Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we expect more updates on this Doc??? Say every couple of days, the amination could get longer.... and we could all post useful info suggesting that you add some water, fertiliser, more shade, more sun, trim the lower leaves, cut out the growing head, what types of knots to use on your twine..... really helpful stuff :)

dreamboat

one of those models sweeping her hands over the hops would also be a nice touch

Nice animation Doc!
Well, I popped in to Bunnings on the weekend and picked up the Nitrosol - will apply some this weekend around the garden. The Chinook is up and running and the Goldings is still having a snooze with one purple shoot just breaking through now...

I also got the Potash of Sulphate and a big bag of Blood and Bone - I'm no gardening guru but apparently 1 part Potash to 10 Parts Blood and Bone makes a damn fine all purpose fertiliser, according to the horticulturalist in the plant section.

I don't care what it takes, as long as there's plenty of cones at the end!! B)

TL

dreamboat said:
Can we expect more updates on this Doc??? Say every couple of days, the amination could get longer.... and we could all post useful info suggesting that you add some water, fertiliser, more shade, more sun, trim the lower leaves, cut out the growing head, what types of knots to use on your twine..... really helpful stuff :)

dreamboat
[post="78188"][/post]​

Sure why not.
The AVI I made the gif from is better quality, but there isn't much difference yet to require the need of posting the AVI.

tangent said:
one of those models sweeping her hands over the hops would also be a nice touch
[post="78189"][/post]​

I don't think my daughter is old enough to follow my directors direction yet. Maybe next season.

Trough Lolly said:
Nice animation Doc!
Well, I popped in to Bunnings on the weekend and picked up the Nitrosol - will apply some this weekend around the garden. The Chinook is up and running and the Goldings is still having a snooze with one purple shoot just breaking through now...

I think my Nitrosol got washed away with the rain we have had in the last week. Might have to give it another dose in a few weeks.

My wife only wishes I took such an interest in the rest of the garden :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Where is a good place to purchase some seedlings here in sydney/macarthur area if possible

thanks 4 the heads up AB
it's chemical warfare here, snail pellets everywhere

More Hop Shots.

I trial erected my hop pole last weekend and finally tooks some decent shots of it. I may move it closer to the plant yet for a little less angle but it should still be OK where it lays. I have decided to go the centre pole with 1 plant either side (if the cutting continues as it has been). Have some L brackets off the top that I had laying around and will put some eye bolts through them to run the twine up. Might run 2 twines per plant spread at the base up to the same point on the pole.

Have asked before but no reply.....How heavy does the twine need to be for these baby's..Anyone? :unsure:

Borret :blink:

pole.jpghopshot.jpg

I saw a Yank site where the grower had 2 metal poles connected at the top with nylon rope, then more rope coming down off of that. The hops grew that heavy that the poles were leaning in towards each other.
In other words Borret, make sure it's strong cord with a gripable surface, but you don't need to tie up a boat with it :)
If they grab hold of that plastic mesh, they'll climb up that pretty fast.
Hope that helps.

Just a standard size hemp that you get in a hardware, 10mm diameter or so. Is gotta be rough so the bines can climb

The green gardening twine you can get from Bunnings or garden centres is perfect, light but strong.
Cheers
Andrew

Sounds like the brown garden twine I bought maybe a bit light. I think I will double it up and twist it to give it some more strength.
I have the stakes all ready to go in. Maybe a project for long weekend.

Beers,
Doc

A couple of pics from today.

First the Columbus which is going very well.

Doc_s_Hops_Columbus_019__Large_.jpg

And second the Hersbrucker. Going well but not as many shoots as the Columbus.

Doc_s_Hops_Hersbrucker_021__Large_.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Certainly am Tangent.
I have the hardware to build the long lines for them. Just haven't built it yet. If we get a fine night this week, I'll get it done.

Beers,
Doc

i'd be interested to see how many people have surplus hops to swap later in the picking season.

We've had some good rain here in Canberra lately.

The Chinook likes the watering...
Img_1120.jpg

So too does the sleepy Goldings (last years growth is that pale slug like growth just below the new shoots at the edge of the pot...
Img_1121.jpg

Cheers,
TL

i've been away working in Vic and NSW for a week.
Come back and woohoo, my babies are coming along nicely!
I added a heap of sheep sh!t before i left and noticed a new one popping it's head up this morning.
Notice that the bines have little hooks and not just spikes? Never noticed that until I looked at the pics.
View attachment 4172View attachment 4173View attachment 4174

Back