Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the lattitude of the area. I suspect that hop growing was not commercially viable in the area unless you guys are talking about Albany type area.

cheers
Darren

Chilla, I'm sure I saw more photo's, but can't find them.
That photo may be from the following book:

TALL TREES & TALL TALES
Stories of old Pemberton - a marvellous reminiscence of
the characters and places of the big timber country.
by John Morris & Roger Underwood ( ISBN: 0 85905 168 4 )

Listed for page 23 are:
Harvesters (Hops - plucking fingers)
Hops (Growing)
Hops ('On The')
Gardens (Bunn's Hop)

I did a search on the LISWA telnet catalogue and found copies at:
(Dewey# 994.12/PEM)
3rd floor Battye shelves,(? dunno where that is, but same name as bottom of photo)
Scarborough, Broome, Bentley and Manjumup.

Maybe the photo is of the Bunns?

Theres also a 'Hop Garden Road' in Pemberton, a fair bet its named after the farm in the photo.

is the library photo from batz side of the family? ;)

Bingo!!

I found more photo's, looks like the site I found a few years ago. State library website.
Here are a few pages for you to check out:
Click A few cool photo's there.
Click Same photo I posted earlier. Not Mrs Bunn, it's Mrs Walker.
Click A short excerpt from a book that mentions John (Jack) Bunn, the book can be found Here
ClickBunn Family members and Frank Shoobridge in hop fields.
Judging by the photo titled 'Hops in the kiln', the farm was very successfull at growing hops, theres enough there to keep every member of the AHB going for life!, maybe it was the commercial aspect that failed?.

Simo

EDIT: extra links.

Doc,

My original columbus plant from the rhizome I got from the grumpsters this year (like yours) has only one flower so far with a few tiny ones starting elsewhere. The plant is altogether pretty measly.
However..... that involuntary cutting that came from it is about 5 times the plant that it is and is now getting more and more covered in buds every day. I wouldn't have thought it possible. I reckon I might even get enough for a full brew out of it if it keeps going this way. The whole thing really took off about 2-3 weeks ago and about a dozen side arms off it, as well as the single main bine, are climbing between 100-150mm on some of the sunniest days we have been having.

Gigglin,

Brent

does anyone watch that show "return to river cottage"

Its a pommy show on austar.

I was watching a few weeks ago and he borrowed a brew rig off someoun cause he found a wild hop plant growing in the scrub.

I wish i could find a wild hop plant.

mine died :angry:

He tossed the hops in the brew branches and all. :p

mmmmmmmmmm he never said how it tasted.

Wooohoooo, my Hersbrucker is starting to flower.
On the downside I'm out of here for two weeks so they will flower and die by the time I get home :angry:

Doc

Took some pics of my plants today.
I reckon theyre doing pretty good considering i know nothing about gardening :huh:

Its a cluster sourced through grumpys.

The main plant/rhizome was transplanted from its first spot after a few months cause it was looking sick & wilting. It took off shortly after the move :D

I took 2 cuttings in november & planted them in the ground in december. 1 is growing up the centre string. The other on the left end (this ones crown shrivelled up & died but it grew another & is starting to take off now.

I found caterpillars yesterday arvo when i was looking for why the leaves were getting eaten. The buggers are well camouflaged, i didnt see it til i pulled what was left of a leaf off & it stared moving. Ended up picking off 15 then & 2 tiny ones off today.

Gonna have to find some caterpillar killin stuff :lol:

KillerRx4 said:
Gonna have to find some caterpillar killin stuff :lol:

"Rhubarb Juice" dude ;)

Im for real hereits a great spray-on aphid killer and those caterpillars wont go near anything sprayed with it :beerbang:

Take rhubarb stalks and roots, boil them in water at a 50/50 ratio for 5 or 10 minutes and throw some soap flakes in at the same time. Let it cool and you have the good stuff ready to rock :)

DO NOT let anyone drink itlol

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
"Rhubarb Juice" dude ;)

Im for real hereits a great spray-on aphid killer and those caterpillars wont go near anything sprayed with it :beerbang:

I can believe that, the stuff repels me pretty good :blink:

Simo

Killer, another slightly easier method is to use a bT spray - it is a natural virus that only affects caterpillars. Even the organic guys are allowed to use it! It comes in a sachet form and you chuck it in water, mix and apply.

Darren, the location of Pemberton:
Latitude:-34.4478 S Longitude: 116.0433 E

About the same as Adelaide;
Latitude:-34.9524 S Longitude: 138.5204 E

Just above Myrtleford in Vic;
Latitude:-36.5667 S Longitude: 146.7333 E

But still no Bushy Park...
Latitude:-42.7117 S Longitude: 146.8975 E

Chatty

Mmmmm, soap and rubarb hopped beer. Should add an interesting twist to the bitterness...not sure about head retention

:p

Chatty said:
Killer, another slightly easier method is to use a bT spray - it is a natural virus that only affects caterpillars. Even the organic guys are allowed to use it! It comes in a sachet form and you chuck it in water, mix and apply.
It's called Dipel and it works great against caterpillars, and it's all-natural :)
Get it at any nursery/plant shop, or at Bunnings.

Hi all,
The wind over the weekend snappe dhte end off one of my 3 main bines, what shoudl I do,

1) cut that bine back to the ground?

2) leave it as is, and allow another smaller bine to take its place, or what?

Case

Last week I harvested 46 grams of hops from my Victoria plant, dry weight was 24grams. I am pleased as it was it's first season. My POR is full of flowers so hopefully between the 2 I might get a couple of brews :D

Cheers
Andrew

Sinkas, you never know what those crazy, crazy plants are going to do. :p

It might be worth letting it go, although if it was getting pretty developed then it won't come to much. If getting close to flowering I would cut it back. The plant is only going to put more oomph into the remaining two bines.

If the plant is only still young/has a fair way to go before flowering then i'd let it go. It may still come to something.

I've seen wheat plants with the tops of their shoots poking out over the top of 4 inches of water for 2 weeks, only to recover and still go on to produce a shade over 2 tonnes of grain per hectare. Plants will recover from a fair bit of adversity given half a chance.

Chatty

My hops are really starting to take off with this warm weather and rain, my P.O.R and cluster are flowering, infact they look like they're almost ready for harvest!? I didnt think harvesting season was till the weather started getting cooler?
My Hallertauer is yet to flower but its getting taller by the day, all the vines are at least 15ft.... and i was hestitant about how well they would grow in sydney :blink:
They're all going off!
Heres some pics, they were taken on my phone excuse the bad quality.

hops1.jpg
hops2.jpg
hops3.jpg

Growing Chinook and POR side by side, interesting how different they are. The leaf shape is different. The POR seem to grow the laterals specifically to fill with flowers, the one below is a cutting from Deebee in its first year, it went up 3 m and along 2 m.

POR.jpg

The chinook is a rhyzome, threw a large number of laterals, and the flowers turn up randomly along the course of the main vine and the laterals. The initial buds are little fluffy balls, compared to tight cones on the POR. This has gone up 3 m, along 3 m, then the main vines have stopped with lots of laterals turning up.

chinook.jpg

Latest posts

Back