to hop trub..... theres a shit load of hops

edit - auto correct beat me again

Latest posts

Back