Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to all pale malts. Look for wheat and Pilsen liquid malt extracts if you can get them.

You could maybe try one o the posted recipes subbing the galaxy with the amarillo and dry hopping with the simcoe. That should give you a bit of a smoother bitterness with mellow-er flavours and the resinous nose of hop hog mine was missing. It's a good idea, I'll have to give it a shot in my next attempt.

Ok so i have been thinking about this for the last few days and I am going to go with the Amarillo and simcoe to replace to Galaxy and leaving the rest of the recipe the same.

15g amarillo @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g amarillo @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g amarillo @ 5 mins

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop
20g simcoe @ dryhop

Estimated IBU = 45.5

Any suggestions?

Looks solid to me, it might not taste exactly like a Hop Hog but I think with that combo and those addition times it'll still be a delicious IPA. There's only one way to find out for sure... :)

You still planning on going with the wheat malt and light malt combo? Will you be adding any steeped grains?

Yeah i was thinking of sticking to the wheat/light malt combo. But the WWDWD recipe only calls for 150g of grain which according the spreedsheet is only giving me a EBC of 10.5 i am considering on bumping that up a bit for a bit more color

It's very similar toy next brew but I'm going to drop the simcoe in earlier as well as dry hopping. I'm after the resinous taste as well as the aroma. Hadn't decided which addition yet though

Glad people are still interested in this! I've just brewed another batch that is very similar to the first one I put down but changed slightly due to my available ingredients. This is my first winter brew and I can't get my fridge up to 18C so looks like I'll be setting this down in the hall. The original recipe I put down is definitely a delicious beer (the best I have made so far) but there's still quite a way to go to match Hop Hog and I am keen on getting there. I wanna get some of those resin flavours next time... is Simcoe the best for that?

Anwyays, here's what I put down today. Upped the Galaxy cos I liked it and wanted a lil more of that fruitiness.

Ferment Vol: 21l

3kg Coopers Light Malt Liquid
200g Dextrose (wouldn't normally use dextrose but I was out of Dry Malt and wanted to up the alc a little bit)
200g Crystal grains steeped

6l Hop Boil with

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
15g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins

probably dry hop with whatever centennial and citra I have left and some galaxy

US-05

OG 1.041

Mine is:

28.35 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

39.69 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

34.87 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

34.87 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

28.35 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Dry hop with the same ratios for 3 days

I don't think galaxy appears in this brew at all, and definitely not at the bittering stage

WWDWD said:
Glad people are still interested in this! I've just brewed another batch that is very similar to the first one I put down but changed slightly due to my available ingredients. This is my first winter brew and I can't get my fridge up to 18C so looks like I'll be setting this down in the hall. The original recipe I put down is definitely a delicious beer (the best I have made so far) but there's still quite a way to go to match Hop Hog and I am keen on getting there. I wanna get some of those resin flavours next time... is Simcoe the best for that?

Anwyays, here's what I put down today. Upped the Galaxy cos I liked it and wanted a lil more of that fruitiness.

200g Dextrose (wouldn't normally use dextrose but I was out of Dry Malt and wanted to up the alc a little bit)

6l Hop Boil with

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
15g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins

US-05

OG 1.041
I'll be interested how yours turns out. I have learnt to use Galaxy with caution as it can overwhelm other hops. This is tomorrows plan -

200g Dextrose
200g wheat grains steeped

5g Galaxy @ 60 m
10g Chinook @ 30 m
10g Columbus @ 20 m
10g Columbus @ 15 m
25g Simcoe @ 10 m
10 g Columbus @ 5 m

Will think about what and whether to dry hop.

This went down today. I don't expect to replicate the HH but hope to please the taste buds in similar fashion.

400g Dextrose
200g wheat grains steeped for 30 mins
5g Galaxy @ 60 m
10g Chinook @ 30 m
10g Columbus @ 20 m
5g Columbus @ 15 m
25g Simcoe @ 10 m
5g Columbus @ 5 m

5 litre boil topped up to 22 litres.

05 yeast

WWDWD said:

6l Hop Boil with

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
15g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins

US-05

OG 1.041
I just dry hopped this using what little I had left of Citra and Centennial plus some Galaxy. Last time I left out the Galaxy when dry hopping because I read that it can be overbearing... but I found that I was left wanting more of that passionfruit aroma. I would have liked to put more Citra and Centennial in but this will have to do.

Dry hopped with
10g Citra
7g Centennial
13g Galaxy (just to make it an even 30g)

I'll be away from the fermenter over the weekend so I'm going to pop it in the fridge to cold crash on Thursday then hopefully bottle early next week.

WWDWD said:
I just dry hopped this using what little I had left of Citra and Centennial plus some Galaxy. Last time I left out the Galaxy when dry hopping because I read that it can be overbearing... but I found that I was left wanting more of that passionfruit aroma. I would have liked to put more Citra and Centennial in but this will have to do.

