Hop Hog Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WWDWD said:
Almost a week in (brewed 13/2/14) and it looks like it's pretty much done. Sitting at 1.012 currently. I'll dryhop in a couple of days then drop it down to 2C or 3C a few days before bottling.

I'm smelling lots of passionfruit. This would be from the Galaxy right? There's enough passionfruit in there so I might drop the Galaxy from the dryhop.
If I dry hop with galaxy it's for 1-2 days and only .5g/L

For this beer I would go with your gut and drop it, so you get a piny/citrusy nose coming through, not fruit salad! It is an IPA after all!

Cool. I'll still dryhop with the Citra & Centennial.

Gave it a taste from the hydrometer and it was still very sweet. Should I be worried?

WWDWD said:

Gave it a taste from the hydrometer and it was still very sweet. Should I be worried?
Depends on the reading???

If it is over 1014 then it may need longer. But if it is 1012 then that should be OK for extract. As long as it is a few days steady.

WWDWD said:
Have you considered racking into another fermenter with the dry hop to let the yeast finish attenuating

No I haven't. I generally just keep it in the primary for 14 days taking it down to 2C for the last two or three days .

Dropped this down to 3C on 26/2 and bottled last night (28/2). Bulk primed (a first for me) with 130g dextrose. I'll probably sneak a taste in a weeks time as my last beer was very drinkable one week in. I'll report back with a comparison.

I couldn't help but crack this open one week in the bottle. It is good! Fairly similar. Taste is quite close. The real hop hog is more carbed and has a bit more body to it. Colour is pretty fuggin' spot on! My nose is playing up so I'll get back to you on aroma. They're both pretty fruity tho. Very happy right now as this is my first attempt at an all extract... and first real attempt at replicating a beer with my own recipe.

I say make it!

And work out how we can improve on it/get it closer.

hop hog on the left / homebrew on the right

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394186839.217630.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394186900.959297.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394186882.523023.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394186955.553942.jpg

WWDWD said:
I couldn't help but crack this open one week in the bottle. It is good! Fairly similar. Taste is quite close. The real hop hog is more carbed and has a bit more body to it. Colour is pretty fuggin' spot on! My nose is playing up so I'll get back to you on aroma. They're both pretty fruity tho. Very happy right now as this is my first attempt at an all extract... and first real attempt at replicating a beer with my own recipe.

I say make it!

And work out how we can improve on it/get it closer.
Hey, im a noob and still havent brewed even my first homebrew but ive been enjoying a mate's homebrew for years and he's been giving me lots of tips and education....
im about to get to the HBS to pick up some kit gear. i REALLY love the hop hog!! and your recipe will likely be my first homebrew - unless you recommend against it?

from my inexperienced eyes, it reads a bit more complicated than usual first kit recipes, but im an engineer and i like to learn things :) id like to give this one a go...

which one is the final recipe that your'e reporting on now? i saw you posted a few different combinations...

thanks!

Lochem

Hey Lochem - as a recent newbie to the scene - this brew isn't tough. It's reasonably straight forward with the boil schedule etc. You'll grow your inventory pretty quick if you buy all the hops in 100g + pellets. Step it through and I'm sure the kind folks on here will be more than happy to help if you have any Q's. Message me if you want and I'm happy to give my mobile if that'll help on brewday (i'm no expert but can prob help answer some Q's).

I'm going to give this a crack. About to bottle a 150 lashes mimic and it was no more difficult than this.

Good luck with the brew.

Not too difficult... but I did a few brews to work my way up to this one. This is my 7th brew. I would try a new or more advanced technique with each brew. My first few were shockers but I learned a whole lot from them.

INGREDIENTS
1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped
60g Centennial
60g Citra
30g Galaxy
US-05

METHOD

1. Steep cracked Medium Crystal Grain for 30mins in 1.5L of 70C water

2. Add grain liquid to a bigger pot, top it up to 6L and mixed in 700g Light DME. Bring to the boil and add the following hop additions.

10g galaxy @ 60 mins

20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins

20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

3. Let wort cool for 20mins. Add to fermenter. Add liquid light malt and liquid wheat malt plus cool water to bring up to 21L and roughly 20C- 22C

4. Give it a good stir for a minute then sprinkle the yeast on top.

5. Ferment at 18c for 7 days/

6. Dry hop on Day 8 with

20g centennial @ dryhop
20g citra @ dryhop

7. Drop it down to 3C on about day12

8. Bulk prime with 135g dextrose on the day 14 and bottle

Actual OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.011
ABV about 5.7%

It's only been in the bottle one week so it'll no doubt improve. It is really easy to drink though. If you make it, please report back here with any changes to the recipe you make and any ideas on improving it further.

hi there
i went over to the HBS today and picked up everything i need for the recipe - and being that its my first brew im excited :)

he gave me a slightly different yeast packet tho, but i think other than that its all the same.

also, i have a buddy who is a veteran brewer and he recommends putting in those 10 minute hop additions at 5 minutes instead, and to drop the dry extract. but maybe ill try both versions and report back.

also, i intend to boil the wort in an aluminum pot, so please give some tips on how to handle that; i have read mixed reviews about using aluminum.

i also want to understand something: why are u suggesting to mix in the LME tins only AFTER the boil???? i thought we boil the extract....no??

thanks

WWDWD said:
3. Let wort cool for 20mins. Add to fermenter. Add liquid light malt and liquid wheat malt plus cool water to bring up to 21L and roughly 20C- 22C
Just wondering if you strained the wort into the fermenter or just chucked the whole lot in?

Strained into the fermenter. Cheers for picking up on that

Oh well. Too late now! That's ok though.

I've got the bucket in a fridge, inside temp says 12c but the sticker on the bucket says 18c...

Nice strong bubbling activity every three-five seconds. I used Danstar Nottingham ale yeast, btw, dry packet rehydrated.

Lochem said:
Oh well. Too late now! That's ok though.

I've got the bucket in a fridge, inside temp says 12c but the sticker on the bucket says 18c...

Nice strong bubbling activity every three-five seconds. I used Danstar Nottingham ale yeast, btw, dry packet rehydrated.
I'm sure it will be fine. Just drop it to 2C or 3C for a couple of days before bottling to help stuff drop out a bit more. Look forward to hearing your results.

quick update:

my OG was around 1.060

4 days into fermentation, its approx. 1.020

bubbling has slowed to around every 15 seconds. the temp has been between 18-24 C inside the fermenter.

has the gravity gone down too fast?

Could be done. Trick is to check that the gravity reading remains the same for a few days.

Back