Hop Bill Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

So how important is the size of the boil when it comes to IBU??? I don't have a pot that can take more than 4 litres.

Big W sell 20L Stockpots for $20. They have 100 other uses in the brewery once you outgrow them too.

Those pots are great. I do AG in them. Total cost of my set up... that pot,.

I'll keep an eye out for a pot. I don't think I'll move to full grain brewing until I retire, if results from extract as already this good , so do I need a bigger boil to get more out of the hops?? I use around 500 grams of extract with 4 litres of water.

Perhaps I nearly jagged it first go but I'll be tweaking this one for my American Style beers.

1040 is often quoted as the ideal gravity for hop utilisation, that'd make your gravity a touch high, as homebrewers we don't have to worry too much about that but it's a good number to go by for small boils.

hoppy2B said:
How about an English bitter with maybe 40 to 50 grams of dark crystal and 80 grams each of Golding and Fuggles as a late addition?
Being very happy with my first Extract US ALE I might have a go at a UK one- (found Spitfire very nice).

So once again I welcome suggestions, with hops stock -
Fuggles
Centennial
Chinook
Galaxy
Ccascade
Citra
EK Goldings
Simco
POR
Green Bullet

By the way I have two cans of Morgans Master Brew enhancer (Contains 2 Row Pale Malt Extract, Glucose and Honey.) and 2 cans of Morgans Larger Malt (Contains 100% 2 Row Barley Lager Malt being 1350g of barley malt.)

I will use two tins but do I mix and match them?

Yob said:
Fuggles and EKG to about ~35 IBU
50/50 combo from bittering and all the way through?

How do these two go with dry hopping?

Any thoughts on the extracts?

Hi people.

Can anyone post a link for an IBU calculator (metric) I cant recall the last one I used.

I thinking I might use some of my Green Bullet (11% AA) for bittering my British ale too. 20g @ 60 minutes.

Apparently Green Bullet's relo is Fuggles.

TS

Thanks again Yobs,

So here is the hop plan for opinion -

20g @ 60 mins Green bullet

25 x 25 Fuggles EK Goldings @ 15 mins

15 EK Goldings @ 5 mins

15 EK Golding @ 0 mins

Steep for 20 mins.

22 litres IBU of 43

3 kg of liquid malt 200 grams dry, Safele 04

Yob said:
Only 1 pack?
1 pack ? If you mean yeast, yes. Currently drinking my keg of aforementioned US Ale concoction and can report its right up there for reward for effort. I would love to try some of what the full grain brewers out.

anyway I have now moved to extract and hops brewing for the time being.

Decided to skip the Green Bullets

Fuggles 15g @ 60m

Fuggles 25 @ 30 m

E K Golding 30 @ 15m

E K Golding 15 @ 5 m

22 litre the 2 tins of malt and 500grams of Coopers Brew booster #2.

35 -40 IBU.

Thanks Hoppy2B. I really should sit down and read it several times.

Looks like my brew will sit around 40 IBU.

At current rates It wont be long before its time to order some new hops. I am liking the piney type above the fruity ones, not so keen on the floral.

So any suggestions for a piney hop?

Chinook is meant to be piney. I have never brewed with it but have some approaching harvest and am looking forward to using it.

I notice a lot of people grow a combination of Chinook and Cascade so they may go well together.

, not so keen on the floral.

If you don't like floral stay away from Goldings
I hate them for this reason

Chinook and columbus if you like the piney hops. More us than uk type hops though. Both of them play very nicely with just about any other us hop.

Latest posts

Back