Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent dreamboat - well spotted. :lol:

I just noticed the little bugger when i was attaching the photo.....he may well be a hophead snail now!....*******. :angry:

Stoodoo said:
To get your hop plants really growing, you should use a fertiliser that's high in nitrogen (which encourages green growth ie foliage). And, once the plants established and coming toward its' flowering period you should use sulphate of potash to ncourage flowering, and definitely stop using the nitrogen rich fertiliser.

Cheers :)
[post="76493"][/post]​

Right, that's it then....We have some sick looking Box hedge that needs feeding - and who knows, some of the leftover nitrosol could go on the hops, couldn't it ;)

Trough Lolly said:
Right, that's it then....We have some sick looking Box hedge that needs feeding - and who knows, some of the leftover nitrosol could go on the hops, couldn't it ;)
[post="77332"][/post]​

Mine got a dose of Nitrosol last night. I did all my wifes gardinas as well.

Beers,
Doc

What did you do the wifes gardina's with Doc?

Roundup? :p

Kramer said:
What did you do the wifes gardina's with Doc?

Roundup? :p
[post="77339"][/post]​

Nah, they just got Nitrosol as well.

Beers,
Doc

I don't know if you remember the toy wheel barrow on the hop plant story from a month ago but maybe something good has come out of it. The bit that snapped off I hung from a cut down kebab skewer with some cotton and put in a glass of water (and a dash of trub initially)on the window cill. I was going to toss it about a fortnight ago but noticed it hadn't changed but also hadn't wilted or died. So I changed it to just water and left it. :unsure:

About 3 days ago I noticed it had got bigger. And lastnight it's got roots sprouting and is about twice the length it originally was. I don't understand why it took so long. But as they say 'it won't happen overnight, but it will happen"

Heres a photo of the shoot the day before it was busted

hopsnap.jpg
and the shoot now. I reckon the kebab skewer was the secret ingredient :p

hopscut.jpg

As far as fertiliser on them I have just been feeding them watered down fermentor trub about once a fortnight like everything else around here and SWMBO put some osmocote granules (nitrogen rich) on them too. :)

Cheers

Borret :blink:

Good stuff Borret.
I think deebee did something similar last year to get them started.

I'm getting my webcam setup again so I can see their progress from work :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Do you know if deebee's flowered Doc? I don't really know if it matters or if its relevant but don't they need a male and a female to flower? :unsure:

n00ch said:
Do you know if deebee's flowered Doc? I don't really know if it matters or if its relevant but don't they need a male and a female to flower? :unsure:
[post="77689"][/post]​
n00ch. The short answer is no. You only need both if you want to cross pollinate to create seeds and grow new varieties which most people avoid. This is briefly explained below:
Hops are dioecious, which means they have separate male and female plants. Only the female produces the flowers that are used for brewing or medicinal purposes. Male plants have no commercial value, but are used to pollinate females. Pollination stimulates higher yields by increasing cone size and seed set, but because brewers prefer seedless hops, males are only grown with other wise poor yielding female varieties. hop seed from a pollinated female is only planted when a cross between the male and female is desired to obtain a new variety.

Cheers Borret

The HopCam is setup and working.
Have configured the time lapse images too, so hopefully that will work out and I can make a small vid of the plants growing.

No sorry I will not give out the URL, as you guys would kill my connection in two minutes flat :(

Beers,
Doc

Hopcam17Sep05.JPG

:lol:

You IT guys make me sick! :p

Nice work Doc

Ah ok makes sense now borret thanks.

HA Good work Doc. Nice way to geek it up.

I just bought 3 x different hop rhizomes locally from AHM $ 10.00 each. I ended up with 8 after I realised how many were packed in the bags :party:

They are in their pots now. Cant wait until they get established

wow thats a good price
shows how much profit they're making in Adelaide

Deebe kindly swapped a POR cutting for some Raspberry plantlets earlier this year and I thought my POR had carked it until yesterday I noticed a little shoot has poked it's head up. Talk about relieved :D . Big things can come from small things so I am ever hopeful! My baby will be growing over possibly the most expensive trellis(Surplus from work) in Australia......I will post a pic tomorrow to explain further.....
Cheers
Chilla

Well my little cutting is hammering along. Should be ready to see dirt in a day or so's time :)

I also erected my hop pole on the wekend but haven't got any decent photo's yet. Will post some when I get them. If the cutting takes in the ground I should have a plant wither side of it.

Also for those who have done this before of a pole. How heavy does the twine have to be. I imagine a 4+ metre plant will have some wight about it. Is a light hemp rope a better option?

Borret

roots.jpg

Great to see some pics of your plants guys.
Has anybody tried growing them in Hydroponics? I think I have asked this somewhere before. I heard a chat show on the radio tonight about dope and how the Hydro grass is really bad because of the chemicals and the effect on the user. I always wanted to try to grow hops year round in hydro, but now I am not so sure.
Off to Google up some answers
James

Guys,

Took some happy snaps with the digi camera of my baby POR. I am a dud photographer but check out the trellis - all G316 Stainless so will outlast you and I! It is a leftover test piece of Helimesh(tm) used around helidecks on Oil/Gas Platforms(Worth $$$$ - nothing but the best for my hops). I just hope my baby lasts the hot Perth Summer.

Cheerio, thanks for the cultivation tips and great photos,
Chilla

POR.jpg

Trellis.JPG

Looking good Chilla.

I've done a really quick (and nasty) animated gif of two pictures of my hop plants taken exactly 48 hours apart.
You can definitely see growth happening :p

Beers,
Doc

HopGrowth2Days.gif

Back