Hop Bill Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three Sheets

Reaction score
Hi people, I'm after the collective thoughts of what hops to throw at my can of Morgans Caramalt Amber Liquid malt extract 1.5 kg combined with a can of Thomas Coopers light malt extract. I figured 3 kgs of LME will make up around 22 litres.

I have the following hops to choose from and this is where I seek suggestions on a Hop Bill -

All are pellets.

Fuggles
Centennial
Chinook
Galaxy
Ccascade
Citra
EK Goldings
Simco
POR
Green Bullet

I don't mind a hoppy beer.

Thoughts?

TIA

PS Yeast is Safale S.04

How about an English bitter with maybe 40 to 50 grams of dark crystal and 80 grams each of Golding and Fuggles as a late addition?

16g Cascade - 60 minute boil
25g Cascade @ 10 Minutes Boil
20g Chinook @10 Minutes Boil
20g Cascade @ Flame Out
25g Chinook @ Flame Out
25g Chinook Dry Hopped @ day 5 for 4-5 days

centennial at 60 to about 18IBU
EKG at 10 to about 10IBU
Fuggles at flameout for another 3 or 4 IBU
Cant be arsed putting it through software,
Im sure you can do that.

Yum beer's suggestion is good for an English bitter. Edit; a lot of UK breweries, even the mainstreams, are starting to blend in US hops.

I would normally use around 40g of a bittering hop such as EKG or Challenger then 20 or 30 of Fuggles, very rarely does my hop bill go into three figures.

However with S04 you can still go American Pale Ale, you could go three C's, Centennial, Chinook and Cascade in any order you like, 30g of each and end up with a very hoppy brew as well.

Thanks guys I'm appreciating the input.

My first go at an extract only if you hadn't gathered.

I do like hop hog, SN harvest, torpedo and most IPA's as a guide to my tastes

So many combo's. My bittering should probably come from Simco 11-15% Green Bullet 10-13% Galaxy 13%, Chinook 11-15% or even Centennial 7 to 12%.

Is it worth using 4 or move different hops from 60 mins to dry hop???

As I have an English bitter in the fridge, I'm leaning away from the Goldings and Fuggles.

With AUS UK USA and NZ I could concoct the a Nations Ale. (Might be a reason this is not done)

anyway thinking thus far is -

20g Simco @ 60 (or Galaxy or Green Bullet) ( wondering if this is enough bittering)

15g Chinook @ 45

15g Citra @ 30

??? @ 15
???? @ 10
??? @ 5

Cheers

TS

20g Simcoe @ 60 - Work out toal IBU you are after and go 1/3 max from the 60 min

10g Citra @ 30 -
10g Centennial @ 30 -
10g Simcoe @ 30 -

15g Citra @ 0 -
15g Centennial @ 0 -
15g Simcoe @ 0 -

Dry hop 10g of each @ 1014 or when you Cold condition.

Something like this will be delish :icon_drool2:

ed: off the top of my head without running it through brewmate, you might be looking at 50 - 60 IBU?

as I say, target the IBU you want, get 1/3 from the 60 and everything else late, play with the times and additions to achieve it.

:icon_cheers:

Thanks Yob,

20g Simcoe @ 60 puts on about 27 IBU With your suggested boil that 30 grams @ 30, another 32 IBU

So that is close as I'd be looking for 65-75 IBU range

So I might add a third tranche into the boil time. (possibly at 10 mins)

All done. Thanks people for your suggestions.

Here's what I've done, I've got time to think about the dry hopping.

20g Simcoe @ 60 -

10g Chinook @ 30 -
15g Centennial @ 30 -
10g Simcoe @ 30 -

10g Chinook@ 0 -
10g Centennial @ 0 -
10g Simcoe @ 0 -
Steeped for 20 mins

Thinking to dry hop Citra, Galaxy or the trio above but again open to suggestions.

TS

your call but citra is an AMAZING dry hop. i'd just go that by itself. looks nice though whatever you choose :)

Fletch is right on with the Citra every time it's come out far beyond all my expectations.

My personal view Chinook's a great bittering hop but always ends up, to my personal tastes a little harsh some times.

Citra it is then. 20 Grams I think should do it.

Bubbling away nicely. Smells awesome coming out of the airlock.

mmmmmmmm.

Last minute indecision - I have 10 grams of simcoe left, what's the thoughts of 10g Simcoe 10g Citra.?????

I know its all personal taste but how's this combo for dry hoping?

Common in 22 litres? Seems strong but I guess it will sit in a keg for five or six weeks.

Cheers

Ok I went with 20 grams Citra dry hop.

I'm currently drinking one of the surplus to keg stubbies and am very please with the result. Wife impressed.

This could be worthy of being published on the recipe folder, given the ease it can be made.

I'll see how it goes out of the keg. Great base to work from. Looking forward my next extract.

Thanks guys for the input.

TS

I'm in the process of doing a coopers pale ale with their No 2 brew booster - Green bullet 10g @ 30m 10g @ 15 m and 10g @ flame out. Currently waiting for it to Steep for 30 mins. which is why I'm trying my beer now.

I had promised myself not to try it for another week. Works out ok because I'll be in town this week and will buy my extract.

What an easy way to brew premium type homebrew.

The IBU seems a little less than anticipated and my taste buds will happily allow me to amp it up a touch next time.

Hop flavours could be a little more up front, if that makes sense. Any suggestions on how this could be achieved?

TS

Latest posts

Back