Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guest Lurker said:
Growing Chinook and POR side by side, interesting how different they are. The leaf shape is different. The POR seem to grow the laterals specifically to fill with flowers, the one below is a cutting from Deebee in its first year, it went up 3 m and along 2 m.
[post="104893"][/post]​

Hey GL,
When you say a cutting do you mean a leaf or a section of bine?
I am going to visit Lukes and hopefully come away with some cuttings but I'm not sure if a leaf is good enough to successfully develop into a plant for next season. I'm sure a lateral or something would be better, but what is a minimum requirement?

Deebee did the cutting and potting, I just planted it. The information you seek is in these 25 pages somewhere, or maybe in one of the other hop growing threads on this site.

My POR has gone off since posting the pics ages ago on this thread. Its now starting to flower all over. Do you reckon I should pick them as I go or wait until the end of the season and pick them all at once like I did last year? Whats the go? If I start picking them now, I dont want to leave them sitting in a bowl before freezing. If you know what I mean. Whats the go? I think it was about March/April before I picked them all last year (all 12gms of em)!
Cheers
Steve

Another Update on my POR.

Coming along quite well.
They are growing along the fence and over the fence into the neighbours house.

Got to love this weed.

johnno

hops_Feb.JPG

hops2_feb.JPG

P2032666.JPG

Simon W said:
LOL, had any comments from the neighbours yet?
[post="106489"][/post]​

Nah. They are fine with it. They know what it is and that I am a brewer.

They have even enjoyed a few brews with special comments about a Crystal rye IPA.

johnno

Just back from a couple of weeks in NZ.
Stopped in Nelson for a week to catchup with family etc.
Took a couple of piccies of the NZ Hop plantations.

Here is a piccy from the car doing about 80km/h so the quality is a bit ordinary.

NZ_Jan_06_221__Large_.jpg

Here is a piccy of a plantation after it has been harvested.

NZ_Jan_06_224__Large_.jpg

And finally we took the kids to an animal farm and what did they have for a bit of greenery ? Yep hops.

NZ_Jan_06_220__Large_.jpg

My hops seem to have survived whilst I was away. A good water today should see them right. Only flowers on the Hersbrucker still though.

Beers,
Doc

Here's some pics of my columbus but a few days ago.

First shot is of the original plant. Fairly feable but a few cones nonetheless.

hopsoriginal.jpg

These shots are the cutting. Only one main stem but about a dozen sidearms that came out fromt he base that are near as big as the main stem. (shots taken with flash so the colours a bit strange)

hops1.jpghops2.jpg
hopdetail.jpg

Brent

Here are my Babies in their first year of growth from Rhizomes.

2xvarieties.jpg

There are 3 varieties here, POR, Fuggles & Goldings. Not sure which is which, just have to wait & compare leaf & cones to known samples :blink: (Dog dug these out when I had them labelled) :angry:

small_crop.jpg

I'm happy with their first crop
HF.jpg

Can anyone identify the yellowing on this leaf? Just seems to be confined to one variety so far. :unsure:
Hop_Leaf_Yellow2.jpg

Hi Phil,

For your first year........are you serious. I would be over the moon if i got a crop that good in the first year. My rhizome in the second year has seem to hit a wall this year, not expecting much more to come.

I to would also like to know what this yellowing is, my plant has it but doesn't seem to be hurt by it.

Will

Edit- Spelling

I will admit now i havent followed the thread the whole way through, and im guessing that you use those cones there in our brew right?
If so, how many grams are you predicting per vine Phil?

Kungy, I am every bit surprised as yourself, thses are have grown better than any weed I know :) I have been feeding them on Thrive and watering very well. The ones that were watered most, have a large crop.

It may have something to do with the size of the Rhizomes too. I think I mentioned earlier that I bought 3x varieties for $10.00 each. When I unwrapped them I had 8 in total :super:

The yellowing only seems to be on one bine so far, may be too much fertiliser?

berto, I'm not sure what the end weight will be as I wasn't expecting such a large crop. Will keep you posted though. Once the hop cones are dried, they can be used whole in the boil as you do with pellets/plugs.

My biggest worry is determining the varieties :rolleyes:

edit: forgot to answer all questions :party:

well looking good.hanging out for the post harvest reports on how the beer tastes with your home grown hops added.
reckon wort run through a hopback of fresh hops would be awesome.

cheers
big d

Hey Phil S
They are magnificent looking plants well done
Cheers Altstart

Hi Fellow hopsters,

I built my drying box on the weekend and harvested probably 2/3rds of my crop this afternoon. All up wet weigh is 250g which I am stoked about for a first year crop as I should get close to 70-80 g total when dry (including what's left on the bines) by my estimates. :)

Anyway here some photo's (I knew that second dial therm would come in handy one day)

Brent

hop_box1.jpghop_box2.jpg

Nice box Borret.

I harvested mine last week & this arvo too. Hopefully i got em off at the right time :p

My 2 cuttings are going mental now too, 1 is starting to bud & the other is growing rapidly. I expect to get 2 more plants worth of cones at this rate :D

I buried some rooting cuttings in the ground this arvo too, hopefully will dig up some rhizomes later in the year. If anyone wants to swap other strains for cluster let me know.

IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0375.jpg

Phil, that looks like a Potassium deficiency.

Go buy some fish emulsionshould fix it right up ;)

PZ.

My POR cones are well on the way to being ready for harvest. I'm very pleased, given that at one stage they were nearly cactus after the growing tip of the bine got eaten by snails. Fortunately they came back stronger than ever, and with a little luck I think I might manage to harvest enough for a whole batch (trying not to count my chickens before they hatch!). :D

Some pics attached:

hops1b.jpg

hops3b.jpg

hops17b.jpg

hops11b.jpg

hops5b.jpg

MY POR is still going.

Yu can see how it has started growing over the fence into the next door neighbours house.

johnno

Hop1.JPG

hop2.JPG

Latest posts

Back