Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's too fast. I usually use US05 and it is often done after 5 days. I usually leave it for 14 days regardless and don't even bother checking gravity until it really looks like its done (I use a bunnings 30l FV with glad wrap so I can see what's going on instead of a lid with airlock).

However, I sometimes check the gravity if it looks like its not doing it's thing.

Yes if the yeast is healthy they will get though most wort in 5 days. Most people have clean up time of about another week where the yeast cleans up and improves the beers flavour, reduces sediment and a few other things. Some people rack onto another fermenter at this point. As the temp got up to 24 deg I think this would have speeded up the fermenting process as well. Although I cant advise it as best practice but I take quite a few samples during the fermenting process to see how the taste is coming along and I measure gravity along the way as well.

Wow. Wilson.

Im on 6 full days now since pitching. OG 1.062 and now I'm at 1.018.... the yeast picked up activity again today is this normal?

Anyway just so u know this tastes pretty spot on and I'm not even in bottles yet.
Cheers to you mate
Clink

update:

just dry hopped with the 20 g centennial and 20g citra. i was worried about opening the fermenter lid (contamination etc) but whatever - hope for the best!

i had a peek at what's going on in there, and im curious, it seems as though the krausen rose together with hop bits and now these hop bits have stuck to the sides, forming a green ring about a few cm high. nothing seems infected, and it all smells and tastes fine. im just curious if there is anything lost in the hops being stuck in this ring above the beer level, and if yes, how can that be avoided in the future?

thanks!

Hey Lochem,
You've already extracted most of the goodness out of that ring of hops you see. They were the hops from the boil that you poured straight into the fermenter right?
Next time you can just strain them out after the boil.
The ones you just added (dry hop) will float for a while then eventually sink, all the while they will be imparting extra hoppy goodness on your brew.
Best of luck, look forward to hearing how it tastes.

Ok thanks, I guessed it was ok, but unsure. Maybe next time I'll pour the wort thru a flour sifter. I was just curious if doing so would be detrimental to the potential flavors and aromas from the hops not sitting in there during these two weeks.

But if you're saying the boil took it all out already, sifting could be fine.
Maybe I'll do a side by side.

I keep finding myself saying that.

Cheers

I'm really enjoying this. It's by far the best beer I've made so far (I've only made eight beers though). I'm going to make it again real soon. Look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts on it when they make it themselves.

WWDWD said:
I'm really enjoying this. It's by far the best beer I've made so far (I've only made eight beers though). I'm going to make it again real soon. Look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts on it when they make it themselves.
How longs it been bottled now bud?? I'm very keen to try this. Is it quite close to hop hog??

It's still only been three weeks in the bottle. I've been having Hop Hog at the pub a lot lately and I'd say this is close but there's still lots of room for improvement. I think some of the hops need to be upped... but I'm not sure which ones. Are you making it?

WWDWD said:
It's still only been three weeks in the bottle. I've been having Hop Hog at the pub a lot lately and I'd say this is close but there's still lots of room for improvement. I think some of the hops need to be upped... but I'm not sure which ones. Are you making it?
I will definitely be making it next weekend I really like the sound of it. Any tips or suggestions??? It will be my first extract brew. Been doing kits for few years so any tips you have are welcome! I'm extremely keen to make this. Can't wait for next weekend!

update:

i bottled 12 stubbies of this without cold crashing. 5-6 days after bottling, obvoiusly not too clear, and still a bit of butterscotch/toffee flavors because the yeast still has sugar to eat -

but VERY tasty - and a great first brew for me! cheers for the recipe, id love to know how you put it together? is it just experience that gave you the idea of which hops to use?

good stuff, ill let you know how the rest come out after cold crashing.

WWDWD said:
Not too difficult... but I did a few brews to work my way up to this one. This is my 7th brew. I would try a new or more advanced technique with each brew. My first few were shockers but I learned a whole lot from them.

INGREDIENTS
1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped
60g Centennial
60g Citra
30g Galaxy
US-05

METHOD

1. Steep cracked Medium Crystal Grain for 30mins in 1.5L of 70C water

2. Add grain liquid to a bigger pot, top it up to 6L and mixed in 700g Light DME. Bring to the boil and add the following hop additions.

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

3. Let wort cool for 20mins. Add to fermenter. Add liquid light malt and liquid wheat malt plus cool water to bring up to 21L and roughly 20C- 22C

4. Give it a good stir for a minute then sprinkle the yeast on top.

5. Ferment at 18c for 7 days/

6. Dry hop on Day 8 with

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop

7. Drop it down to 3C on about day12

8. Bulk prime with 135g dextrose on the day 14 and bottle

Actual OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.011
ABV about 5.7%

It's only been in the bottle one week so it'll no doubt improve. It is really easy to drink though. If you make it, please report back here with any changes to the recipe you make and any ideas on improving it further.
I put this down yesterday with a few small changes:
I used
2kg of liquid malt instead of 1.5
1.5kg of Briess wheat malt
0.7kg do LDM
As well as 150g of medium crystal grains steeped.

I also boiled with the LDM, steeped grain and 1kg of the LME and then added the rest into the fermenter.

Slight change in the hops
I used 10g of Magnum at 60min instead of the galaxy.
But followed the rest of your hop bill and planning to dry hop the same.

I used Us-05 as well.

OG was 1056.

Currently sitting in the fridge at 18 degrees and looking forward to trying it.

Sounds interesting, definitely interested to hear how it turns out. Mine is now two weeks bottled, first brew and is very good. Haven't done a side by side yet with hop hog tho. I pretty much followed Wilson's recipe, except for the yeast (I used Nottingham).

PS for all the noobs (me) please explain what's LDM?

LDM = Light Dry Malt (Extract), or LDME. Or given that most people use this type of dry extract it's commonly referred to as just DME.
LME = Liquid Malt Extract

Keen to hear how your HH goes! it's one of my favourite beers.

Did you know Notto has the reputation of muting hops? I've only just used it recently on low-hopped beers, so i don't have experience with this myself. I'm only repeating what i've read from others.

Notto = Nottingham yeast.

I'm not 100% sure if hop-muting refers to just hop flavours & aromas or the bitterness as well. Could well be the whole lot. Hopefully someone with actual experience of this will chime in soon.
I believe it's better suited to more malt-focused beers or if you want to ferment at a very low temperature (for an ale yeast) - eg: a fake/faux lager - as it's able to continue fermenting down to 13-14°C (a few degrees colder than most other ale strains. Like i've said, i've only just started playing with it so i'm really just parroting stuff i've read from more experienced brewers. See what you think with your results.

Lochem said:
Sounds interesting, definitely interested to hear how it turns out. Mine is now two weeks bottled, first brew and is very good. Haven't done a side by side yet with hop hog tho. I pretty much followed Wilson's recipe, except for the yeast (I used Nottingham).

PS for all the noobs (me) please explain what's LDM?
Did you dry hop the same hop bill as Wilson? If so when did you put it in after 8days and then how long until you bottled?
Did you cold crash at all?

Johnny Ringo said:
Did you dry hop the same hop bill as Wilson? If so when did you put it in after 8days and then how long until you bottled?
Did you cold crash at all?
- indeed I dry hopped the same as his recipe

- dry hopped on day 8

- started cold crash on evening between days 10-11

- bottled on day 14

Great original! Never heard of it until reading this post earlier today-

Just finishing a pint at the local right now- winner

Will have to try this as a HB soon!!

Back