Hop shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just do more volume to account for the losses.. it's what we did (kinda) on a collaborative brew day..

We have some en route from the states right now. Expecting them today or tomorrow. I'll post again when they are on the site.

Yob said:
just do more volume to account for the losses.. it's what we did (kinda) on a collaborative brew day..
I do the same when kettle addition go north of 10g/L, 3-6L of extra losses added in Brewmate, drop efficiency to account for extra liquid.

The biggest losses with IIPAs aren't from my first wort or 75 minutes additions anyway, the massive additions from 10min on are the killers.

Hopshots are now listed on the site here.

I'll be brewing with them next week. They actually smell really nice. Eau de Hop. You could put a dab on for a refreshing beery cologne!

Thanks Nick! If I put an order in tonight would I get it by brewday on Tuesday?

I can ship Monday morning by Express Post - you've got a good chance. Can't guarantee a morning brew time though!

All good mate, finish Uni at 12 so that will be perfect

Probably a simple question? But is there going to be a universal guide to these hop shots? Or is each seller going to put their own spin on the description. Would be good to have a consensus from sellers to help us consumers. KISS. Love to purchase from forum sponsors but wanting to compare apples with apples.
Cheers
Elz

Yob said:
The main factor that I've not gone for it, even on a personal level is it would kind of take the fun out of hop additions yeah?

Kind of clinical to add 3ml of a syringe rather than some sticky stinky hops :)

I imagine it'd help with losses on a massive beer too so it does have its place, just not in my brewery... Yet...
How times have changed yob :)

Being a Williamswarn owner knowing what ml of hotshot per 23 litre of beer and what flavour to expect would be invaluable knowledge. Again to retailers KISS. However you may what to keep this secret and only for the most advanced brewers!

Um, certainly hop usage is not describable in a linear fashion. Being as the extracts Hopdealz is selling are straight extracts from cone hops, there will almost certainly be variation from year to year.

I'd assume the Shots will come closer to a recipe-type description than hop pellets or cones, but how the flavour presents itself will still be very dependent on the beer you're adding it to. I'm not sure universal descriptions and volumes for additions will be possible. I've tasted six of them and the flavour manifests quite differently depending on what beer you put it in.

The chemistry of hops, whether cone, pellet or pure hop extracts just doesn't lend itself to easy description. I searched high and low for that information until a University of Oregon professor in their Fermentation Science department made it pretty clear to me it's just not possible.

Thanks Mardoo for your input. What would be good to know is that X amount of hopshot A ( BC...) will impart X amount of flavour simual to hop.. . That is hopshot (eg Limonata why not call the moteuka , if not what is the confusion) realtion to the real hop and for example what is the ml to achive the equivalent of x amount of dry hops. overall give us more details In plain English. Not too much to ask for?

There is a video on you tube on how to extract oils at home using food grade organic co2 in spray cans and it was discussed in another thread, it is just as easy, if not easier and quicker than using the solvent method but then the problem is the dosage.

Elz said:
That is hopshot (eg Limonata why not call the moteuka , if not what is the confusion)
coz many of them are proprietary and they cannot use the brand name

Doesn't help the consumer! In fact confuses the fukc out of them. Retailers get your act together. Again, clear simple advice to your consumers, not blaming the 'system'.. Love to know more precise ways of how to use this product for the average home brewer. Sorry too be so blunt!

Funny that CUB whom were one of the worst culprits for hop extracts have gone away from using these and there is interest in using these in home brew ...

Elz said:
Thanks Mardoo for your input. What would be good to know is that X amount of hopshot A ( BC...) will impart X amount of flavour simual to hop.. . That is hopshot (eg Limonata why not call the moteuka , if not what is the confusion) realtion to the real hop and for example what is the ml to achive the equivalent of x amount of dry hops. overall give us more details In plain English. Not too much to ask for?
Plain English is not too much to ask for. In fact, it would go a long way to helping me understand this post.

Elz said:
Doesn't help the consumer! In fact confuses the fukc out of them. Retailers get your act together. Again, clear simple advice to your consumers, not blaming the 'system'.. Love to know more precise ways of how to use this product for the average home brewer. Sorry too be so blunt!
Have you read whats already been posted about them? Doesnt sound like it so here, have a read of THIS

Now I assume you are retired, so you should have plenty of time to experiment and report back

Latest posts

Back