Hop Bill Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
helles said:
, not so keen on the floral.

If you don't like floral stay away from Goldings
I hate them for this reason
I like goldings but you need to pick the beer you're using them in. Fairly inconspicuous but don't add them in early or you won't get much from them.

helles said:
, not so keen on the floral.

If you don't like floral stay away from Goldings
I hate them for this reason
Well that might suck, because I just put down a brew loaded with EK Goldings. Still its rare my brews go down the drain. We shall see.

Three Sheets said:
Well that might suck, because I just put down a brew loaded with EK Goldings. Still its rare my brews go down the drain. We shall see.
I reckon you will be fine. Certainly not a bad hop. Just dont get a lot from them. Use with some other hops and it great. Even without other hops, doubt it would make a bad beer on its own.

As with some of the other comments here I consider Golding a difficult hop to pin down flavourwise. It definitely adds something but I wouldn't be able to describe it. I used to think it was vanilla but I now put that down to the particular yeast I used for one brew. I'm surprised that anyone would could it floral. I personally describe it as quite neutral.

Fuggle on the other hand seems to be pretty rich. You might want to go easy on the Fuggle if you don't like fruit flavours

Leaves me wondering what to dry hop it with. Was going to be 20 grams of EK Golding.

Dry hopping suggestions please? Will add probably tomorrow night.

Dry hopped with 10 gms EK Golding and 12 gms Fuggles.

Will report back in 3 or 4 weeks with taste test.

Next will be an Australian Beer playing with POR and Galaxy.

TS

Ok (hope this is the correct thread) I am about to embark on an Aussie ale. I have 2 cans of Morgan's malt and 500 grams of coopers brew enhancer,

So I have POR and Galaxy hops to play with but am considering bringing in Green bullet into the equation.

Open to suggestions as to hop bill.

If you want to make a good Aussie ale you will need to steep say 40 grams of dark crystal at 70 degrees for a half to 1 hour first before dissolving your malt and adding your hops.

25 - 30 grams of POR for 60 minutes or more depending on your IBU target

15 grams of Galaxy and the same of Green Bullet as a 10 minute additition if you want a bit of flavour. And dry hop the same again if desired.

US05 yeast.

An IBU of 40 plus should suit my pallet, and hopefully the wife's.

I've not used crystal before, what impact and role does it have on the beer?

POR seems to lack friends when late in the boil or dry hopping, why is that?

Note I wont be able to get any HB supplies till next Friday so crystal wont be part of this brew.

I have US05

Dark crystal will give your beer a sharp toffee flavour typical of beers like Coopers Pale Ale or maybe VB. It a flavour that seems to get lost in the extract manufacturing process to some degree. It will also sweeten the beer a bit and give better balance. The sweetness tend to fade as the beer ages.

My preference is to use light cans and add some dark crystal rather than go for a dark can.

Do you know the Alpha rating of your hops? The additions I suggested above should get you up over 40 IBU.

Ok. I scored 200 grams of crystal to give it a whirl.

Will probably brew this weekend.

Done.

3KG of Liquid LME
125g Corn sugar
150g dextrose
250 dry LME

15 g @ 60 POR
10 g @ 20 POR
20g @ 10 Galaxy
10g @ 0 Green Dragon

Steeped for 10 mins.

200 grams Crystal steeped 45 mins

Unfortunately I didn't adjust Brew Mate to take into account my POR was 5.6% AA as opposed to the 8.3 default from Brew mate.

This crashed my IBU to 23. ( I chilled it with ice water pretty quickly however how does one account for the 10 min steep??)

Hopefully I haven't made this too sweet.

Open to suggestions for dry hopping this.( or should I not?)

Cheers

It will be hell sweet if its dark crystal you used, so will need aging for a fair bit before you will be able to tolerate drinking it. I've seen other people on here recommend 200 grams of dark crystal but for me even 100 grams is too much.

You can always boil up a half to one litre of water and put some hops into it for 30 minutes and pour into the ferment vessel to give a bit more IBU. That's what I would do.

Thanks HB2

It was a light crystal. recommended for pilsners and lagers. My IBU via Brew mate comes in at 29.5, with the no chill rated at 48.

So I am hoping the 10 min steep from flame out will lift it from the 29.5 ( I added ice water once it hit the FV,)

I am wondering whether to try a bit after a few days before heading down you suggested path.

incidentally the Brewmate spread sheet lists the Crystal from 10 to 120 and none seem to effect the ibu calculator

Might add that Balance Value sits at 1.36 and BU:GU is at 0.59

Ok I am concerned this will be too sweet, but 29.5 couldn't be too far off the mark?

Any guess as to what the 10 mins from steep might have added?

Hoppy2B care to suggest a hop tea that could add 10 to 15 IBU's or should I just do a mini boil for a length of time.?

Actually, you should be ok with a Light Crystal. Cockos Sierra Nevada Pale Ale uses 500 gram of Medium Crystal for a standard batch if I recall correctly. The lighter the crystal the less sweet.

You should get close to 20 IBU for a 10 min addition of 30 grams of hops with an average alpha acid rating of 13% in a 1.040 wort if my calculations are correct. Does that sound right? :blink: It will be less than 20.

Its Green Bullet by the way. I went searching for Green Dragon hops to no avail. :lol: You wrote Green Bullet the first time.

Your beer should be fine as it is. It will probably be a cracker actually. :drinks:

Thanks I feel better now. Are you talking about a boil for 10 mins or steeping?

If its a boil as I think its what you mean, I was going use POR, and drop that into my coffee press and steep
a 50/50 blend of POR/Green BULLET.

Edit - ok my hop tea ended up with a boil of POR 15g @ 15mins and Galaxy 5g @ 10mins
then poured this onto 5 g each of Green Bullet, Galaxy and POR.

Steeping as I type. 30 mins - 60 mins I guess.

Latest posts

Back