Hop Dealz Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belle Saison from Danstar was pretty good for a dry yeast. And from people's comments on here, a lot less problematic than some of the wet strains.
The Munich didn't seem to have much character though.

It's the Danstar products Im having trouble sourcing mate, current stockists that I have tried are at this point unwilling to supply me.

Will try contacting Danstar directly and see what can be worked out. As noted, Ive got a line into Fermentis but Danstar is currently still an issue. I will update here when Ive got a track around the current road blocks.

Cheers

Mate, the BRY-97 is a nice yeast, but nothing too different from the US05. Personally, if it's difficult to source because there's roadblocks being put up, I'd just source the US05. US05 is a fine yeast, and neither really have much character.

While I hate S04, you don't have any English style yeasts there, so that could be a possibility?

Also, I personally prefer the S-189 and 34/70 to the S23, but that's just personal preference.

Given the yeasts you've listed, I think you're covering bases pretty well. As mentioned, maybe just an English style yeast?

Yeah mate I hear what you are saying, I really want Windsor but being Danstar is subject to those same roadblocks.

Will continue to dig my trenches.. looking forward to getting it done

ordered yesterday before lunch and my hops just showed up! how quick was that!

Very impressed.

I've skimmed through the thread and noticed you've got the potential to pick orders up around the schedule of your new bub (congrats btw!). Forgive me if i missed the answer, but how do we go about that? Email the order? PM?

Via email as first contact I think mate,

Ive got the Wife and bub home as of yesterday so thats kinda out for the moment now.... well, may be possible over the next week while I am still here, contact phone number is on the site to arrange details.

Very glad you are happy with the service too :beer:

Yob said:
Sooo, bit of an update, It seems that Im not able to source BRY-97 as in, from this country as some folks out there are displeased with me and would rather I pack up.. which aint gunna happen. I guess I shouldnt be surprised about this reaction from them.

Mild Rant over, meanwhile, at the farm...

I am planning on getting a limited supply, (As noted earlier) of

BRY-97 (At this point, I will be working toward other ways and means of access)

US-05
WB-06
S-23
T-58

None of which I have used (except the US-05) and nor am I familiar with them. Though I will have access to box's of these Yeasts, I will to begin with only stock a limited supply of each to get a feel for the desire for these particular yeasts. If you think there is a better example of a yeast for the style in place of one or more of these, please let me know as I am hoping to get them in the door in the next few days.

Yob
WB06 isn't bad. I never got much banana with it, but I did get a good (but not overpowering) amount of clove. It's a passable wheat beer yeast. t-58 is better relative to its wet cousin - I've used it for a belgian blonde x british bitter - long story, but I managed to mix up yeasts with a bitter and I got all the typical markers for Belgian ale yeasts.

Mate, I'm happy to order US05 from you. Any idea of postage, if we choose only yeast? I mean, can you pop a packet or two in an envelope and then post? Are the packs the 12g Fermentis size ones, or do you do personally allocated amounts viz Hobart Home brew shop with their 7g non-descript packets.

s23 - toddler gold. Not sure but I'll research it for myself and if you want, I'll let you know via PM some feedback.

Just ordered some Victoria's Secret Flowers, the description of pineapple/resiny pine sounds amazing. Great price too Yob.

cheers

browndog

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
WB06 isn't bad. I never got much banana with it, but I did get a good (but not overpowering) amount of clove. It's a passable wheat beer yeast. t-58 is better than wb06 when comparing it relative to its wet cousin - I've used it for a belgian blonde x british bitter - long story, but I managed to mix up yeasts with a bitter and I got all the typical markers for Belgian ale yeasts.

Mate, I'm happy to order US05 from you. Any idea of postage, if we choose only yeast? I mean, can you pop a packet or two in an envelope and then post? Are the packs the 12g Fermentis size ones, or do you do personally allocated amounts viz Hobart Home brew shop with their 7g non-descript packets.

s23 - toddler gold. Not sure but I'll research it for myself and if you want, I'll let you know via PM some feedback.

browndog said:
Just ordered some Victoria's Secret Flowers, the description of pineapple/resiny pine sounds amazing. Great price too Yob.

cheers

browndog
Packing right now... damn its sticky stuff man.. doesnt show too well in the photo but I think you can see it clear enough.. that resin on my hand is from packing a single 450g bag... by the time I finish the rest of them I'll not be able to touch anything without sticking to it :lol:

Sticky Icky.JPG

@ Goomba, will be the pre packaged form, not going to get into re-packaging at this point, I dont want the responsibility of it, Ive not got the right gear and conditions to do so.

Will be able to just bung it in an envelope if you wish to get just yeast, Nay Bother.

the more I'm reading the more Im leaning toward 34-70

:icon_cheers:

Yob said:
Packing right now... damn its sticky stuff man.. doesnt show too well in the photo but I think you can see it clear enough.. that resin on my hand is from packing a single 450g bag... by the time I finish the rest of them I'll not be able to touch anything without sticking to it :lol:

attachicon.gif
Sticky Icky.JPG
Giddyup, looks like I might have to christen the hop rocket with them !

34/70 is a pretty good lager yeast. Can be a sulphury bugger though, but if you can't get S189, it's a close second.

My dried lager yeast of choice is 34/70. I've also used s23 in the past.

IMO 34/70 is cleaner if handled correctly but it's higher maintenance. s23 you can treat more like crap but still get a decent cleanish lager (higher ferment temps, pitching rates etc).

I have made good beers with both.

Also I think WB-06 is a belgian wit yeast. No bananna and the only times I have used it (twice) I pitched it onto 50/50 pils/wheat with 15 IBU of something noble at 60 mins and it came out very close to Hoegaarten and nothing like a Hef.

Still a good dried yeast though.

Nick JD said:
34/70 is a pretty good lager yeast. Can be a sulphury bugger though, but if you can't get S189, it's a close second.
I can source 189 but only in bricks, as Ive already stated I dont trust that I can split in a perfect environment (or close to) so I wont do so.

Yob said:
I can source 189 but only in bricks, as Ive already stated I dont trust that I can split in a perfect environment (or close to) so I wont do so.

I'm not sure the other retailers who repack dried yeast are doing it in a hermetically-sealed environment.

Do you really need to be in a laboratory or something to split yeast bricks? Why would they sell them to homebrewers if that was the case?

I could be totally wrong, but I mean, it's dry yeast isn't it? Can you somehow infect dried yeast? Seeing as how it's .. dried?

When the brick is opened airborne bacterial spores and wild yeast can drift in. When you go to pitch you're then not only rehydrating your yeast but a bunch of other stuff too.

Probably not a massive issue if a modicum of care is taken but Yob's hesitancy is understandable, espcecially considering potential damage to reputation etc, and his general respect for fellow brewers.

stakka82 said:
When the brick is opened airborne bacterial spores and wild yeast can drift in. When you go to pitch you're then not only rehydrating your yeast but a bunch of other stuff too.

Probably not a massive issue if a modicum of care is taken but Yob's hesitancy is understandable, espcecially considering potential damage to reputation etc, and his general respect for fellow brewers.
+1

I appreciate Yob's openness and honesty regards this matter and his integrity in all my dealings with him.

Back