Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hersbrucker still with only two shoots.
Doc_s_Hops_025__Large_.jpg

The Columbus still going great guns.
Doc_s_Hops_026__Large_.jpg

And finally the lines for them to grow up.
If you look closely you can see a line between the two poles.
There is a third pole out of site that also has a string line to it for the Columbus to grow to. Depending on how they grow I may add another string line between the poles at about half height.
Doc_s_Hops_022__Large_.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Good work Doc,

Hey Tangent...what breed of hops have you got there? PoR? Cascade?
Cheers,

TL

I have grown hops in the past, at my Dad's place, as he has a very sunny backyard. I have been following this thread, watching everybody putting up pictures of their pride & joy (that would be a good name for a hop!). Well this morning I spotted a weird looking plant in the garden. It looks like a hop plant and is going pretty well. The only thing I can think of is that it has started from seed. When I sweep out the floor in the workshop I empty the dustpan in the same spot in the garden. Their is generally a bit of grain & the odd hop pellet. A couple of months ago I was repackaging some flowers, so the only thing I can think of is it has come from there. I will take some pics & post them when the wife shows me how to do it. If it is not hops, & is actually those seedless Mexican tomatoes then I guess I will leave it for the new tennants.
Cheers
Gerard

Given that I have already killed one hop plant, the pole may be a bit optimistic, but I'll keep trying.

pole.jpg

great pics guys.im hoping to grow some hop plants next year after my move down south so am particularly interested in the wa hop grows.

cheers
big d

I seem to have something eating the leaves on mine... Doesn't seem to be any snails or anything on them. Think i'll have to make a trip to the nursery.

How long ago did you guys plant yours? I planted mine about 2 months ago and they would be a good 4-5 metres high now.

n00ch,

Mine have slowed alot over the last couple of weeks too. I gave them a nitrogen boost and some potash yesterday so will be interested to see if it makes a difference. The bottom leaves on one shoot have small rust spots on them so they may well be insect related too. I might give em a spray with some pyrethrum tonight.

The cutting on the otherhand is going great guns. Has probably doubled in size since I potted it. It still lives on the kitchen window cill.

I finished the hop pole yesterday though so hope fully I will have something to grow up it soon. It's 4.5 metres high and I made the 'twines' out of 4mm sisal rope. 2 twines for the main plant and 1 for where the cutting will go. Have made the ropes lowerable, flag pole style, for harvesting any meagre crop that may emerge that is up out of reach. It may work, it may not. We shall see. It was no real hassle.

Cheers

Borret

Looking good Gout...might have to grab some straw mulch too - the Goldings looks like it's off to a good start - plenty of shoots there...I don't prune shoots unless there's heaps of them - I'm afraid of chopping off the one that's got the best growth potential!!

TL

Here is my POR in the front yard.
The only place I have to grow them. I will grow them along the pickett fence.

johnno

PA040751.JPG

Well my hop pole is finished but my hops are a little sick. have been keeping up the water and they have had a few doses of fertiliser but they aren't looking so flash. :( Anyone have any suggestions for me? :unsure:

hopssick.jpg

On the contrary my cutting is going great guns still and sprouts a new row of leaves every few days. :)

hoppot.jpg

And finally the rigged hop pole pics. I can lower the ropes for harvest if they climg tha thigh. 2 twines where the main plant is and 1 for the other side where the cutting will go. (and for some stability)

hoppolefin.jpg

Any advice on the sick hops would be appreciated.

Borret

have you got all your bases covered Borret?
Possibly copper sulphate? (check that 1st)
Plants need zinc, copper, iron, all sorts of stuff for gusto.
I make a tea of rusty nails and compost with sheep sh!t, i also heard about citrus growers that have problems with zinc deficiency and actually drive galvanised nails straight into the trunk as a quick remedy.
I'm no scientist with plants but I'll ask Raz the garden store dude, he's good because if he doesn't know he'll just say "Naaa" instead of bullshitting and trying to sell you something. But I have heard about mineral deficiency causing a yellowing.

Too much fertiliser (root burning) and water (water logging of roots) can cause yellowing. This time of year they would only need fertilising once a fortnight and in Adelaide atm no water

They dont look too bad Borrett.
Like Darren mentioned dont over fertilse and water them.
I would even water them less now to encourage strong root growth.
I have had mine in the ground for 7 weeks now and I only fertized when I transplanted.
I also have only watered them once as the rain has watered them about 4 times since them.
In high summer when the plant is bigger you will need to water more.

johnno

i spoke to Raz the nursery dude today and he basically confirmed what Darren said and also added that nitrogen is like junk food to us, good for a quick fix me up but you gotta have your base minerals covered, easiest he said is seasol seaweed stuff as well as the potash etc.
Cheers

tangent said:
i spoke to Raz the nursery dude today and he basically confirmed what Darren said and also added that nitrogen is like junk food to us, good for a quick fix me up but you gotta have your base minerals covered, easiest he said is seasol seaweed stuff as well as the potash etc.
Cheers
[post="81830"][/post]​

Just remember fellas, seasol is best used as a foliar spray, since plants take it up through their leaves. The size of the particles in seasol are smaller than the pores in the plants' leaves. If watered into the soil, most of the seasol is wasted as it is a liquid nutrient, that will wash through the soil and away from the plants roots. The most economical method of use is to mix it up with water and spray it onto the plants foliage early morning, with the use of a garden sprayer (one of the one's you pump up and down the handle to pressurise it). An application of seasol once a fortnight should suffice. BTW, I'm not affiliated with seasol in any way, but I have been using it on all my garden plants for the last 3 or 4 years with great results.

Cheers :)

Back