Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was Jayse that has mentioned this method before, and I'm sure it would be a VERY rough ballpark guess, but stick some of the hops in your mouth and start chewing. Count back from 10 and when you spit it out that's the aa rating.
Out of curiosity I tried this on the weekend with some hallertau. I could only chew it for 7 (counted back to 3) seconds before I had to spit it out and my bag said 3aa. I haven't been game to try it on POR or any other bittering hop yet :ph34r: but maybe I'll get game and give it a go in the future.

Hi gang. I ordered a Cluster rhizome offa ebay. Should arrive soon. He's only a few km's away.

Anyway, I think I'm more into it for the novelty. I prefer using pellets anyway, and besides I couldn't give up Amarillos, specially now that I've got the bitterness balance down pat.

Put the posts in for the hop bine today. They are just treated pine square posts - about 4-5" thick. At first I thought I'd drill the posts and get a roll of fencing wire to make a few strands, but I found some old trellis wire that's not in bad nick. Should be OK. Better borrow that camera again

Tuesday I had 10 shoots sprouting from my 2nd year POR, now there is 15 shoots sticking their heads above ground. Five in two days! I have a feeling its going to ballistic.

Anyone in Adelaide with hops showing signs of life?
Any pics?

Yesterday I found some shoot from my Cascade coming up. Was a bit worried. Probably should mulch it and give it a drink

POR planted last week has 3 shoots coming up already :D , and the Victory I planted last year which only threw a 3 foot bine last season has three shoots just poking through now. I'm happy :p

Cheers
Andrew

Tangent - have a very, VERY careful dig around where you planted it with a small trowel. You will soon find out if there are any shoots finding there way to the surface. Good luck

Planted a Chinook rhizome only two weekends ago..2 shoots have appeared this morning!!

The 2 year old Goldings plant is still sleeping...

TL

My Hersbrucker still only has two shoots, but they are growing well and devleoping leaves.
The Columbus is going gangbusters. Must have at least six shoots and all going strong developing leaves.
Will take a piccy tomorrow in the daylight.
It is great watching something grow :lol:

Doc

Hey thanks Steve,
I had a very careful dig around and Y E A H ! WooHoo! I found 2 little purple dicks making their way up through the mulch.
Anyone in ADL want to do a swap of rhysomes or dried flowers come picking time?

my perle has about 4 shoots now just poking through the dirt so who knows after last years poor effortand tangnet i may take u up on that offere depends how the perle goes

Like everyone else my POR is well and truely climbing towards heaven with a primary shoot several inches and several secondary's which I think I will try and culture.

MWS

I put my POR in the ground from the big pot I had it in about 3 weeks ago.
for a while it looked like it was not happy. I thought it may be stunted growth. It now looks like it may be ok with a few shoots starting to pop up.
I'll post a pic soon.

johnno

Hops.JPG

Here is my Columbus plant going great guns.
The guy at the garden shop where I bought the pots and soil recommended putting Nitrosol on them when the shoots got going. So unless anyone can tell me not to they will get a dose of Nitrosol this week.

Beers,
Doc

Doc_s_Hops_018__Medium_.jpg

I gave my Chinook a couple doses of dynamic whiffter last season and it took off like a rocket.

To get your hop plants really growing, you should use a fertiliser that's high in nitrogen (which encourages green growth ie foliage). And, once the plants established and coming toward its' flowering period you should use sulphate of potash to ncourage flowering, and definitely stop using the nitrogen rich fertiliser.

Cheers :)

So this is one of those things that doesn't appreciate pissing on, eh?
Because if need be, i'm willing to donate.
I'm stoked about citrus! and now have 3 trees in different corners of the block :)

Guys,

Finally some action from my hop plants this year :) . Its their third year growing now and have only managed a couple of cones from it last year, they seem to get belted by the sun and bugs.

Any other sandgropers got any good growth on their plants yet. Any tips for the brown thumb for a successful crop in the west?

Cheers

IMGP2357.JPG

You had better get that snail BigAl before he demolishes your crop!

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back