Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lochem said:
- indeed I dry hopped the same as his recipe

- dry hopped on day 8

- started cold crash on evening between days 10-11

- bottled on day 14
I'm pretty excited about this one. Have to stop myself from opening the fridge continuously. You can smell the hops in the fermenter and it's bubbling nicely.

Lochem said:
Johnny, do you have any kind of temp control in your setup? Or is your bucket/ferm vessel temp fluctuating?
Yeah I've got an old fridge with a thermostat, it's the first brew I've done in the fridge though and today I was moving it and the fermenter fell out. So that can't be good.
I've done 2 brews before this one and had the fv sitting in a tub of water with a wet towel around it. I would throw frozen ice water bottles in it.

Lochem said:
Does your thermostat have manual temp control? If not, get an Elitech stc-1000. Google it. Best thing you can do for your brews.

Yeah I'm not sure what the brand is but I got it from craft brewer. First time using it.

Put this down tonight after a fair bit of research;

Hop Hogger - extract recipe

1.5kg of Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt
1.5kg of Coopers Light Liquid Malt
500g of Coopers Dry Light Malt
250g of Crystal 20 - steeped
250g of Carapils - steeped
10g of Galaxy @ 60min
15g of Cascade, centennial & citra @ 10min
10g of Galaxy @ 10min
15g of Centennial & citra @ 0min
10g of Galaxy @ 0min
10g of Cascade, centennial, citra - dry hopped after 7 days
Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Smells and looks good. I know a lot of people use Munich or Caramunich in Ferals HH clones but the light Crystal and Carapils are what I had on-hand and should be Ok I think. 145g of hops in all, in a 24lt batch. Est at 42 IBUs, a fair bit lower than the 50 IBUs of the original HH but I chickened out a bit when formulating up the recipe, 50 IBUs seems like a lot!

Some people have advised that it can be dry hopped really aggressively but 30g seems like a good start, this is the start of my own search for the clone and one can only get so far reading. I'll be taking lotsa notes so I won't repeat any mistakes and to help out for my second attempt once I see how this one went :).

Here's Hoping!

I haven't used this yeast before and it's only my second time using a liquid yeast. It will be interesting to see how it differs from good ol' S-05 which has been my trusty companion for so long. I'm excited to see how it goes; two weeks in the brew fridge at 18'c then racked to 2ndary for another week cold crashed before bottling. Then a month conditioning before my first try... dammit but that sounds like a long time.

I'll be back in around 7 weeks to report :D

I would try it before the month is up. Try it every now and then and you'll get a good idea of what the yeast is doing

I've put a version of this tasty brew on my backlog of recipes to try! it's about 4th in line but my have to be moved forward after my first ever tasting of the real deal a week ago. It amazing!

menoetes said:
Put this down tonight after a fair bit of research;

Hop Hogger - extract recipe

1.5kg of Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt
1.5kg of Coopers Light Liquid Malt
500g of Coopers Dry Light Malt
250g of Crystal 20 - steeped
250g of Carapils - steeped
10g of Galaxy @ 60min
15g of Cascade, centennial & citra @ 10min
10g of Galaxy @ 10min
15g of Centennial & citra @ 0min
10g of Galaxy @ 0min
10g of Cascade, centennial, citra - dry hopped after 7 days
Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Smells and looks good. I know a lot of people use Munich or Caramunich in Ferals HH clones but the light Crystal and Carapils are what I had on-hand and should be Ok I think. 145g of hops in all, in a 24lt batch. Est at 42 IBUs, a fair bit lower than the 50 IBUs of the original HH but I chickened out a bit when formulating up the recipe, 50 IBUs seems like a lot!

Some people have advised that it can be dry hopped really aggressively but 30g seems like a good start, this is the start of my own search for the clone and one can only get so far reading. I'll be taking lotsa notes so I won't repeat any mistakes and to help out for my second attempt once I see how this one went :).

Here's Hoping!
I have a pile of similar ingredients as you and all the hops so I might follow your lead this Friday. I don't mind upping the IBU either ,( eg SN Torpedo IPA sits at 65 IBU and very tasty.) so might pop in some extra hops at around 15 to 20m mark.

Just dry hopped yesterday. She started at OG 1045 and is sitting stopped around 1013, I figure after bottling that brings her to around 4.6%. A fair bit lighter on alcohol than the real thing bit I'm ok with that.

The taste out of the hydrometer flask was full of hoppy goodness, still quite green but that'll improve with time. All in all, I'm very excited about this beer. I cold crash all of next week then into the bottles!

menoetes said:
Just dry hopped yesterday. She started at OG 1045 and is sitting stopped around 1013, I figure after bottling that brings her to around 4.6%. A fair bit lighter on alcohol than the real thing bit I'm ok with that.

The taste out of the hydrometer flask was full of hoppy goodness, still quite green but that'll improve with time. All in all, I'm very excited about this beer. I cold crash all of next week then into the bottles!
did you follow the same extract recipe? im wondering how you got such a low OG.... :huh:

I filled up to 24lts volume. That's where my OG drops.

Not an accident either, I don't generally brew anything over 5% ABV if I can help it. I know that calling it a clone but brewing a lower ABV and IBU beer might seem like a bit of a stretch but I am still chasing that same taste; just in something resembling a session beer.

menoetes said:
I filled up to 24lts volume. That's where my OG drops.

Not an accident either, I don't generally brew anything over 5% ABV if I can help it. I know that calling it a clone but brewing a lower ABV and IBU beer might seem like a bit of a stretch but I am still chasing that same taste; just in something resembling a session beer.

absolutely reasonable. you should never feel the need to apologise for your homebrew!! horses for courses (isnt that how you aussies say it?)

the HH is a really good taste to clone so why not go for it! please update how it turns out. thanks

So after a delay on bottling it I finally got my attempt in bottles about 8 days ago. After a shit day I couldn't resist trying a little sample and considering it can only get better from here I am very impressed!

Already organising a BBQ so I can show it off to my mates!

25 days in the primary. I still had some carbonation drops left so used them but I got another fee tee the other day so will bulk prime from now on.

Another week on the bottle and it has improved even more! It struggles to hold a head though, not sure if that is the glasses I'm using to drink from or what.

Back