Dry hopped with
10g Citra
7g Centennial
13g Galaxy (just to make it an even 30g)

I'll be away from the fermenter over the weekend so I'm going to pop it in the fridge to cold crash on Thursday then hopefully bottle early next week.
Looking forward to your results on this one. What IBU did you come up with? I'm resisting dry hoping my current attempt, figured I'd see how it tastes first time around.

I just updated my spreadsheet to reflect the actual AA% values and it works out to be an IBU of 62.4
The Galaxy was 14.2%, Cent was 10.2% and Citra was 13%.

WWDWD said:
I just updated my spreadsheet to reflect the actual AA% values and it works out to be an IBU of 62.4
The Galaxy was 14.2%, Cent was 10.2% and Citra was 13%.
Hop hog runs at 48 IBU's were you aiming for the higher bitterness ? Mine came in around 44. My hops comes with an AA range (eg Simcoe 11% to 15%)and if I use the top of the range I get 51 IBU. Which I'd prefer as I am not sure as to how much sweetness steeping 200 grams of wheat will add.

Just checking the aroma from the airlock and it has mellowed considerably. I guess I have another day to resist dry hopping.

TS

Honestly I just forgot to check what Hop Hog's IBU was and played it by ear. Loose as.

Mine smells amazing. Next time I make it I'm going to review this whole thread and redo my research and try and get it closer and close to the real deal.

Wolfman1 said:
It's very similar toy next brew but I'm going to drop the simcoe in earlier as well as dry hopping. I'm after the resinous taste as well as the aroma. Hadn't decided which addition yet though
Did you decided when you might throw the extra Simone in. I have got a bit extra and have been looking at all the options.

I am not sure if i should just stick to my original plan (post No. #102) or if i should drop the Amarillo back a t 60min to 10G and put 20g of Simone in at 5min to give me an IBU of around 47 (cant remember the exact numbers and i don't have my spreadsheet on hand)

Anyway i have all the ingredients and i will be getting it under way tomorrow.

mmcenall said:
Did you decided when you might throw the extra Simone in. I have got a bit extra and have been looking at all the options.

I am not sure if i should just stick to my original plan (post No. #102) or if i should drop the Amarillo back a t 60min to 10G and put 20g of Simone in at 5min to give me an IBU of around 47 (cant remember the exact numbers and i don't have my spreadsheet on hand)

Anyway i have all the ingredients and i will be getting it under way tomorrow.
I went for 10g of simcoe at 10 & 5 mins and 15g of Amarillo at 60 mins.
The Amarillo was 8.6% AA but I haven't checked it on a spreadsheet either.
I'm still to dry hop but will probably go a little lighter, maybe 10g of centennial, simcoe and galaxy.
I'm on dry July so I'll be trying to avoid the brew cupboard as much as possible.
I'm thinking of fitting a padlock and giving the key to the missus

Three Sheets said:
This went down today. I don't expect to replicate the HH but hope to please the taste buds in similar fashion.

400g Dextrose
200g wheat grains steeped for 30 mins
5g Galaxy @ 60 m
10g Chinook @ 30 m
10g Columbus @ 20 m
5g Columbus @ 15 m
25g Simcoe @ 10 m
5g Columbus @ 5 m

5 litre boil topped up to 22 litres.

05 yeast
Just sampled this and found it distinctly grapefruit in character, although not unpleasant, its not quite what I had in mind, couldn't detect that resinous aroma I'd earlier experienced. Anyway unless I can be convinced that dry hopping will restore the resin, I'll keg drink and tweak this recipe.
It may improve in the coming weeks.

WWDWD you might be on the right track with the higher IBU as I would like mine a bit more bitter than what I have produced.

TS

Hi guys

Been on here for a while but this is my first post, I love Hop Hog so when I saw this thread I just had to get involved!

To date I've brewed 3 batches using the Coopers Starter kit and I'm totally hooked on brewing as a hobby:)

My first couple of brew were purely cans with dry hopping so this brew is more advanced than I'm used to...all this is to say, be gentle if I ask a dumb-ass question!

I've got all the ingredients from my LHBS - The only alteration being, the LHBS was out of Centennial so on the recommendation of the owner I swapped it out for Cascade
INGREDIENTS
1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped
60g Cascade (replacing Centennial)
60g Citra
30g Galaxy
US-05

Questions:
I have a large bag to boil the grains but no bags for the hops so can I
1) Add the hops to the Grain bag as Im boiling, or
2) Simply chuck the Hops straight into the pot?

​If I decide on option 2, will running the wort through a sieve when transferring to the FV collect all the residue or do the pellets break up completely?

Cheers
C

Chuck the hops straight in. They break up and generally settle to the bottom. If you rack to a bottling bucket and bulk prime then you won't notice anything. If you bottle straight from the fermenter you may get a couple of cloudier first and last bottles but otherwise it'll all be good.
If you go with the hop levels in this recipe then a bottling bucket is a good idea as there is a fair amount of stuff sitting in the fermenter and it's easier to get it out through a hose into a bucket than individual bottles via a wand

Chucking the hops straight in also means one less thing which might transfer nasties into your brew.

I bottled mine last week, so it'll be good to go in another fortnight

Latest posts

Back