Hop Plantation 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let mine grow as they wanted to this time around and they seemed pretty happy.
Grew all over the place.
Not a very big plant and I was suprised at how much I got out of them.

cheers
johnno

I have to rhizomes in pots that didn't do so well I think i let them get a bit dry and on a hot windy day I lost a lot of the foliage. Anyway I was wondering if I should take them out of pots now and put them into the groud for next year or leave them.

I'd be sticking them in the ground if you have the space and start from scratch. Couple of metres apart. Ive heard of people growing them in pots with great success - but IMHO you cant beat sticking them in the ground - apparently their tap roots like to go deep?
Cheers
Steve

When planting bines for new rhizomes they stay attached to the plant. From what I have read you can cut them back to a couple of feet long, bend them over and bury them in a ditch you've dug and then dig them up and split them at the beginning of next season.

The deep roots is definately true. I read somewhere they go down 15ft where possible.

FWIW. All the cuttings I took late in the season are getting root bound in their pots now and actually have a rhizome of sorts forming under the surface. So I can see why a full season plant would struggle if left in a pot when you see the root's versus palnts on these baby's.

Brent

Agree with Borret ive also read that about laying the bines down and burying them....just forgot. So Hopsta give that a try, dig a ditch, lay a bine in it, bury it and maybe put a brick on it in case it somehow springs back up and has your eye out! Shame ive pruned mine already - bugger
Cheers
Steve

I brewed my 'Columbus's Voyage of Hop Discovery" Ale on tuesday (along with a saison on my first double brew bash). Flowers smelt nice in the boil but from first tastings have not given as much bitterness as I though being such a high alpha strain. Not that it really matters as this was just a beer, hoppy as it may be with 80g of flowers, to get a handle on a new hop and it's possiblilites for the future. Looking forward to trying it. Definately stronger hop aroma coming from the airlock than normal at this early stage.

Anyone else brewed with theirs yet.

Brent

I boiled up some of my POR flowers, cant remember exactly how much and added it to an ESB Traditional Bitter. Its bottled and carbing up. God knows what its going to be like :blink:
Cheers
Steve

Since my ornamental Hallertau has managed its second season without a flower!.... Next year I'm going to harvest the shoots.

Just reading up on Belgium & Apparently in spring their a delicious delicacy and can be served raw in salads or cooked.
Anyone tried eating the shoots yet?

Asher for now

here's a recipe for hop risotto. I hope her cooking is better than her brewing. check out the beer recipe :eek:

http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1037738.htm

Asher.

Guess what else I found on that page?? It make explain the lack of a smile on our SWMBO's faces. :(

Hop Tea
Hops are used by herbalists for their mild sedative and soothing qualities and to help digestion. Hops are mildly sedative and will also slightly lower the male sex drive.
One tablespoon of the crushed flowers to one cup of hot water will help insomnia, if not lack of libido. This can be taken three times a day after meals to help indigestion. It is also sometimes recommended for irritable bowel sydrome, but should be taken under medical advice.

Warren -

Finally got some flowers. Approx 20-30. On one runner the cones have turned brown, but on the other they're still green.

Main thing is there's some big thick roots on it, so I reckon the whole trellis will fill up next summer.

Here's a bad picture.

DSCF1107.jpg

If any Melbourne brewers want any cuttings from my POR before I rip mine out in the next couple of weeks, PM me.

They are easy to grow.

johnno

dairymaid said:
Are you guys, brewing with green hops or are you drying them?
[post="117748"][/post]​

Hi dairymaid,
I have dried mine out. Made a brew with them today.

johnno

So how do you start a hop plantation, ie when to plant, and best place to source. how are most of the beers brewed with home hops turned out. very interested in doing it my self. just another feather in cap sort of thing. cheers David

You can buy rhizomes online (www.grumpys.com.au is one place) or if you're lucky, you might be able to get a cutting or rhizome from someone on this board. A few people have already offered cuttings in this thread.

They're planted around the end of winter.

Finally got around to packing these up and will freeze them I suppose.

One thing is for sure, I will miss the smell of hops in the air.

They have just been sitting in the buckets for a few days. Lazy me could not pack them.

cheers
johnno

weigh.JPG

bag.JPG

Nice crop there.
I got 250gms of dried cones off my plant-year 1!.
Just left to go wild with plenty of food and watering

I wondered if you guys were using your hops green, or drying t hem
This article is off RealbeerNZ but was also in our local paper Cascade also make a beer with green hops!

The Brewjolais run is underway
Mar 16, 2006
Author: Lion
Plainly, some breweries are prepared to indulge in shameless publicity stunts just to sell more beer. Here at Mac's, we take our shameless publicity stunts far more seriously than that.

Our latest is altogether a work of art. Early on the morning of February 16 just gone, our Head Brewer Colin Paige went out to River Hops farm in Moteuka to hunt the very first hops of the new season. Speed was of the essence in order to retain the delicate flavour and aromas of the hops. Returning to the Mac's Brewery in Nelson with 140 kgs of green Styrian Goldings cones, Colin set about brewing the first beer in the world to be made with the 2006 crop. Madness. In fact, to our knowledge, a beer made with fresh hops has never been brewed in New Zealand before.

Brewing with green hops is a pastime for the brazenly over-confident. Yet Colin was determined to wrangle this 5.5% Kiwi Pale Ale into something unique, something that will enhance Mac's reputation for innovation and for infuriating the kind of people who deserve to be infuriated. He's even given it a name to convey the appropriate sense of urgency Macs Brewjolais.

Just like the crazy Anglo-French wine dash from which it takes its name, Brewjolais is going to become an annual event. Its a celebration of hop-growing, natural brewing and the capacity of Colin's van. And just like Beaujolais, fresh is the way to go.

But wait, theres more. Because Colin really likes to come first. Not only is he creating the first beer made from 2006 hops, hes creating a whole new style of beer. Beers with a distinctive hop character are traditionally known as India Pale Ales or America Pales Ales. But to commemorate New Zealands first ever green hop brew, this distinctive beer will be known as a Kiwi Pale Ale or KPA. And theres no doubt that it will have a hoppy character. As if using green hops for a full flavour wasnt enough, Colin has used an outrageous amount of them.

Only one question in all this remains unanswered. What does it taste like? Well, no one knows for sure. Yet. Macs Marketing Manager Cormac van den Hoofdakker says, Were expecting the green Styrian Goldings hops to create a flavour of orange jelly or mandarin. But at the Macs Brewery weve learnt to expect the unexpected. What we do know is that with a van load of hops in the mix, anyone who tries the Brewjolais will find out what brewers really mean when they talk about the hop-smile!

Excited? We are. Nervous? Colin is. Here's to the fates and the magnificence of Brewjolais, in whatever form it may take. Stand by for the 1st of April when the Macs Brewjolais will be available in selected Macs bars nationwide. At .50 a pint youd be crazy not to try it. But make it quick, this is an extremely limited release and the French are on their way

Latest posts

Back