Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i just harvested my 1st hop crop, theres not much but maybe just enough for a flavour and aroma addition, at least i'll be able to taste the fruits of my labour. Its been fun growing them, looking forward to next years bumper crop! :lol:
On the left is cluster and on the right P.O.R. My hallertau dont look they are going to flower its their first year so im not surprised.
This pic was taken on my phone hence the poor quality.

1sthopscrop.jpg

How much do you want for those Hopsta?

I'll buy them all. :p

johnno

johnno said:

johnno
[post="112288"][/post]​

I couldnt do that Johnno that would be like selling my own children! :lol:

Hopsta said:
johnno said:

johnno
[post="112288"][/post]​

I couldnt do that Johnno that would be like selling my own children! :lol:
[post="112289"][/post]​

And besides im only allowed to sell direct to Hopco! :ph34r:

Johno,

I wouldn't go buying them ALL. Some AHBers might think you were being unethical in not leaving some to share.

Picked 3/4 of my 2 year old POR yesterday arvo (bloody tedious) and got 403gms (wet). Better than the 12gms from the first year. Cheerin :beer:
Steve

Packed the last of my dried first year columbus last night.
Total dry wieght for the crop is 80g. :D

I now this sounds dodgy but a nice trick for compressing the suckers is a 60ml syringe (available from the chemist.) Just bore out the centre part of the luerlock so only the 1/4 dia surround remains. Pull out the plunger and pack the hops in and compress with the plunger every so often. Pack in some more and compress till full. Then push out the plug of hops into your bag/comtainer using a dowel (eg. or similar) that fit's the 1/4 inch hole. I manged to fit twice the amount into a bag as I did the first time where I just pushed em in by hand.
I surpose if you wanted to leave them in the syringe it would work as a nice oxygen barrier (and they'd stay more compressed) Just put a cap on the end, leave the plunger in and put em in the fridge/freezer. They'd hold about 30g of hops compressed if you held your mouth right.

Bring on 'Columbus's Maiden Ale'

Brent.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Phil, that looks like a Potassium deficiency.

Go buy some fish emulsionshould fix it right up ;)

PZ.
[post="108329"][/post]​

I was a bit slow to report back on this one, but I took your advice & used some powerfeed fertiliser. This stuff worked really well in between feeds with thrive & now have a lot more growth.

Thanks for the tip :beer:

Ok, since we are talking harvesting. Here is the chinook, a second year rhizome, just before harvest. The oldest cones had started to brown and were dropping petals. There were still some new cones growing, so I may get a second crop but I pulled most off today. It only takes about 30 mins to an hour to carefully pull them off one by one. Interestingly, my arms came up in a rash and went all tingly. NOOO I cant be allergic to hops, I love hops! Anyone else experience a reaction?
400 g green weight for the main harvest off the chinook.

chinookharvest.jpg

I also have a first generation POR cutting. Check out the difference in cone sizes, chinook on the left. Are POR growers finding the cones are quite small, or is it because the POR was a cutting? Only got 170 g green weight off the POR.

compare_hops.jpg

The drying room. Who cares if mosquitos are now flying in my bedroom window. Cant wait to try using these.

drying.jpg

Guest Lurker said:
Ok, since we are talking harvesting. Here is the chinook, a second year rhizome, just before harvest. The oldest cones had started to brown and were dropping petals. There were still some new cones growing, so I may get a second crop but I pulled most off today. It only takes about 30 mins to an hour to carefully pull them off one by one. Interestingly, my arms came up in a rash and went all tingly. NOOO I cant be allergic to hops, I love hops! Anyone else experience a reaction?
400 g green weight for the main harvest off the chinook.
[post="113941"][/post]​

Paint that wall ochre or terracotta and that shot would be the ultimate tuscan(contrast) shot of all time.Luv it any way :super:

GL,

No worries on the hops rash mate. Common complaint. They actually suggest long sleeves when harvesting but who can be bothered in the excitement ;) Damb it gets itchy though :lol: I'm guessing the size of the POR is varitey related.Mine variet in size with the cones that came from the tip of the sidearms being absolute monsters, basically double the size, but the petal size was the same.
Decent crop on the 400g wet weight, that's about what mine was predrying too. :)

How does the chinook smell v's commercial/american grown stuff.
I (and others) who have smelt my columbus can't put description as to what it actually smells like. Very familiar smell to all but pinpointing the aroma's likeness we can't. Shame no one I know has smelt the genuine thing to give comparison either.

Can't wait to try these beers.

Brent

Guest Lurker said:
I also have a first generation POR cutting. Check out the difference in cone sizes, chinook on the left. Are POR growers finding the cones are quite small, or is it because the POR was a cutting? Only got 170 g green weight off the POR.
[post="113942"][/post]​

I've noticed the same issue with my POR cones being a bit small for their first crop. However, I only picked the ones that were just turning brown around their edges.

This allowed the second picking to fill out more and are now longer than 40 mm.

Hopefully, these girls will produce a better crop next year :super:

OK

Flash back to the can you grow a hop plant from leaf cuttings or do you need a section (read "tip") of the bine...

6weeks ago took leaf cuttings of Cluster plant (thanks LukeS)

Many leaf cuttings still alive in mix of water saving gel stuff and seed raising mix having also been prodded along with seaweed solution foliar fed.
I lifted a sick looking specimen, and sure enough it has roots... just maybe not enough for leaf size and they don't seem to be able to grow... maybe it is early days?

While the leaf cuttings are alive and growing roots, the 2 bine tips I got at the same time are actively growing (I presume with roots too).

Moral of the story... Rhizome harvesting may be the most reliable means of propogating but planting out bines that are cut back earlier in the season will work well too.

Only thing left to see is if the plants survive the dormant stage.
I expect the bine originated plants will do OK.
I am also hoping that the leaf cuttings survive and after winter generate a new "bine" to enable growth.

hops2.jpg

My hops did worse in their second year than the first. Could be I watered em less and trained then sideways rather than straight up.
Just my 0.000002

cheers
Darren

same here Darren
more shoots but bugger all cones

Marathon thread, just read the whole lot...

Has anyone experimented with the 'espialier' method?
If it was suited looks like it might make harvesting more managable.

Plum%20Espalier%201.jpg

This example is a pear tree i think, there was a mulberry tree but it was to bushy to see the branches.

I have heard of the hops' cousin being trained in a similar method.

Boozy,

I will be planting quite a few hop plants this season (25 to be precise) and I planned on doing something very similar to what you have shown there. I don't have the infrastructure to get them to grow up 5 meters so I planned to have them grow up less and to the side more (I am hoping that isn't the reason for Darren's lower yield this year as he suggested!). This sort of training (on a slightly smaller scale) is common in vineyards. I figure its worth a go so why not! I may run three horizontal wires, but probably a bit lower to the ground than the photo of the pear tree.

Latest posts

Back