Hop Bill Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking that maybe the ten minute steep you spoke of above may have added enough IBU. You could be around the 40 IBU.

Your no chill figure was 48. Is that calculated for the small partial boil you do with kits? I'm not familiar with Brewmate.

The 20 IBU I came up with was for a straight boil. I don't know the the AA rating of your hops.

OK, had another look and you are saying you are actually at 23 IBU + the 10 steep before chilling. That would most likely put your beer at around 30 IBU. Therefore add enough hops to take it to the level you are after.

Hi Hoppy2B.In the original , I let the boil steep for 10 mins before adding to the wort then chilled in the FV with ice water.

My actual IBU using the BrewMate calculations had my IBU at 29.5. There was no place to measure any IBU that may have been added during the steep.

I edited my last post with what I've done. Looks like I am about to add another 15 IBU's. I can live with that.

If it turns out ok well it will be a true Australian beer- Bastardised.

Three Sheets said:
" I'm in the process of doing a coopers pale ale with their No 2 brew booster - Green bullet 10g @ 30m 10g @ 15 m and 10g @ flame out. Currently waiting for it to Steep for 30 mins. which is why I'm trying my beer now. "
This turned out to be rather bland with the old fashioned and home brew tang. Should improve with time but for me I could comfortably doubled the hops.

One and a half stars.

I think you'll be around 50- 55 IBU with your latest effort.

Three Sheets said:
Done.

3KG of Liquid LME
125g Corn sugar
150g dextrose
250 dry LME

15 g @ 60 POR
10 g @ 20 POR
20g @ 10 Galaxy
10g @ 0 Green Dragon

Steeped for 10 mins.

200 grams Crystal steeped 45 mins

Unfortunately I didn't adjust Brew Mate to take into account my POR was 5.6% AA as opposed to the 8.3 default from Brew mate.

This crashed my IBU to 23. ( I chilled it with ice water pretty quickly however how does one account for the 10 min steep??)

Hopefully I haven't made this too sweet.

Open to suggestions for dry hopping this.( or should I not?)

Cheers
Edit - ok my hop tea ended up with a boil of POR 15g @ 15mins and Galaxy 5g @ 10mins
then poured this onto 5 g each of Green Bullet, Galaxy and POR.

OK the "sample" bottles of this turned out very good and tomorrow night I tap the keg my Aussie based Ale. The British one with the Fuggles and E K Golding was a bit sweet for my liking and I'll need to be a little more aggressive when using these hops. Currently bubbling away is an extract IPA ,with predominantly Chinook , with a touch of Centennial and Simcoe.

How did your Aussie based ale turn out? I don't expect to hear any complaints regarding too low an IBU. :lol:

Turned out very nice HB. Will use it as a base to tweak. IBU was fine but I'll chase a few more. (I'll be more careful when using the spread sheet so I don't need the secondary tea.)

THE POR was overwhelmed by the Galaxy but the combo of the three was smooth.

So I need to play with this -

15 g @ 60 POR
10 g @ 20 POR
20g @ 10 Galaxy
10g @ 0 Green Bullet.

About to put down 1.5 kg of Amber and 1.5 kg of Extra light liquid malts with 500 grams Dry light malt, 250 grams dextrose, with 200 grams of Cara malt grain infusion pack. Yeast either 04 or 05.

The voices in my head have told me to use Green Bullet (AA 13%) and Citra (AA13%).

Suggestions for the boil and dry hops welcome (IBU 40 to 65)................and is the Infusion pack a waste in this brew?

TS

Three Sheets said:
About to put down 1.5 kg of Amber and 1.5 kg of Extra light liquid malts with 500 grams Dry light malt, 250 grams dextrose, with 200 grams of Cara malt grain infusion pack. Yeast either 04 or 05.

The voices in my head have told me to use Green Bullet (AA 13%) and Citra (AA13%).

Suggestions for the boil and dry hops welcome (IBU 40 to 65)................and is the Infusion pack a waste in this brew?

TS
Hop bill was -
7g @ 30m Citra
7g @ 30m Green Bullet
15g @ 20m Citra
15g @ 20m Green Bullet
10g @ 10m Citra
10g @ 10m Green bullet

Note that the GB had an AA of 11.5

I also made it up to 24 litres ( I have found that 20 litres with 3kg of liquid malt and a brew booster is just too much body for my US IPA I am currently drinking
)

Three Sheets said:
Hop bill was -
7g @ 30m Citra
7g @ 30m Green Bullet
15g @ 20m Citra
15g @ 20m Green Bullet
10g @ 10m Citra
10g @ 10m Green bullet

Note that the GB had an AA of 11.5

I also made it up to 24 litres ( I have found that 20 litres with 3kg of liquid malt and a brew booster is just too much body for my US IPA I am currently drinking
)
This turned out pretty good. Medium body, nice bitterness , Hops distinctly citrus . I'd leave out the 10g @ 10m Citra next time and I think that would make it perfect.

Latest posts

Back